The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Paid the balance late last Sunday. Arrived on Wednesday. No complaints about service from me as I wasn't expecting it that quickly. :sungum:

Wow - that one is a bit hard to take. I know I expected that international orders might be shipped later but I paid 14 months ago and was hoping to get mine before people who only paid this week :resent:

• RMweb Gold

Wow - that one is a bit hard to take. I know I expected that international orders might be shipped later but I paid 14 months ago and was hoping to get mine before people who only paid this week :resent:

Here we go again.

Seems to be a nice product. However I just find the APT-E ugly, so I didn't buy one. Been watching all the reviews on Youtube closely. So far the only issue I've seen with the Rapido APT-E is that the nose doesn't properly and seems to spoil the entire look for me.

However I wish Rapido did some more modern image stock - Class 86, Class 87, Class 90, Class 91, Class 92, Class 110, Class 142, Class 180 etc...

Hope you APT-E owners have loads of fun with that superb model... Happy being kids again  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

:rolleyes: First world problems...

I think quite a few people on here have missed out on this model through no choice of their own, so reading that someone is 'miffed' that their's is later in the post than others is a bit off.

Edited by Ian J.

I was very impressed with the running of this model today and although my layout is pure dc a few of the functions worked.

APT-E3s.jpg

As shown on Robin's layout topic - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent/?p=2269414 we gave a sound APT an extensive run on DC. Obviously you don't get all of the function sounds but you do get the sound of the turbines when power is applied and when you get up to around 60% power the extra turbines spool up before the train will move away. It will take a DC user a bit of time to get used to the delay before movement but I'm sure anyone who owns a sound version but hasn't got a DCC layout to hand won't be disappointed.

As Bill's a Great Western man maybe he can forgive the following incident reported on the layout topic? Whilst the APT was in Swindon country in August 1975 it seems that something akin to extracting Lion from the museum in The Titfield Thunderbolt took place with museum volunteers shoving City of Truro onto the front of the towing bar, chucking a couple of mail bags in TC2 and making a break for the South Devon banks to try and put the contested steam speed record beyond doubt.

C-o-T_APT-E_s.jpg

• Like 10

Seems to be a nice product. However I just find the APT-E ugly, so I didn't buy one. Been watching all the reviews on Youtube closely. So far the only issue I've seen with the Rapido APT-E is that the nose doesn't properly and seems to spoil the entire look for me.

However I wish Rapido did some more modern image stock - Class 86, Class 87, Class 90, Class 91, Class 92, Class 110, Class 142, Class 180 etc...

Hope you APT-E owners have loads of fun with that superb model... Happy being kids again  :jester:

Ugly? I think it looks beautiful. Each to his own, I suppose. I’d be all for Rapido doing some electrics although I’d incline more towards earlier AC electrics. On the other hand, a 92 would be excellent as would a 91 but the latter would require a complete train. Well, Rapido has produced a complete train for us and another (HST prototype) is promised, so why not?

To answer my own question, perhaps not a 91 because an 800 or 801 will be done instead.

Then Rapido has also treated us to a gas turbine. Sadly, I suspect 18000, 18100 and GT3 are unlikely. :cry:

attachicon.gifAPT-E3s.jpg

As shown on Robin's layout topic - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent/?p=2269414 we gave a sound APT an extensive run on DC. Obviously you don't get all of the function sounds but you do get the sound of the turbines when power is applied and when you get up to around 60% power the extra turbines spool up before the train will move away. It will take a DC user a bit of time to get used to the delay before movement but I'm sure anyone who owns a sound version but hasn't got a DCC layout to hand won't be disappointed.

As Bill's a Great Western man maybe he can forgive the following incident reported on the layout topic? Whilst the APT was in Swindon country in August 1975 it seems that something akin to extracting Lion from the museum in The Titfield Thunderbolt took place with museum volunteers shoving City of Truro onto the front of the towing bar, chucking a couple of mail bags in TC2 and making a break for the South Devon banks to try and put the contested steam speed record beyond doubt.

City of Truro looks big and brutal enough in that shot to do the job!

I forgot that Bill was a GWR man. My hopes for another gas turbine job have just been notched up!

Bill?

• Like 1

attachicon.gifC-o-T_APT-E_s.jpg

Makes you realise just how small E-Train actually is, doesn't it?

When the Deltic prototype was alongside E-Train at Shildon it TOWERED over us!  :O

• Like 1

Ugly? I think it looks beautiful.

I was my personal opinion...  :declare:

Makes the APT-E look like an HO scale model there!

• RMweb Premium

Hope you APT-E owners have loads of fun with that superb model... Happy being kids again :jester:

Have to agree with you there. That letterbox windscreen does nothing for it. I didn't see it or hear it for real , so perhaps had I done so it would have been different. I was not so much into HSTs until I heard the pax mans rev up for the first time at Berwick.

Interested that some sound functions work on DC , to me this is something that seems to get brushed under the carpet by manufacturers in the hope we will all dash headlong for DCC .

I really hope that Rapido do more stuff and at the same price point. An APT- P would have the wow factor that this APT -E has generated , and of course be a lovely running partner. I do look for value for money and there is little doubt you've got it here. The overall package is very impressive. Well done Rapido

Edited by Legend

..... so reading that someone is 'miffed' that their's is later in the post than others is a bit off.

