The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Erm,how about leaving the ones already assembled flat and then tilting the LAST one to the required 10 deg???

Problem I found was that the big tongue section (the pancake) and the peg on the electrical plug are on PC2, the power car, (adjacent TC2 is the one with no bogies) and if you tip the car with the tongue and peg they automatically move out of alignment. I didn't want to risk pushing together misaligned plugs but nevertheless it was this connection which initially didn't make contact so PC2 was dead until I pushed the connection together really firmly. Biggest problem, I think, is that the instructions scare you so that you don't push hard enough to actually make the coupling click.

Post #166 has a U tube video with the crew and passengers / technicians in it! Drivers seem to be in standard dark blue with peaked caps, engineers seem to be "smart casual" however the beards and flares my be challenging... :)

For the benefit of those who can't work out how to go straight to a specific post ID, this is the video in question:

• Like 1

Ran mine yesterday for the first time on a friends layout. Joined all four coaches together no problem, everything working as it should, sound great. Exceptional model.

As I'm currently planning my own layout, can anyoune advise the smallest radius curves it can negotiate without the nose going outside the loading gauge and catching on platforms, other trains etc?

A challenge for Rapido, make a version with a nose which swivels on curves so it stays in the loading gauge!

It will negotiate radius 2 curves and upwards

However due to the overhang of the nose it will be outside the loading gauge on all the standard gauged track i:e both Hornby and Peco standard curve ranges from 2 nd radius up to 4 th radius at standard track centres of iirc 50 mm for Peco and 67 mm for Hornby

I`d suggest having at least a double straight before entering any station area as that will at least allow the train to straighten up and come back into gauge for the platforms

Edited by tgvfan

Post #166 has a U tube video with the crew and passengers / technicians in it! Drivers seem to be in standard dark blue with peaked caps, engineers seem to be "smart casual" however the beards and flares my be challenging... :)

Starring Roy Hartle in the beard and glasses and Malc Wilson with the trendy moustache.  :D

Roy was Head of Instrumentation and Malc was the Senior Instrumentation Engineer on the project. Malc worked on just about every test vehicle we had and STILL works on the train today! Much of the current state of TC2's instrumentation racks is due to his and Barrie May's work.

I'm not sure that the smart casual' look lasted much past the first run, which that vid features, though, I seemed to spend a lot of my time in overalls and oil proof gloves!

Brilliant video! In the APT-E section, showing the driving cab, was that the ignition key on the control panel? Another tiny part of the Leyland legacy...

I think that's the direction key, but I'd need to be in PC2's cab to refresh my memory to be sure. There were 3-4 keylock switches in the cab for various things. 

• RMweb Premium

I don't have a layout since a house move a year ago (and need to build a home for it yet!) so took my APTE to Dad's for a run tonight. Before we even started the test run he had the chisel out and was hacking bits of scenery off just to run it!

Awesome model.

In case anyone with a DC model is interested, DC Kits are now advertising the Legomanbiffo sound chips for sale:

http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/dcc_digital_loco_sounds/legomanbiffo_diesel_electric_digital_loco_sounds/prototype_apte_advanced_passenger_train_legomanbiffo_.php

Not for me. I have a sound one already (smug smile....)

Cheers

Rob

Good,

Now all I need to do is work out where to put the speaker in the forthcoming Bachmann's Wickham Trolley...  :jester:

Luke

It will negotiate radius 2 curves and upwards

However due to the overhang of the nose it will be outside the loading gauge on all the standard gauged track i:e both Hornby and Peco standard curve ranges from 2 nd radius up to 4 th radius at standard track centres of iirc 50 mm for Peco and 67 mm for Hornby

I`d suggest having at least a double straight before entering any station area as that will at least allow the train to straighten up and come back into gauge for the platforms

There is video on Youtube and the owner has it running on 1st radius curves ! 

Is there a way to get the horn sounding like the clip from e for experiment where it goes high low high low

I was hoping that this horn sound  from e for experimental would have been on the sound chip maybe to do with copyright ? . I don't know if legomanbiffo could do it 

Edit was it e for experimental or rail 150 ? . is e for experimental on youtube ?

Edited by Monkey28
  • Like 1

That multi-hi-lo-hi-lo-hi horn sound going through Widmerpool Station at the start of the Rail 150 vid (also in 'E for Experimental' IIRC) was anything but normal, and was probably done just for the film.

On the other hand the 3-note hi-lo-hi was quite common and should be able to be done with a DCC model. Both horn notes are available separately in the F List and a 2-tone is as well, so a bit of deft finger punching should manage it. I'll have a go with my model on Tuesday on my club's test track.

I was hoping that this horn sound from e for experimental would have been on the sound chip maybe to do with copyright ? . I don't know if legomanbiffo could do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_7J4HTAnIM

Edit was it e for experimental or rail 150 ? . is e for experimental on youtube ?

Nice video, I had to watch it 3 times. I did not realise that they made films like this as late as 1975. Edited by JSpencer

Good,

Now all I need to do is work out where to put the speaker in the forthcoming Bachmann's Wickham Trolley...  :jester:

Luke

Yes just did dcc to dcc sound upgrade myself the pcb are marked where the speakers solder to,no problems sounds and runs like a dream

I was hoping that this horn sound  from e for experimental would have been on the sound chip maybe to do with copyright ? . I don't know if legomanbiffo could do it 

Edit was it e for experimental or rail 150 ? . is e for experimental on youtube ?

Yes they used the real air horns for the sound sample they used a air compreser

A huge thanks to Locomotion and Rapidio for the APT-E. Mine arrived in Calgary Wednesday night, just in time for Supertrain this weekend. Assembly was easy, took me about 5 minutes. Sound is fantastic, even running on DC and I'm fascinated by the tilt. It's popular with the crowd too. Many requests as to when it's coming around again (answer: quickly).

Malcolm T

Calgary, Alberta

• Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_7J4HTAnIM

I was there that day age 6 and was in awe of the HST-P
  • Like 1

Is anybody else still awaiting their APT that hasn't paid the balance yet?

I contacted Locomotion last week but still havn't recieved a reply. Begining to get worried.

I am still awaiting mine and I did pay the balance in November last year. I am getting decidedly worried. I have tried contacting Locomotion but no reply.

Is it safe to test the sound with a dc only controller, and which power car is the sound located in?

Locomotion released a video of a pre-production model running on DC with sound so I think you'll be safe.

Sounds comes from both power cars but is controlled by just the 1 chip, hence the multi-pin connectors.

That multi-hi-lo-hi-lo-hi horn sound going through Widmerpool Station at the start of the Rail 150 vid (also in 'E for Experimental' IIRC) was anything but normal, and was probably done just for the film.

On the other hand the 3-note hi-lo-hi was quite common and should be able to be done with a DCC model. Both horn notes are available separately in the F List and a 2-tone is as well, so a bit of deft finger punching should manage it. I'll have a go with my model on Tuesday on my club's test track.

Ah well, so much for that plan.  :nono:

I can't get there on Tuesday so it'll have to wait till next Monday. 

I am still awaiting mine and I did pay the balance in November last year. I am getting decidedly worried. I have tried contacting Locomotion but no reply.

If you read back a few posts you will find a reply from Sandra regarding shipping of the APT`s

They have had 2000 sets to ship out and there is a limit on how many they can ship per day that is set by the courier themselves

If you have paid then it will eventually arrive

Mine hasn`t arrived yet either but i`m not going to start panicking or worrying till the end of April at the earliest

• RMweb Premium