Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Hmmm.  I've just bitten the bullet and invested in a copy of 'Stroudly and His Terriers' via Amazon.....

It's amazing what you can see on loco's when you look.  Here is the detail behind the buffer and the front sandbox filler.  The extra bits behind the buffer can be fabbed up from plasticard and glued on.

post-2484-0-82135800-1446072273_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmm.  I've just bitten the bullet and invested in a copy of 'Stroudly and His Terriers' via Amazon.....

It's amazing what you can see on loco's when you look.  Here is the detail behind the buffer and the front sandbox filler.  The extra bits behind the buffer can be fabbed up from plasticard and glued on.

attachicon.gifBluebell IMG_20151025_100035.jpg

Hi Ernie,

I dont think that you will regret purchasing the book, its the benchmark for info - however we all seem to need even more info so as to fettle our models yet further.

Nice photo any photos of the tank filler detail (ie the bits missing from the Dapol model)?

Kindest,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Try Handel Kardas' Portrait of the Terriers for under a fiver! Recommended.

Dava

I can afford that one!

The trouble is that there are only two I'm interested in, so I don't want to start collecting masses of information on the rest, as it might give me expensive ideas!

I see that Tower Models are advising a further delay to the next batch of Terriers albeit only a few days.

Hi,

I am not surprised...I was told mid November, two weeks ago (IIRC)?

Im still reading through the Thread - and, looking at photos of the current Dapol releases, it looks to me as though the protoype's had 'fish-bellied' coupling rods (albeit quite dainty, when the model hasnt? Has anyone else noticed this??

This also got me wondering, if, with the wealth of information on this Thread, Dapol has - ever - read this Thread? If they have or did, makes one wonder if the basics of the Terrier would have been as good, as they are now, without so much input here on RMW/this Thread?? If all of the prototype Terriers did have FB coupling rods, some enterprising soul could make up some milled rods (if it is possible to include the FB shape) - but why are they not included on the model (or is the effect so subtle that it doesnt show up in photos)?

Circling back to the chimney issue, it looks as though the fit of the chimney on the A1 smokebox is much better than the A1X version - shame that - but I await mine to see if the production version is better than those reviewed in the mags?!

ATVB

CME.

I've now seen enough evidence to show that the two K&ESR Terriers just had detail differences at the date I want to model, that mean it should be straightforward to convert Bodiam into Rolvendon. But with possibly just days to go before delivery, I still haven't seen a photo of the model, so don't know what Bodiam looks like, and exactly what I'll be getting. I've read that it's supposed to be in early condition, but have no idea whether it will need repainting or re-lettering, and how much work that might involve, or whether I've got the skills needed to do it.

Ideally, I'd wait for Bodiam to arrive, then decide whether to buy a second one. But even if I decide the day it arrives, will they have sold out by then? Grrrrrr. Life's too complicated and stressful already, without having to worry about things like this!

• RMweb Premium

Fair play to Dapol, they've had a troubled time in recent years but that is a terrific model and an incredible bargain given the prices you'd normally pay for a nice O gauge model. I'm sure there are things that can be criticised as less than entirely accurate but overall it really captures the look of the Terrier superbly well and is far better finished then the great majority of kits ever will be, well done Dapol.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 2

Fair play to Dapol, they've had a troubled time in recent years but that is a terrific model and an incredible bargain given the prices you'd normally pay for a nice O gauge model. I'm sure there are things that can be criticised as less than entirely accurate but overall it really captures the look of the Terrier superbly well and is far better finished then the great majority of kits ever will be, well done Dapol.

Hi Jib,

I think that we all have establised that the Dapol 'Terrier' is a fair representation of the prototype at a fair price - sometime back - the closest bench mark was the brass RTR version which was, of course, pricier.

BTW were your above comments a reply to my question about the Coupling Rods etc etc?

Can I ask you, how many of the Dapol 'Terriers' have you purchased ie do you have the A1 and A1X versions (what are your thoughts re the chimney, coupling rods etc when compared to photos from reviews in the mainstream magazines)?

