Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

@railtec-models do a couple of customisable transfer sets - eg brake van allocations / wagon allocations and I think Steve already does the right font with the existing "British Railways" early loco lettering, so it may be that a custom set for that loco doesn't involve significant design work (other than getting the size right. The long string is determined by the bunker length, so its just judging the number really).

D.S. 680

C&W LANCING WORKS

Worth asking!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There seems to be a fair amount of extra pipework to create too! Further study of prototype pictures might enable some of that to be made from copper wire etc.......

Regards,

Jim.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jeepy said:

Whilst perusing further down the list I found the complete kit for the Westinghouse pump which includes both 'cylinders' it seems, Dapol number 115188 at £6, I've ordered that instead of 2 of the 113864 parts.....I'm hoping I've done the right thing!

Hi Jim,

Having just had a look, I'm sure you've got it right - a fair bit cheaper and a bit less work to do than the bits I bought.  I should have looked a bit more carefully!  I've just taken three photos of the air pump pipework on my other Dapol Terrier to give you a bit of a hand - it's not as complex as you might think.

@Hal Nail - Thanks for the suggestion for the lettering.  I'll make an enquiry. 

Pete T.

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

Very helpful Pete, thank you!

Also, I was observing all the pipe work on top of the loco in your prototype picture......🤔.

I'm sure it'll be an interesting little project! 🙂,

Regards,

Jim.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, PJT said:

@Hal Nail - Thanks for the suggestion for the lettering.  I'll make an enquiry. 

Pete T.

IMG_1595.jpg

Much as I'm tempted to do 680, I'm still more keen on an umber one, which I've turned down numerous times on eBay!

Edited by Hal Nail

23 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

Very helpful Pete, thank you!

Also, I was observing all the pipe work on top of the loco in your prototype picture......🤔.

I'm sure it'll be an interesting little project! 🙂,

Regards,

Jim.

My apologies!......It's Hal Nail's prototype picture,

Cheers!

Jim.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

I've got a BR period Terrier upstairs.  I'll dig it out later today and have a look and, if it looks like it has the same runs of pipework coming out of the cab front, I'll sort out a couple of photos for you.

Pete T.

• Thanks 1

That is an interesting photo of Waddon.  It must have been taken after it was withdrawn as it has the Marsh chimney taken from the Brighton Works Terrier instead of the Drummond one it carried during its working life.

The Marsh chimney was going to be used for the restoration but a new one was made instead so it ended up at the Bluebell Railway.

Hopefully it is still there, the last surviving piece of 'Brighton Works'.

Rodney (Terrier nut)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, PJT said:
7 hours ago, Jeepy said:

I've got a BR period Terrier upstairs.  I'll dig it out later today and have a look and, if it looks like it has the same runs of pipework coming out of the cab front, I'll sort out a couple of photos for you.

Pete T.

Not such great news, Jim.  My other O gauge Terrier is 32650 and the pipework out of the cab front is nothing like DS680's.

The photo possibly indicates that DS680's pipework was a bit ad hoc (doesn't look neatly done).  However, 32650 was an extended bunker Terrier brought back from the Isle of Wight in 1937, then served as DS515 as Waddon's predecessor at Lancing, then returned to capital stock in 1953, so it had plenty of excuse to receive all sorts of modifications, too  - and that's assuming Dapol's pipework depiction on the model is anywhere near accurate, which it might well not be (Hornby's recent OO model of DS680 lacks all the pipes from the RH side of the cab front that are visible in the photo Hal Nail posted).  More photos of DS680 will be needed, preferably from above, I think.

Then there's the Drummond chimney referred to by @RodneySabove.  I knew DS680 was intended to take the Marsh chimney from 32635 'Brighton Works'; the penny hadn't dropped that it wore a Drummond chimney in service.  I have 4mm Drummond chimneys, but not a 7mm one.  Added to the list of things to find!

Edited by PJT
Grammar correction

3 hours ago, RodneyS said:

That is an interesting photo of Waddon.  It must have been taken after it was withdrawn as it has the Marsh chimney taken from the Brighton Works Terrier instead of the Drummond one it carried during its working life.

The Marsh chimney was going to be used for the restoration but a new one was made instead so it ended up at the Bluebell Railway.

Hopefully it is still there, the last surviving piece of 'Brighton Works'.

Rodney (Terrier nut)

Thank you Rodney, interesting! 🤔,

1 hour ago, PJT said:

Not such great news, Jim.  My other O gauge Terrier is 32650 and the pipework out of the cab front is nothing like DS680's.

The photo possibly indicates that DS680's pipework was a bit ad hoc (doesn't look neatly done).  However, 32650 was an extended bunker Terrier brought back from the Isle of Wight in 1937, then served as DS515 as Waddon's predecessor at Lancing, then returned to capital stock in 1953, so it had plenty of excuse to receive all sorts of modifications, too  - and that's assuming Dapol's pipework depiction on the model is anywhere near accurate, which it might well not be (Hornby's recent OO model of DS680 lacks all the pipes from the RH side of the cab front that are visible in the photo Hal Nail posted).  More photos of DS680 will be needed, preferably from above, I think.

Then there's the Drummond chimney referred to by @RodneySabove.  I knew DS680 was intended to take the Marsh chimney from 32635 'Brighton Works'; the penny hadn't dropped that it wore a Drummond chimney in service.  I have 4mm Drummond chimneys, but not a 7mm one.  Added to the list of things to find!

Thanks for taking the time to have a look Pete!

The pipework on Ds680 does look like it's been 'thrown' together doesn't it!........on the hunt for more piccies now! Lol! 

