Rails of Sheffield

Super D

Ordered a loco from Rails of Sheffield yesterday at 11.00hrs and it arrived here in Cornwall today - superbly packed - at 14.00hrs. Wonderfull company to deal with and I have done so over many years.

...hmmm, I've heard tales from those offering models to 'Rails' that they are quoted very little compared with the price that comparative models are sold for by them. For that reason, if no other I ensure that I order from a range of suppliers.  Having said that I used them recently to supply 5 bogie bolsters to save having to find/pay for each one individually, which smacks of hypocrisy.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

But we need both Rails and Kernow,don't we?.Our interests are interlinked with theirs.A healthy retail market looks after the interests of both manufacturer and enthusiast.I speak as a happy and satisfied customer of both.I hope this "partnership" can continue.

I used to be a regular customer of Rails when Bachmann introduced their Blue Riband range and models were appearing on time.  Now there are supply problems I tend to use Hattons as they keep me better informed about the progress of my order.  I think Hattons has improved over the past 10 years but Rails is still satisfactory. For instance with the Hornby Pull-Push coaches Hattons kept on sending me emails about when they were expected whereas Rails just sent me an email when they arrived. I had pre-ordered them from both shops.

My local model shop can be good but at the moment it has not got any goods stock or any Bachmann coaches.

...hmmm, I've heard tales from those offering models to 'Rails' that they are quoted very little compared with the price that comparative models are sold for by them. For that reason, if no other I ensure that I order from a range of suppliers.  Having said that I used them recently to supply 5 bogie bolsters to save having to find/pay for each one individually, which smacks of hypocrisy.

Dave

You will find that traders will offer comparitively low prices compared to sale price.

Used items are a minefield. 

We offer a price, we then have to make a margin, which covers the normal business operating costs, the cost of cleaning, servicing and generally making saleable the models. the risk (And a safety margin) to cover models that turn out to be not as described/duffers/damaged/stolen, plus a bit of profit at the end (After HMRC have taken their 20% of the difference)

I - and I'm sure Rails as well, always advise that you can get more selling privately, and no-one has to accept the offer.

Fair prices are paid. In return we take away the hassle of making the items saleable and marketing them.

No trader is going to offer a price only to give themselves a 10p mark-up! and if you understood the labour and risks involved, I'm sure you'd agree.

I use  Hattons  & Rails  Very  frequently,,   When  placing  orders  with  the  former   the  buyer  has  the option  to  specify  a  carrier,, Yodel , Royal  mail  or  City  Link  , Royal  Mail  option  has  a  2KG  weight limit  and  they  are not selectable  for  LONG items   such  as  Flexible  track.

Whilst  Yodel  came  in for  some  criticism  some  months  ago  ( including  from  myself)  I would  state  that  their  act  has improved  dramatically  and  have  not  had  a  failed  or  late  delivery  from  them,  ( I use the  Yodel  option  for  orders  I place on a Friday so that  I get  Saturday  delivery,  which  occured  today)

Rails  do not  seem to  offer  any choice of  carrier,  all my recent  orders have  been  via  Royal  Mail,  but the service  has  been  good  and 90% of  the  orders  I have placed  were  recvd, Next  day.

I prefer using Rails for larger orders as they still use Royal Mail, rather than Yodel (like you know who).

Agree completely, and with Shortliner's post,  bought quite a lot of new and especially second hand stock from Rails over the years. Thought I got some bargains  as well  from their s/h stuff, when they sold a lot through their e-bay shop.  Never had a problem with buying from them, best of the box shifters imho - and yes they do listen to how customers want their goods sent - by Royal Mail in my case.

• 1 month later...

During recent email discussions with the sales staff I was advised that the company's price promise for pre-ordered items is likely to be revised.

This has now taken place and I would advise anyone who has pre-ordered models from Rails to read the latest information.  The only way I have found to do this is to display the appropriate item and place the mouse pointer over "Price Promise?" and the information will then appear.

• 3 months later...

Second-hand sales in-store are presently suspended.

Popped into RoS yesterday afternoon, hoping to browse the usual cornucopia of S/H stock in the Emporium next door.

However, I suspected something was amiss, with the annex holding the second-hand stuff looking decidedly shuttered.

On asking, I was advised that due to water ingress in that part of the building (read, I suspect - a ruddy great roof leak), the Emporium is closed until further notice.  

Prospective S/H customers note: you won't be able to browse, instead sales will continue to be made via their on line eBay shop.  Sporadically, I suggest.

You will find that traders will offer comparitively low prices compared to sale price.

Used items are a minefield. 

We offer a price, we then have to make a margin, which covers the normal business operating costs, the cost of cleaning, servicing and generally making saleable the models. the risk (And a safety margin) to cover models that turn out to be not as described/duffers/damaged/stolen, plus a bit of profit at the end (After HMRC have taken their 20% of the difference)

I - and I'm sure Rails as well, always advise that you can get more selling privately, and no-one has to accept the offer.

Fair prices are paid. In return we take away the hassle of making the items saleable and marketing them.