Ian,

I am trying to self manage my expectations as we are only 3 weeks into a shipping process that may take more than 5 to complete at source and longer for receipt at destination. There is so much to get excited about looking at all the pictures, comments and videos here (I try to avoid the videos, as I want to watch and listen to my own soon :sungum:). I am not "miffed", just disappointed mine isn't here yet. Like most Brits, I wait patiently in line but it is so hard when somebody who joined the queue behind you walks away a satisfied customer before you. I am still waiting in line but I do hope it is not like the one for the cheese shop - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWDdd5KKhts

Matthew

Makes you realise just how small E-Train actually is, doesn't it?

When the Deltic prototype was alongside E-Train at Shildon it TOWERED over us! :O

Just back from a trip to Shildon. It still is alongside and it still does tower. However the viewing step for the Deltic cab makes a good photo point for E-train. Edited by Shovelto

Well...  the dirty secret is out, and I promised Kit that I would never spill the beans, but...... That was actually a photo of how the record run was accomplished.   :secret: 

Bill

• Like 1

Have to agree with you there. That letterbox windscreen does nothing for it. I didn't see it or hear it for real , so perhaps had I done so it would have been different. I was not so much into HSTs until I heard the pax mans rev up for the first time at Berwick.

Interested that some sound functions work on DC , to me this is something that seems to get brushed under the carpet by manufacturers in the hope we will all dash headlong for DCC .

I really hope that Rapido do more stuff and at the same price point. An APT- P would have the wow factor that this APT -E has generated , and of course be a lovely running partner. I do look for value for money and there is little doubt you've got it here. The overall package is very impressive. Well done Rapido

Put me down for an APT-P!

• Like 1

I am intrigued as to what you mean by 'brushed under the carpet'. What exactly? From what I have read, the sound functions quite well on DC so do you want more or less? If more, then how? DC just can't achieve the same control as DCC because you can't send signals to turn things on & off at will.

As for the APT-P, the market for it is more complicated? E-train's advantage was that the prototype train was only 4 coaches long, so although some have bought more trailing cars, the basic set was the same.

The P train is different. A small layout will be served by a 5 coach like Hornby's old one quite nicely. Others may want to model it as a 6-carriage train as preserved. Others may want a proposed APT-S http://www.apt-p.com/APTConfigurations.htm with combined power/driving cars. Others may want the full 12+2 which ran in service on the WCML . I believe Kit mentioned it ran as an 8+2 which is not even mentioned on that site. 8+2 would fit perfectly on my layout but would I prefer instead to drown it with a full 12+2?  :yes:  I don't even know the answer to that. Maybe it would come down to cost?

I would very much like a more modern P train too but it is a more complicated offering. The options would make this a more expensive product but would it drive costs up too far for many of us?

These are all questions which need to be answered by anyone considering it.

I am sure there are models which all of us would like to see introduced but it needs to be worthwhile for the manufacturer.

Like many, I am amazed that the E train proved to be more than a wish on somebody's list.

Edited by Pete the Elaner

The problem is that there are normally around 10 sound functions. Things like slamming doors, buffering up, coupling up, wheel squeal have to be operated at specific moments that only the mark 1 eyeball or some DCC detector/programmed event will know about. You cannot have these running under DC.

In any case Hornbys TTS sound does not make any sound under normal DC mode.

Also the control box for DCC is cheap compared to fitting several locos with DCC sound ships.

. I believe Kit mentioned it ran as an 8+2 which is not even mentioned on that site. 8+2 would fit perfectly on my layout but would I prefer instead to drown it with a full 12+2?  :yes:  I 

The 8+2 consist, really a 2+2+6, was used for the first day's running in Dec '81, with the front two trailer cars empty of passengers, but with some of the engineering team aboard. It certainly accelerated like a ding bat that day, most impressive. 

The 8+2 consist, really a 2+2+6, was used for the first day's running in Dec '81, with the front two trailer cars empty of passengers, but with some of the engineering team aboard. It certainly accelerated like a ding bat that day, most impressive. 

That formation was also used for the runs in 1984. I had 48106, 48602, 49003, 49001, 48607, 48503, 48303, 48406, 48201, 48107 south from Preston on 29 August 1984 and the same set north to Preston on 31 August 1984.

• RMweb Premium

The problem is that there are normally around 10 sound functions. Things like slamming doors, buffering up, coupling up, wheel squeal have to be operated at specific moments that only the mark 1 eyeball or some DCC detector/programmed event will know about. You cannot have these running under DC.

In any case Hornbys TTS sound does not make any sound under normal DC mode.

Also the control box for DCC is cheap compared to fitting several locos with DCC sound ships.

Thanks. Yes I appreciated you couldn't have all sounds, but hadn't realised that you would still get the turbines spooling up as the train moves off. It does seem there is limited but useful functionality on DC

Pete, by brushed under the carpet, I meant manufacturers are not free with information as to what will or will not work because they want you to go down a DCC route rather than DC . It's interesting that Hornby TTS doesn't make any noise under DC but Rapidos sound chip does , an ESU, I believe. So would there be anything to stop a steam loco fitted with an ESU decoder running on DC with realistic steam sounds as accelerates? I don't know.

Yes appreciate APT-P is a more difficult proposition, but then they have already developed the way of making it tilt. A Hornby 5 car replacement would be welcome, with additional centre cars allowing people to build any length they want. As the APT-E proves , never say never

• RMweb Premium

Connected my set together today for the first time, everything working well.

Two questions 1. Are the carriage lights meant to stay on permanently as there appears to be no f no. to switch them off ( I have the DCC sound version.) And 2. I noticed that the roofs of TC 1 and 2 were rather warm on shutting down after about 25 minutes because the lights were on permanently. This is not a problem but I would be very disappointed if the roofs melted at some stage.