Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

I'd very much like to replace the chimney with a Drummond chimney. Does anyone know of anywhere I can get such a chimney or, is there anyone out there who could turn one as a one off commission?, I believe it was the same as the chimney fitted to the B4 0-4-0. 

Colin

I'd very much like to replace the chimney with a Drummond chimney. Does anyone know of anywhere I can get such a chimney or, is there anyone out there who could turn one as a one off commission?, I believe it was the same as the chimney fitted to the B4 0-4-0. 

Colin

I think the Alan Gibson range of 'bits' has a Drummond-type funnel listed.

I'm going to put an IEG (Improved Engine Green, Stroudley Yellow) 'Brighton' in a box with a BR black version and give it a good shake.  Hopefully the splashers and the smoke boxes will get swapped over.  What's the chance of that.....

It's to produce 32635 'Brighton Works' and Ds680, the Lancing Works shunter. 

The harder one is 32635 as I'll need to repaint the steps and the splashers.  Most stuff is additions, ie pipework etc, plus the wooden brake blocks need replacing (So if anyone wants to swap the later version, send me a PM).

Ds680 is kind of easier as it had lots of extra pipes, looks like the injectors were fitted by the SECR and bolted on the right hand cab front, a pipe then running down the side if each cab...  It looks like a satin black (dirty black/dark grey) finish.

Years ago I'd been petrified of damaging the model, but when you get over 60, you think, what the f***  and get on with it...

• Like 1

I took mine apart too, to convert it to an IoW prototype.

attachicon.gif01 Terrier Bits.jpg

Took a few more bits off as the conversion went on. Haven't counted them, I'm too easily scared, but it will be fun putting it all back together!

Circling back, may I ask if its easy to remove the cab and cab interior without a major disassembly job?

Circling back, may I ask if its easy to remove the cab and cab interior without a major disassembly job?

Relatively easy. Start by separating the body and chassis - 4 screws from underneath; then carefully remove all the boiler fittings which connect with the cab, including the Westinghouse pump. The cab is lightly glued from below and it may be necessary to break the glue joints with a fine knife blade or they may come apart with gentle leverage,

With the cab separated, remove the bunker extension (it's a tight push fit) and the cab back will pull out. The cab floor will also pull out. The backhead is a separate layer at the front and, again, should pull out. Spectacle lenses are lightly glued in and will push out quite easily They're best replaced with a touch of varnish or Humbrol ClearFix.

The paint finish inside the cab is a very 'greasy' one and doesn't cover well. Use several thin coats or spray the whole cab interior with Halfords grey or white primer for better adhesion.

Hope this helps.

Colin

Relatively easy. Start by separating the body and chassis - 4 screws from underneath; then carefully remove all the boiler fittings which connect with the cab, including the Westinghouse pump. The cab is lightly glued from below and it may be necessary to break the glue joints with a fine knife blade or they may come apart with gentle leverage,

With the cab separated, remove the bunker extension (it's a tight push fit) and the cab back will pull out. The cab floor will also pull out. The backhead is a separate layer at the front and, again, should pull out. Spectacle lenses are lightly glued in and will push out quite easily They're best replaced with a touch of varnish or Humbrol ClearFix.

The paint finish inside the cab is a very 'greasy' one and doesn't cover well. Use several thin coats or spray the whole cab interior with Halfords grey or white primer for better adhesion.

Hope this helps.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks so much for that - very much appreciated and very informative.

I am sure that it will help others too.

Just waiting for it to arrive now!

Kindest regards,

CME

Tower Models are still listing it.

Has anyone seen photos of the K&ESR one? Is it the right shade of blue? I'm not sure whether to order a second one to convert to Rolvendon, but it looks like I may have to decide pretty soon.

Does anyone know if 'Bodiam' will be produced as an A1 or A1X ?

Ray.

Ray.

It seems strange that we are this close to receiving these models but have yet to see any photographs of this next batch............... unless of course someone out there knows better?

Ray.

I've read that it's in the condition as delivered from Brighton Works, and is therefore an A1. It had better be, as it's what got me started in O Gauge, and I'm aiming for around 1905!

It seems strange that we are this close to receiving these models but have yet to see any photographs of this next batch............... unless of course someone out there knows better?

I agree. Dapol told me on 14th September that they'd be here mid October, but someone in the Colonel Stephens Society was asked to advise on the correct shade of blue at Telford, as they knew they'd got it wrong. So a lack of photos is rather worrying. I've been tempted to order a second one to convert to Rolvendon, but I'll wait to see Bodiam when (if?) it turns up, and hope there are some still available, before deciding.

Time to make a start.

As I prepared to turn Brighton into 'Brighton Works', I pondered the first step.  With some trepidation I took the model from its box.  A quick wiggle and the buffers were off, undo the 4 screws underneath and another wiggle to detatch the speaker from the tank side, then extract the 'firebox glow'.  Pieces then flew off at a rate of knots.  Another couple of screws under the tanks were removed.  The 'tenons' for fixing the smokebox to the footplate were pushed out from below.

Here in its state of undress:

post-2484-0-71227400-1445356870_thumb.jpg

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a black A1X to start swapping parts over.  The condenser pipes will be fitted to 2644.

post-2484-0-88722500-1445356878_thumb.jpg

It was a shame to remove the LBSC number plates as they are exquisite.

I need a set of brake hangers with iron blocks, anyone want to do a swap?

The footplate seems to be an alloy casting.  The LBSC A has wing plates to the smokebox front with separate splashers.  Very clever.  I'm looking forward to my black AiX to arrive so I can fit the plain splashers and extended smokebox.  Hopefully the coal rails on the bunker can be swapped onto the yellow version.  If I'm lucky I'll only have to paint the splasher sides and repaint the tank sides to create 32635 "Brighton Works".

Spoke to Tower Models this morning that advised the latest shipment were being sent by air freight today.  Wow.

• Like 1