No trader is going to offer a price only to give themselves a 10p mark-up! and if you understood the labour and risks involved, I'm sure you'd agree.

Of course we are all aware of the basics to this business model only I think some choose to don ear defenders and blinkers when it comes down to acknowledging the facts.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to report on a top service from Rails of Sheffield, order placed Wed pm, package arrived Friday lunchtime, Royal Mail registered mail, for £4.50 P&P which I think is good value.

Also, 10 out of 10 for the packaging of the goodies I ordered:

post-10919-0-38444200-1423833885_thumb.jpg

Plenty of protection there!

Well done Rails folks.

cheers,

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

RAILS just  sent  me  newsletter  announcing  that  the  ARNOLD/Hornby  Brighton  Belle  5  car  sets  will be  arriving  in  stock very  soon!  Both  liveries  @ £199.99

Interesting  or  what?  I though  that  Hornby offered  these  as  exclusives only  from  their  own  website,  or  does  this  show  that  sales  have  not been  as  good  as  expected?

RAILS just  sent  me  newsletter  announcing  that  the  ARNOLD/Hornby  Brighton  Belle  5  car  sets  will be  arriving  in  stock very  soon!  Both  liveries  @ £199.99

Interesting  or  what?  I though  that  Hornby offered  these  as  exclusives only  from  their  own  website,  or  does  this  show  that  sales  have  not been  as  good  as  expected?

They were offered as exclusives originally but there now seem to be efforts to share the remaining stocks out to some retailers. Some assume this means that sales have been lower than expected but this appears to be a by-product of batch production coupled with Hornby's new warehousing, which means that they appear to aim to shift stock within a limited timeframe rather than have it in stock for years.

The fact that Hornby have announced plans for further N/Arnold models certainly suggests that they are happy enough with how the N scale Belle has sold.

They were offered as exclusives originally but there now seem to be efforts to share the remaining stocks out to some retailers. Some assume this means that sales have been lower than expected but this appears to be a by-product of batch production coupled with Hornby's new warehousing, which means that they appear to aim to shift stock within a limited timeframe rather than have it in stock for years.

The fact that Hornby have announced plans for further N/Arnold models certainly suggests that they are happy enough with how the N scale Belle has sold.

All very  well  but it  makes  those  retailers  who  took pre orders  when  the  N Bel  was  first  announced and  then  lost  those orders (and  profit) when Hornby  changed  the rules, feel  a  bit  sceptical  and  unlikely  to  take in Hornby's unsold  stock

I think you have all too much money to spend. I use, or rather my business uses the post office for all our spare parts deliveries and in twelve years they have never lost anything, late yes lost no.

Never bought from rails although the I have been in their shop- emporium

Bri

• RMweb Gold

I think you have all too much money to spend. I use, or rather my business uses the post office for all our spare parts deliveries and in twelve years they have never lost anything, late yes lost no.

Never bought from rails although the I have been in their shop- emporium

Bri

Considering the howls of protest arising elsewhere on the forum re: price increases,your first sentence is a somewhat curious statement.Why would you say that ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am not at all happy. I have bought items from Rails both on the internet and from the shop on my visits to Sheffield. Two weeks ago I phoned them to check opening times and said that I was planning a visit from London in the next couple of weeks for a good look around their store. The gentleman said he looked forward to my visit. Arrived today to be told that the secondhand section was closed, so I had a totally wasted visit! The gent in the shop said that they had not advertised the secondhand for some months but having called them it would have been nice if they had told me. I will not bother phoning them again after this. Now where is my map of Liverpool?

• RMweb Gold

I am not at all happy. I have bought items from Rails both on the internet and from the shop on my visits to Sheffield. Two weeks ago I phoned them to check opening times and said that I was planning a visit from London in the next couple of weeks for a good look around their store. The gentleman said he looked forward to my visit. Arrived today to be told that the secondhand section was closed, so I had a totally wasted visit! The gent in the shop said that they had not advertised the secondhand for some months but having called them it would have been nice if they had told me. I will not bother phoning them again after this. Now where is my map of Liverpool?

Did you ask them about their secondhand section when you telephoned ? You might have saved yourself some grief of you had actually done so.

• RMweb Premium

Did you ask them about their secondhand section when you telephoned ? You might have saved yourself some grief of you had actually done so.

I agree that with hind sight I should have asked about the secondhand section but not knowing they had had a problem and having said that I was looking forward to a rummage through their stock I would have thought they could have mentioned that part of the shop was closed. The guy in the shop today told me that they had not advertised the second hand but maybe a note in their adverts saying that the secondhand was closed would have been more use. Anyway I have learnt my lesson.

Second-hand sales in-store are presently suspended.

Popped into RoS yesterday afternoon, hoping to browse the usual cornucopia of S/H stock in the Emporium next door.

However, I suspected something was amiss, with the annex holding the second-hand stuff looking decidedly shuttered.

On asking, I was advised that due to water ingress in that part of the building (read, I suspect - a ruddy great roof leak), the Emporium is closed until further notice.  

Prospective S/H customers note: you won't be able to browse, instead sales will continue to be made via their on line eBay shop.  Sporadically, I suggest.

Archived