OO gauge Airfix City of Truro with Branchlines Chassis etc

Hi Folks

As the title says I am new at this so please be kind to me, although constructive criticism is welcomed.

I bought this at the Folkestone show a few years ago as a complete kit at a very reasonable price and thought I would practice on it before building a proper loco kit.

DSCF7155_zps0af9f621.jpg

DSCF7154_zps215ece09.jpg

Chassis kit looks very impressive and goes together well and very easy to assemble square. Gearbox went together well too, ran motor and gearbox for 10 mins either way and then built up and tested as an 0-4-0.  Well chuffed when it ran straight from the off.  I have reamed out each bearing and it runs freely. 

DSCF7160_zps1f3efaab.jpg

DSCF7161_zps5a330a65.jpg

DSCF7162_zps01471a4c.jpg

DSCF7164_zpsdc438c92.jpg

Not sure if I have the front bogie bracket nut/bolt the right way up so when I get upstairs in the loft again I will re check.  Wheel spokes have now been cleaned up and the chassis stripped for painting.  I hand paint my models and use Humbrol enamels mainly.

DSCF7166_zps53bc77d4.jpg

DSCF7165_zpsd9271e19.jpg

I am afraid I do not get modelling time usually Friday and Saturday evenings only. I have since added the rods to hang the brakes on but, I am not sure whether to add the brake hangers/shoes prior to painting or paint and assemble chassis then add, will see how it pans out. 

Thanks for looking

All the best

Chris

• Like 12

Cheers Fella, I have finally plucked up the courage to do a loco.  I am really a Southern Fan although I must confess to some GWR Stock .  I have a LBSC D3 to build and wanted to practice on something before I touched that.

Thanks

All the best
Chris

• Like 2

Hi all some further work

Brake hanger rods added to main chassis

DSCF7179_zps5ecbeaba.jpg

Bogie constructed

DSCF7180_zpsa7c8e131.jpg

DSCF7181_zps9e76914d.jpg

DSCF7183_zps8019f8d7.jpg

DSCF7184_zpsd13ba7e6.jpg

Tender chassis also started

DSCF7186_zps5cd4b7e7.jpg

DSCF7187_zps158b6e2e.jpg

DSCF7202_zpsf8187836.jpg

I have soldered the front brackets on the brake rods, the carpet monster ate the bracket for the water scoop though so will have to make a plastic one up.  I have filed flush the centre wheel bearing tube with the tender chassis and mounted it ever so slightly higher to allow for the tighter radius curves.

I placed the main driving wheels on the chassis in the top holes as per the additional slip states in the instructions and I have had to this out the splashers to get the wheels to turn with the running plate sitting on top of the chassis, I will add a sliver of plasticard also to ensure smooth running.

DSCF7200_zps1885181c.jpg

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

• Like 14

Hi Folks

Bit more progress today bent the bogie arm and finished tender chassis off a bit more

DSCF7212_zps3f2a0ca8.jpg

DSCF7214_zpsdb97e6fb.jpg

DSCF7215_zps109d9584.jpg

I have got to do a final clean up and fill the letters on the brake hangers and then will be painting it all and starting on the body.  I am not sure which engine to do yet as I have a tender top to use instead of the Airfix one which will allow a later version so may do another City loco instead of Truro as I wanted to do the plain unlined green. 

I must admit I am well chuffed with this so far, I know I have probably done some bits incorrectly, but it is my first attempt.  I am also very pleased with the fit of the Branchlines chassis kit and I am surprised at how quick it all went together, I am used to model aircraft and they take an age to build u (well for me anyway).

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I placed the main driving wheels on the chassis in the top holes as per the additional slip states in the instructions and I have had to this out the splashers to get the wheels to turn with the running plate sitting on top of the chassis, I will add a sliver of plasticard also to ensure smooth running.

Very nice work. When I built one of these about 8 years ago I convinced myself that there was something confusing in the instructions with regard to which hole to use for which type of wheel, so I take it from the above there is now a correction slip added with the kit?

Like you I was surprised at how well and quickly it all fitted together, compared to my first few loco chassis which had been a bit of a struggle.

• RMweb Premium

I am tempted to do one of these, does it work out much cheaper than the Bachmann one.

And will it shift a long rake of Mark 1s

• RMweb Gold

I am tempted to do one of these, does it work out much cheaper than the Bachmann one.

And will it shift a long rake of Mark 1s

Depends on what you can get a Bachmann one for, but you won't see much change from a hundred pounds by the time you've added decals, nameplates

and so on to the basic cost of the Branchlines kit - in fact, it'll probably cost you more than a hundred.

I haven't stuffed as much weight into mine as I could, but it struggles with more than three coaches. There's probably scope for getting a bit more haulage

out of it, but you'll always be fighting the basic lightness of the plastic body.

