Hornby MR 20t brake van upgrade ideas

If I could find decent photos and or drawings of the brake hangers I could do some cast ones for myself .... And maybe  a few extras for everyone else.

Dave Franks.

You are a tease, you naughty person... :good:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Mark, you've picqued my interest.  I had a look at my Essery LMS Wagon Drawings and LMS Wagons.  Every drawing and picture I've seen, with the exception of the D2096 (looks like a forerunner to BR brake), has two shoes per wheel.

You had me slightly concerned for a moment, thinking I might have to retrofit my brake vans, but I think I'm OK - a much later development than the period I'm working in.

John

Page 3, book 2 of the Wild Swan Essery drawings states:

"A note on the drawing suggests that the brakework was modified as the vehicles passed through the shops. Unfortunately we cannot trace this drawing" etc etc.

Could this be the twin brake shoe modification?

Mike.

In the same paragraph Essery goes to say that he doesn't know what the mod. was for.  It wouldn't do for me to speculate.  If the LMS drawing (of the 4 shoe brake) is extinct, perhaps a BR drawing will show up.  My library doesn't have much of BR in it.

John

• 2 months later...

I have a 1978 Airfix release of the LMS Brakevan in BR bauxite as B950016.

This model has yellow veranda ends and inner window surrounds as well as a yellow patch around the lookout ducket

Does anyone know if these were converted to Airbrake for working with speedlink services or did Airfix  just use there imagination?

I have been unable to find any photos of these type of Brake vans in this livery but did find an awesome photo of B950016 

in slightly weathered bauxite and CAP tops code in 20/09/81 on Paul Bartlett's excellent website.

If this does turn out to be a ficticious livery for these then time to hit the paint!

over to you RM Webbers

cheers Trailrage

• 4 years later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Excuse my lack of familiarity with the subject but were these vehicles ever painted bauxite during BR ownership? I intend to fabricate a ballast box and whatever else is needed - but the livery is a problem.

Brake-Van.jpg.253a87038c5b0a060f5b1896016f20fc.jpg

Cheers

Jack

Guest Jack Benson
7 minutes ago, 31A said:

The ones which were vacuum braked (or vacuum through piped) were.

Thank you, apart from brake piping, do I need to add anything more?

Cheers

Jack

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Thank you, apart from brake piping, do I need to add anything more?

Cheers

Jack

The parts that Dave Franks has mentioned, basically!

My comment was really in relation to BR brake van livery in general rather then specifically the ex LMS ones, and on reflection I'm not sure whether any of the ex LMS type were actually vacuum brake fitted (in which case no vacuum brake cylinders etc. to worry about) but several were certainly vacuum through piped and hence painted brown.

• 4 years later...
On 10/06/2014 at 11:10, Waveydavey said:

If you go for a prototype with the shallow ballast box Dave you'll more than likely need to change the duckets to the narrower early style too. Luckily Parkside will sell you them as a seperate moulding from their D.1659 brake van kit (PC49). I did this on a van I ran on Longcarse West and although I felt the need to reduce the height of the window opening to match photos they were otherwise a perfect fit.

There have been two very good articles on the LMS/BR Stanier brake van which are worth searching out.

Modellers Back Track Feb/March 1994 has an article on the prototype by Paul Bartlett

BRM July 96 has an article by Ian Fleming on modelling these vans in 4mm using the Airfix/Hornby model as a base.

Cheers

David 

Sorry, I appreciate this post is 9 years old - & the reference material I'm about to quote has been released in the mean time... but if I understand it correctly:

In David Larkin's Acquired wagons of British Railways volume 1 - both the D1919 (page 72) & D2036 (page 75) have shallow ballast boxes, & the notes for D2036 say the buckets were wider than on the D1919. D2068 (page 77), with the deeper ballast box, says 'there were the wide duckets' - so I take this to mean that the Hornby body can do either the D2036 or D2068.

My Hornby & Bill Bedford combination is shortly to hit the workbench, hence working out my options.

3 minutes ago, Jub45565 said:

Sorry, I appreciate this post is 9 years old - & the reference material I'm about to quote has been released in the mean time... but if I understand it correctly:

In David Larkin's Acquired wagons of British Railways volume 1 - both the D1919 (page 72) & D2036 (page 75) have shallow ballast boxes, & the notes for D2036 say the buckets were wider than on the D1919. D2068 (page 77), with the deeper ballast box, says 'there were the wide duckets' - so I take this to mean that the Hornby body can do either the D2036 or D2068.

My Hornby & Bill Bedford combination is shortly to hit the workbench, hence working out my options.

Worth bearing in mind Hornby have made a new LMS brake van since this thread was started which catered for the differences such as the ballast boxes and duckets.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-exlms-20-t-brake-van-b950040-era-7-r60019

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/20t-brake-van-lms-era-2-r60121

This was about the ancient Airfix version.

Jason

7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Worth bearing in mind Hornby have made a new LMS brake van since this thread was started

Ah, thanks Jason - mine is an R6909A. I hadn't realised they were quite so new!

2 minutes ago, Jub45565 said:

Ah, thanks Jason - mine is an R6909A. I hadn't realised they were quite so new!

Yes. That's a recent one.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/4914/hornby_oo_lms_20_ton_brake_van?instock=true&onorder=true&soldout=true

This was the older version.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/3874/airfix_gmr_great_model_railways_oo_lms_20_ton_brake_van?instock=true&onorder=true&soldout=true

Jason

• Like 1