Andy Yorks cracking photo (herewith below Post #780) of one review model (2644 - A1X) shows the gap between the chimney and the smokebox (although in BRM the main review photo shows such in warts and all greater detail and, sadly, it really looks like the chimney has been stuck on by a 5 year old building his/her first Airfix kit, which ruins, the almost perfectly rendered 'face' of the model);-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87122-Dapol-o-gauge-terrier/page-32

I am trying to ascertain if the chimney fit is better on certain models than on others - or when mine arrives will I have to source a new one from one of the cottage industry suppliers or repair the joint on the Dapol model (some ie the A1's look great in this regard and the A1x's seem to have an awful gap - so perhaps the the different smokebox mouldings make a difference or there a QC issue regardless of if A1 or A1X type)? Also as the review models are photographed from different angles and I cant tell if the coupling rods are protoypical or not (on the model), or as the photos are blown up to an extent, I was wondering if such is noticeable to the MK1 eyeball when viewed from normal viewing distances etc etc. It is true to say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder - yet certain details are important to certain modellers when perhaps some box-collectors/buyers are not fussed by fidelity/quality when the model ends up sitting in its box in perpetuity or a display cabinet. IMHO the old Vulcan models kit is one of the easiest (to build) and most accurate 'Terrier' models that was available (although other more complex kits are available as was a pricier brass RTR version), Gordon Gravett did a nice rendition of the Vulcan kit in MRJ some years back, the Vulcan kit came with lots of bits for various versions/options, yet buying and building kits have to be weighed against motivation, skill, time and effort available etc.

I have read two reviews thus far in the mainstream mags and by and large they seem fair and whilst picking up on the pluses and some issues, there is so much more meat to be added to the bone (of course the mags are limited to word counts).

I would add, this, that many in the industry (ie those who deal with the models for a living/livelyhood) are complaining about the lack of communications out of Dapol still. My comments re this Thread were merely musings as to whether or not the model would have been as good as it is, even with its imperfections, without RMW members' input. Eg it will be interesting to see if Dapol's version of 32661 will come without the WH Pump or not - if it is supplied without that will make life a lot easier, but no one in the industry knows as Dapol hasnt told them and therefore this information cant be passed onto the customer/potential customer...Hence some of my questions and comments above.

I think that the Dapol Terrier is a fair representation of the prototype and whilst not dimensionally perfect it captures the lines and character of the prototype well (which is arguably more important) and forms a nice basis for a good out-of-the-box RTR model to play trains with or a good starting point for some mild-moderate improvements (ie as the basics are there and the - current  - price is right).

Hope that clarifies my POV.

Any advice/photos on the coupling rods, chimneys etc would be gratefully received.

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Premium

My comments weren't aimed at anybody, just a general observation. I think any model is a compromise, and the nature of that compromise will be determined by price as much as anything. Especially for locomotives that had lots of variation between class members then an affordable RTR model is going to make some compromises in how many of those variations are replicated. Even high end fine scale brass models are compromises. One of my hobbies is Japanese and US (and a bit of Swiss) brass HO models of the factory finished variety from suppliers like Tenshodo, Musashino, Overland etc. Those models are about as good as it gets in terms of fidelity to prototype yet there are still compromises. I honestly think that at the price of this Terrier it is a very good effort and it does capture the look of a Terrier very well. I'm not saying it is beyond criticism but overall given the price I think it is an excellent effort. However, clearly we are all individuals and my opinion is exactly that, just my own opinion.

My comments weren't aimed at anybody, just a general observation. I think any model is a compromise, and the nature of that compromise will be determined by price as much as anything. Especially for locomotives that had lots of variation between class members then an affordable RTR model is going to make some compromises in how many of those variations are replicated. Even high end fine scale brass models are compromises. One of my hobbies is Japanese and US (and a bit of Swiss) brass HO models of the factory finished variety from suppliers like Tenshodo, Musashino, Overland etc. Those models are about as good as it gets in terms of fidelity to prototype yet there are still compromises. I honestly think that at the price of this Terrier it is a very good effort and it does capture the look of a Terrier very well. I'm not saying it is beyond criticism but overall given the price I think it is an excellent effort. However, clearly we are all individuals and my opinion is exactly that, just my own opinion.

Thanks Jib, :)

I have friends who collect in a similar vein to you, same types of models too, the thing is that, as you say, any kind of model is a compromise as not everything can be miniaturised to perfection and as the models there are working miniatures there are other considerations too.

With the Dapol 7mm 'Terrier' it may be a smidgen out here and there in terms of dimensions (mm), yet over all it looks right. :)

I was hoping that you may have had a couple of Terriers and could point out if the review models 'issues' were apparent or not (fingers crossed) on the production/shop models.

I am happy to tweak my 'Terrier' when it gets here, yet many mags make a lot over issues such as chimneys (getting them right) and if all the A1Xs are made like the one in the BRM review then that is a bit of a let down - time will tell though :derisive: .