Regards,

Jim.

• RMweb Premium
On 12/10/2015 at 15:08, Overner said:

I'd very much like to replace the chimney with a Drummond chimney. Does anyone know of anywhere I can get such a chimney or, is there anyone out there who could turn one as a one off commission?, I believe it was the same as the chimney fitted to the B4 0-4-0. 

Colin

@Jeepy Hi again Jim,

Just found the above on page 32 of this thread... several other useful comments on there, too, especially concerning possible SECR origin of the RH cab front pipes.

Given that the Dapol B4 Drummond chimney is available as a spare from the Dapol website, priced at £2.00, I've ordered one to see if it'll fit on the Terrier.  Both the B4 and the Terrier seem to split the chimney from the smokebox in approximately the same place, so I think there's a pretty good chance it'll either fit, or be made to fit, without too much trouble.  Once the chimney gets here, I'll report back!

Pete T.

• RMweb Premium

I'm going to horrify everyone and slap the word "southern" on the tank-side in "sunshine" and the pick a random number to go on the side of the cab...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

I'm going to horrify everyone and slap the word "southern" on the tank-side in "sunshine" and the pick a random number to go on the side of the cab...

Love that idea! 😀

11 hours ago, PJT said:

@Jeepy Hi again Jim,

Just found the above on page 32 of this thread... several other useful comments on there, too, especially concerning possible SECR origin of the RH cab front pipes.

Given that the Dapol B4 Drummond chimney is available as a spare from the Dapol website, priced at £2.00, I've ordered one to see if it'll fit on the Terrier.  Both the B4 and the Terrier seem to split the chimney from the smokebox in approximately the same place, so I think there's a pretty good chance it'll either fit, or be made to fit, without too much trouble.  Once the chimney gets here, I'll report back!

Pete T.

Hello Pete,

That's great! I'll have a read through that, that'll be an interesting experiment with the chimney 🤔, thank you,

Regards,

Jim.

14 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

And I have slapped etched nameplates on the tank sides, no numbering  and use it as fictional industrial locomotive.

• Like 3

Dont  copy  Dapol  pipework,  my  Terrier  W9  model  has  the  Westinghouse  feed  coming  out  of  the  cab  doorway  (correct),  this  is  the  pipe  to   the  left  of  the  top  (steam)  cylinder  on  the  pump,  the  pipe  on  the  right  of  this  cylinder  is  the  steam  exhaust,  this  should  go  up  and over  the  right  hand  tank  and  vanish  into  the  R/H  side of  the  smokebox  however  on  my  model  as  supplied  it  connects  to  a  steam  valve  on  top  of  the  boiler  (wrong).

Pete

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, IWCR said:

Dont  copy  Dapol  pipework,  my  Terrier  W9  model  has  the  Westinghouse  feed  coming  out  of  the  cab  doorway  (correct),  this  is  the  pipe  to   the  left  of  the  top  (steam)  cylinder  on  the  pump,  the  pipe  on  the  right  of  this  cylinder  is  the  steam  exhaust,  this  should  go  up  and over  the  right  hand  tank  and  vanish  into  the  R/H  side of  the  smokebox  however  on  my  model  as  supplied  it  connects  to  a  steam  valve  on  top  of  the  boiler  (wrong).

Pete

I did wonder after looking at prototype pictures! 🤔,

My bits came today, the Westinghouse pump kit is complete but in Southern Railway Green, not a problem to paint it and it did say Southern on the listing to be fair, great service from Peter's Spares!

Cheers,

Jim.

20240308_173610.jpg.0e6db859b9c5ceb3bf04c2ea68b66b97.jpg

Can anyone provide pipework photos for westinghouse pump? I need to do the same on my S&M terriers at some point, and SM&M photos sowing the top of the tanks are non existent -all I can say is the Dapol pipework is wrong, but can't see what I shoudl actually have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

@JeepyHi Jim,

The Drummond B4 chimney from Dapol arrived while we were away last week.  I've just got around to comparing it to the one fitted to the model at the factory:

The diameter of the bottom of the Drummond chimney is 0.2mm smaller than the original (7.09mm vs. 7.29mm), while the spigot sticking out of the bottom that fixes it in the chimney base on the smokebox is 5.7mm on the Drummond and 5.15mm on the original chimney.  Opening out the hole on the loco slightly does the trick and the Drummond chimney fits as a snug push fit. 

The 0.2mm difference in diameter between the Drummond chimney and the chimney base on the smokebox wouldn't be noticeable were it not for the different black finish of the chimney (see photo).  I'm happy to sort that out.

Pete T.

IMG_1624.jpg

Excellent work Pete!

Thanks for reporting back 👍, that looks good to me and quite a straight forward swap with a minimum amount of fettling it seems.....I still need to do more research and I haven't made a start on mine yet but I'm off to the Dapol website to grab a B4 chimney! 

I've managed to find a hardback copy of the Stroudley and his Terriers book which is winging it's way to me.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on, it's going to be an interesting little project I think 🤔

Regards,

Jim.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone who has a Terrier and a 14xx or 57xx advise on the relative running?

I have or have had numerous 14xx and 57xx and they are smooth as silk and near silent. 

My Terrier makes far more motor/gear whir. Its not terrible but nothing like as good as those and I was curious whether thats normal before I tinker.

To be fair my Lionheart 45xxs are even noisier so it may be the 14xx and 57xx are just spectacularly good. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I have all three. I would agree the Terrier is more noisy. Not bad but not as good as the other two.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade. Just wanted to check I hadn't bought a rough one!

• Like 1