Chassis looks excellent. Looking forward to seeing how you get the best out of the Airfix kit!

WRT the Bachmann model - I think they did incredibly well to get such good haulage from a small 4-4-0 without resorting to traction tyres, as Hornby did with the T9. Mine can handle 4 Mk1s on my not-quite flat layout. Not exactly a long rake, but not too bad either.

Thanks everyone

I was lucky in that I got mine from an exhibition for the reasonable sum of £40. It did have the coupling rod nuts missing and did not have the body detailing kit, I have ordered these from Branchlines over the weekend. Branchlines gave very nice service as well I must say. I will be packing some weight into the firebox end.

All the best
Chris

• Like 2

Hi Folks

Been able to do a bit more, I have painted the chassis and wheels now, small amount of weathering to the chassis.

DSCF7291_zps2b659111.jpg

DSCF7292_zps3d00ee61.jpg

DSCF7293_zps578843f7.jpg

DSCF7295_zpsef449834.jpg

DSCF7296_zpsc7520ea4.jpg

DSCF7297_zps5355cdeb.jpg

DSCF7299_zps7bb29ec3.jpg

DSCF7300_zpsf68275a4.jpg

DSCF7301_zpsf18c9f29.jpg

DSCF7303_zps45d4abbf.jpg

Had to thin down the frames to the bogie a bit

DSCF7304_zps92b35aeb.jpg

Will be adding the brake gear to the main chassis next then finish the painting and weathering.

Hope you like and thanks for looking.

All the best
Chris

• Like 15

Models of 4-4-0 locos have a horrible tendency to not pull very much - too much of the weight is in the 'wrong' place, and of course with a plastic body there's not that much weight to begin with. No wonder some commercial efforts have used dodges like traction types and even Triang's 'magnedesion'!

One rather more practical solution is to allow part of the weight of the tender to rest on the drawbar; carefully done this can do wonders for the haulage capacity!

Very nice work. When I built one of these about 8 years ago I convinced myself that there was something confusing in the instructions with regard to which hole to use for which type of wheel, so I take it from the above there is now a correction slip added with the kit?....

Cheers Barry, yes there is a correction slip in with the kit. ....

In the sample that I have, the instructions say the upper holes should be used if you are representing a Bird/Bulldog/Atbara, with scale 5'8" drivers. The lower holes should be used for the 6'8" Cities and Flowers. There was no correction slip in the kit, so possibly I have an early one.

• RMweb Gold

In the sample that I have, the instructions say the upper holes should be used if you are representing a Bird/Bulldog/Atbara, with scale 5'8" drivers. The lower holes should be used for the 6'8" Cities and Flowers. There was no correction slip in the kit, so possibly I have an early one.

That's the bit that's wrong - the smaller drivers should be in the lower holes, not the larger holes. I think you'd end up in serious difficulty if you didn't spot the error, but it's sort of self-evident if you have the etchings and wheels in front of you.

The OP's work is coming along nicely!

Hi Folks

Thanks for your kind comments.  I have done a bit more today chassis nearly finished now, just got to get pickups added and then test and then hopefully paint.  Very pleased so far, got to clean up brake gear also.

DSCF7305_zps9618f9b7.jpg

DSCF7306_zpsd3671208.jpg

DSCF7307_zps8d1dc0ee.jpg

DSCF7308_zps2cdbe2e2.jpg

Thanks for looking

All the best

Chris

• Like 8

That's the bit that's wrong - the smaller drivers should be in the lower holes, not the larger holes. I think you'd end up in serious difficulty if you didn't spot the error, but it's sort of self-evident if you have the etchings and wheels in front of you.

In my context I don't think it would matter that much, since the plan was always to team it with the old Crownline "County-to-City" conversion kit etches, and rely less on the Airfix mouldings.

I did one in P4 a few years ago as a Flower Class, mainly so I could finish it in unlined green. One error in the cab that is easily corrected and improves the appearance is the back of the cab side which extends well past the rear of the roof - evident in the photos below. An error I made was to not line up the cabside horizontal hand rail with the boiler hand rail.....oh well. If I recall correctly a new etched cabside comes with the body detailing kit and is pre-drilled for the hand rail.

post-7723-0-31246800-1402405230.jpg

post-7723-0-75829400-1402405285.jpg

post-7723-0-23190700-1402405311.jpg

• Like 13

Wow thanks Jeff, That is the sort of thing I am going for was going to go for another City that lasted later, however not sure yet as initially this was just a test to see if I could build a loco but now want to finish off to as good a standard as possible, thanks for showing the piccies the loco looks great.

All the best

Chris

• RMweb Gold

And here's mine, while we're at it:

blogentry-6720-12598781255073.jpg

The cab side sheets don't go back far enough compared to Jeff's model, and I wish I'd blackened the cranks before

fixing on the coupling rods.

• Like 9