Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Thanks for bringing the Lenz range to my attention. They look to have a far superior geometry.

Flat-bottom which will suit some prototypes better than others - although my industrial railway made considerable use of flat-bottom it was generally of lighter section than code 143.

Though I did recently use two offcuts of code 143 for the crashbeams on my Fowler, and it doesn't look too huge.

IMG_2926.JPG.f6989c985bff0ee83a414710c6128cfb.JPG

Note: the loco is sat on a Marcway point with Peco bullhead rail soldered direct to the copperclad, and then dressed up with cut-down plastic chairs. Not perfect but looks OK from a distance...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

Thanks for bringing the Lenz range to my attention. They look to have a far superior geometry.

The problem with Lenz is the cost, £112.50 a point is enough to make me lose interest.

4 minutes ago, goldfish said:

The problem with Lenz is the cost, £112.50 a point is enough to make me lose interest.

That’s a fair point, nearly twice the Peco Setrack 😱

Perhaps the Marcway ones I used for expediency are actually still a good choice - £65 for 48” or 60” standard points. 
Mol

If anyone is still hankering after a black Dapol Terrier for 150 quid, Hattons have now got (at time of posting) 240 of the little devils.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/295234/dapol_7s_010_015_class_a1x_terrier_0_6_0t_in_plain_black/stockdetail

Don't know where they came from, either they found another couple of cases as they sorted stock for clearance, or Dapol sent them over on SOR...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

If anyone is still hankering after a black Dapol Terrier for 150 quid, Hattons have now got (at time of posting) 240 of the little devils.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/295234/dapol_7s_010_015_class_a1x_terrier_0_6_0t_in_plain_black/stockdetail

Don't know where they came from, either they found another couple of cases as they sorted stock for clearance, or Dapol sent them over on SOR...

Gosh, at that price it's very hard not to!

I think I might be on the same quest as @Schooner - to find something else that would fit a Terrier chassis!

Mol

Breaking strain of a wet kitkat, me!

It's a great little loco by all accounts, and that price is less than almost any decent 4mm RTR in 2024. I don't need a Terrier though, so very much on the lookout things to use a Terrier chassis for. @woko's done some gorgeous 7mm prints, time to check out his thread for inspiration...

Has nobody here done the 00 thing and used a Terrier chassis under something else?

Fletcher-Jennings-Class-J-1.jpg

Purists! 

:)

Edited by Schooner
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The wheel diameter of a Terrier is uncomfortably large - that's what I found on my very brief search. Most industrials have 3'0" or less, but a Terrier is 4'0". Of course that also impacts the overall wheelbase.

Now, if I could find a suitable small loco that worked for the L&Y / LNWR / CLC in the Manchester docks area, I might be tempted.

18 minutes ago, Schooner said:

They're all hiding...

(Sorry, couldn't help it and  it supports your point re driver diameter!)

It has been known for industrial locos with larger wheels and longer wheelbase to try and hide too. But being a bit bigger they can't hide themselves quite so well under a couple of troublesome trucks...

74_Latchford_1928.jpg.0463a9cddaec3694994914b3cc204320.jpg

Kitson MSC 74 also buried under wagons in 1928. I've got a 90% complete model of the similar MSC 80 (less bent) that I really must finish off!

Mol

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Schooner said:

They're all hiding...

Barton Hump, 1925

(Sorry, couldn't help it and  it supports your point re driver diameter!)

I've heard of adding weight for better adhesion but that's ridiculous.  (Great photo BTW, thanks for posting it.)

Ray.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

34 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

If you are looking for a relatively cheap terrier you may be interested to see that Hattons have got 226 of the plain black versions in stock at £150 each.

Another 14 gone since I posted on Wednesday, eh?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

Rails of Sheffield are selling these for £125.

I hate you(*). I'm going to have to lay out my o gauge track now...

(*) well, not really (**)

(**) maybe i should blame Rails (***)

(***) or maybe my lack of impulse control

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

Received mine via Royal Mail yesterday, (Monday) very nice and great service from Rails! Ordered it on Friday.

Am I correct in saying it looks like the wooden brake block version? 

Regards,

Jim.

P.S.   I haven't done any research on them yet, I just couldn't resist at that price!