But by and large I agree with you, its a nice looking model for the money - I wouldnt be buying one if it wasnt and as such its an off piste purchase for me in some ways, so that means I must like it enough to buy it. :D :yes: :imsohappy:

ATVB

CME :)

• Like 2

I e-mailed Dapol this morning, and got a reply in about an hour!

The latest batch are currently going through customs, and should be going out to stockists on Wednesday.

The blue on the decorated sample of Bodiam was too bright, and they sent a new colour swatch to the factory, but haven't seen the finished result. That's why there are no photos. Looks like I'll have to make a very quick last minute decision about buying a second one!

A point about Dapol communication. I emailed them on the 19th to let them know that one of my models had 2 left hand coupling rods so the one on the right has the joint in the wrong place and cannot be swopped as one rod will always end up wrong.

I received a reply from Kevin Grindley, Sales Admin Manager to say that the person he needed to speak to about this wasn't in until Wednesday but he would speak to him when he was in. I've subsequently requested a response on two occasions, the first was met with a further delaying email from Kevin, the second, last Thursday, has gone unanswered! 

If this is representative of Dapols 'communication' and willingness to correct their mistakes, I'm not impressed.

Colin

I e-mailed Dapol this morning, and got a reply in about an hour!

The latest batch are currently going through customs, and should be going out to stockists on Wednesday.

The blue on the decorated sample of Bodiam was too bright, and they sent a new colour swatch to the factory, but haven't seen the finished result. That's why there are no photos. Looks like I'll have to make a very quick last minute decision about buying a second one!

John, your experience, is the exception to the rule, according to many.

A point about Dapol communication. I emailed them on the 19th to let them know that one of my models had 2 left hand coupling rods so the one on the right has the joint in the wrong place and cannot be swopped as one rod will always end up wrong.

I received a reply from Kevin Grindley, Sales Admin Manager to say that the person he needed to speak to about this wasn't in until Wednesday but he would speak to him when he was in. I've subsequently requested a response on two occasions, the first was met with a further delaying email from Kevin, the second, last Thursday, has gone unanswered! 

If this is representative of Dapols 'communication' and willingness to correct their mistakes, I'm not impressed.

Colin

Hi Colin, I empathise, one of my trade friends has had even more hassle when trying to order spares - which doesnt reflect well on him, in front of his customers.

ATVB to one and all,

CME

Yep average pricing is £55 at the mo, on the likes of Ebay and dontpaycorporatetaxazon....but they can still be found at sensible money.

Picked up a copy in Barter Books in Alnwick whilst on holiday in Northumberland in July and it was just under £20 iirc. Handel Kardas' book is equally recommended.

Cheers,

Andrew

The Bodiams have arrived at Dapol, and I've doubled my order! They have just e-mailed me two photos and it looks very nice. It doesn't quite match the only photo close to the period I want that I've seen, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. Converting to Rolvenden looks straightforward.

I've asked Dapol if I can post the photos here, and suppose I'd better wait for their reply.

The Bodiams have arrived at Dapol, and I've doubled my order! They have just e-mailed me two photos and it looks very nice. It doesn't quite match the only photo close to the period I want that I've seen, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. Converting to Rolvenden looks straightforward.

I've asked Dapol if I can post the photos here, and suppose I'd better wait for their reply.

Hi John,

That sounds good - if you can get authority to Post then it will be nice to see a photo or two of lastest locos in that livery.

ATVB

CME

Hi John,

That sounds good - if you can get authority to Post then it will be nice to see a photo or two of lastest locos in that livery.

ATVB

CME

If not, I'll post photos of mine when they arrive. Hattons don't know when that will be though, as I told them a lot more than they knew when I phoned to increase my order.

• Like 1

If not, I'll post photos of mine when they arrive. Hattons don't know when that will be though, as I told them a lot more than they knew when I phoned to increase my order.

Thats a good idea. See what I was saying about communications, it makes me chuckle now though as worse things happen at sea - and remember, back in the day, when we would all look at catalogues (from Beatties et al) filled with artists impressions of proposed models and when the models arrived they looked like artists impressions too :mosking: .

Looking forward to getting mine though as theyre arnt half bad!

BTW does anyone know - do they run smoothly? The reviews say that they do :)

ATVB

CME :)

Hi John,

ATVB

CME

Sorry, you'll have to wait for the official photos, as these were just taken on a phone for my benefit. They look perfectly good to let loose on the world to me though.