Edited by Jeepy
To add something.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jeepy said:

Am I correct in saying it looks like the wooden brake block versuon

It's the early format before they were reboilered as A1X some time before BR days. Winged smokebox/splashers and original chimney, plus wooden brake blocks. Once rebuilt the front end was quite different.

Waddon stayed nearer this format than the others, in use till quite late at Lancing carriage works.

DS680 - Stroudley LBSCR Class A1X 0-6-0T - built 12/1875 by Brighton Works as LBSCR No.54 WADDON - 1900 to LBSCR No.654 WADDON, 1904 to SECR No.751,  1931 to SR No.1751, 01/48 to BR No.DS680 as Lancing Works Pilot - 06/62 withdrawn, preserved, shipped to Canada - seen here at Eastleigh.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

All this talk about Terriers has encouraged me to buy a couple from Rails together with a Peco ST-701 starter track set. There is some variety in performance. My Southern Terrier is quieter than my British Railways version and has brighter firebox glow. Surprisingly the British Railways version is faster than my Southern version. After I had run in the British Railways Terrier I put a drop of oil on the connecting rods and axles which was sooner than recommended in the instructions. This is my first two-rail 0 gauge electric train. I started in 0 gauge about 70 years ago with Hornby clockwork and more recently I ran Airfix and Darstaed course scale. O gauge benefits with a huge range of model cars and vehicles but there are not many buildings to choose from. There are lips on the tables at Winterborne Kingston village hall so I put some card down under the track to provide a level surface.

P1020837.JPG

Edited by Robin Brasher
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

there are not many buildings to choose from.

A few to try: Intentio, Timber Tracks, Skytrex, Laser Cut Railway Models, LCUT creative, Invertrains, Railmodel

Also you can always buy 4mm card kits and blow them up on a copier as a basis for a semi scratch build.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

It's the early format before they were reboilered as A1X some time before BR days. Winged smokebox/splashers and original chimney, plus wooden brake blocks. Once rebuilt the front end was quite different.

Waddon stayed nearer this format than the others, in use till quite late at Lancing carriage works.

You can get the plain black Dapol A1 Terrier very close to DS680 (Waddon) by ordering a few Dapol spares from Peter's Spares.  The metal brake set (Dapol no. 110319), bunker top extension (Dapol no. 113197) and Westinghouse pump (Dapol no. 113864) are on their way to me in the post at the moment. 

Unfortunately I failed to realise in time that you need to order two of the Dapol spare part Westinghouse pumps to make one complete Westinghouse pump assembly (if I'd looked a bit more at the photo it was obvious!), so I'll have to order another later today.  There's also a couple of SR/BR era lamp irons to add, but they're easy to do.  I haven't begun to try to find lettering for the bunkerside yet. 

The nice thing about DS680 is that, though she spent most of her time at Lancing carriage works, she did get out on at least one excursion - there's photos online of her at Robertsbridge and Tenterden.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 05/03/2024 at 09:58, PJT said:

You can get the plain black Dapol A1 Terrier very close to DS680 (Waddon) by ordering a few Dapol spares from Peter's Spares.  The metal brake set (Dapol no. 110319), bunker top extension (Dapol no. 113197) and Westinghouse pump (Dapol no. 113864) are on their way to me in the post at the moment. 

Unfortunately I failed to realise in time that you need to order two of the Dapol spare part Westinghouse pumps to make one complete Westinghouse pump assembly (if I'd looked a bit more at the photo it was obvious!), so I'll have to order another later today.  There's also a couple of SR/BR era lamp irons to add, but they're easy to do.  I haven't begun to try to find lettering for the bunkerside yet. 

The nice thing about DS680 is that, though she spent most of her time at Lancing carriage works, she did get out on at least one excursion - there's photos online of her at Robertsbridge and Tenterden.

Hi PJT,

I've just ordered those parts from Peter's Spares thank you! Whilst perusing further down the list I found the complete kit for the Westinghouse pump which includes both 'cylinders' it seems, Dapol number 115188 at £6, I've ordered that instead of 2 of the 113864 parts.....I'm hoping I've done the right thing! If not, no problem, I'll just re order 2 x 113864's,

Best wishes,

Jim.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1