Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Map

That sounds like a plan. Still bring something stripey and too modern cos that is fun as well.

So when are you coming?

Hi Clive

I'll enter negotiations with the domestic authorities and let you know, suspect March...

I still want to find my A4 and bring that too, probably safe to say it's not been powered up in over 20 years but at least you have suitable stock for it to pull :) (i'll bring something garish too of course...)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Hi Clive

I'll enter negotiations with the domestic authorities and let you know, suspect March...

I still want to find my A4 and bring that too, probably safe to say it's not been powered up in over 20 years but at least you have suitable stock for it to pull :) (i'll bring something garish too of course...)

I have the wheel cleaning stuff ready and some lubricant for the A4. Just send a PM when you know you are free.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Hi Clive

Oh goody, another one that needs to NEGOTIATE with the relevant authorities, :good:Glad it's not just me mate.

Thorntons are my currency.:)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Nice one Clive, looking forward to seeing your Swindon unit. I found Trailer Compos the hardest to cut and shut on my ScR unit as the space between windows needed widening (even using 1st class spaced windows) which was a pita.IMG_20171002_114123_1.jpg.ad728692fbe380a84b1e868da4b4ae01.jpg

As for deepening the sides I cut off the locating rib which runs along the base of the sides, before cutting the sides up, thus:IMG_20171001_175651_1.jpg.5d2dba4ccc1ba3dd3a81a3d5c1ecf4fe.jpg

Conveniently these ribs have an angled edge so they were then turned and glued flush to the lower edge with Plasticweld; doing it as a long strip also adds strength to the cut & shut.

Drop me a line if I can help with any "wot I did" measurements.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn

I forgot to say I am doing a buffet car where the first class windows should be spaced out a tad but I am not sure anyone will notice. :secret:

I am thinking of placing the motor in the kitchen end of the buffet not in the brake so when/if I expand the train to six cars the model power car will not be pushing five coaches at speed, it will be two or three. The Transpennine whooshes four in front sometimes and so does the WR Intercity set when it is at its full eight car train. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jim

Swindon units had shallower windows, so by adding a few millimeters of plasticard to the bottom gives the right height and position of the windows, the second class seating was a bit more cramped than on a hauled coach so the spacing is correct. The missing length off the two motor coaches will be grafted on from Tri-ang coaches. Underframes and roofs Tri-ang. The Buffet is quite a bit of cut and shut, but then catering coaches are never standard so no additional Tri-ang bits.

The Trix roof is the correct profile and width for a Hastings unit. I have some Bachmann 57 ft undeframes from making my EMUs and I can make a flat sided coach. The front half of two of them are half locomotives.

I have run out of Mk1 coaches as I need a couple to make the center coach of a 3 car Cravens unit.

Hi Clive,

Plenty of Trix sides here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-lot-of-16-x-Trix-carriage-sides-for-BR-W-mk1-coaches-OO-gauge-spares/273690208291?hash=item3fb9352823:g:SyEAAOSwmVdbmoja

Here are some of my cut and shut Hornby Traing MK1's, I really ought to get them painted.......and glazed.......and fit the bogies.......

DSCF0354.JPG.15fcc282dff85c2ec9af485efcd5b65f.JPG

BFK, BSO, BSK, BG.

DSCF0355.JPG.dc203559b9a79abfcbc7328d1d2610f8.JPG

FO, FK, SK, CK.

DSCF0357.JPG.7a33e8bda0e6d810108ab6d9a96bd6b4.JPG

SO (!!!), RMB, SLEP.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Plenty of Trix sides here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-lot-of-16-x-Trix-carriage-sides-for-BR-W-mk1-coaches-OO-gauge-spares/273690208291?hash=item3fb9352823:g:SyEAAOSwmVdbmoja

Here are some of my cut and shut Hornby Traing MK1's, I really ought to get them painted.......and glazed.......and fit the bogies.......

DSCF0354.JPG.15fcc282dff85c2ec9af485efcd5b65f.JPG

BFK, BSO, BSK, BG.

DSCF0355.JPG.dc203559b9a79abfcbc7328d1d2610f8.JPG

FO, FK, SK, CK.

DSCF0357.JPG.7a33e8bda0e6d810108ab6d9a96bd6b4.JPG

SO (!!!), RMB, SLEP.

Hi Gibbo 

Surely there is no rush......A BFK and a BSO would  be a bit different. I think a Griddle car might be added to the list. One of them on a cross country service is more fitting than a full kitchen car flanked by two dinning cars. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

All this cut and shut natter and UDJ mentioning on the Duck's thread about the brake ends of 2 BSKs can make a BG well tonight I have eventually put the sides, ends and roof of the inspection saloon together and some buffer beams on its chassis. I have also glued together 8 brake halves of BSK to make 4 sides of BGs, cut two chassis to length and bodged two roofs to make another pair of BGs. Photos tomorrow night when the lineside photographer isn't so knackered.   

Edit, it was on this thread that UDJ mentioned the 2 BSk BG thingy. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

Just now, Clive Mortimore said:

All this cut and shut natter and UDJ mentioning on the Duck's thread about the brake ends of 2 BSKs can make a BG well tonight I have eventually put the sides, ends and roof of the inspection saloon together and some buffer beams on its chassis. I have also glued together 8 brake halves of BSK to make 4 sides of BGs, cut two chassis to length and bodged two roofs to make another pair of BGs. Photos tomorrow night when the lineside photographer isn't so knackered.   

Hi Clive,

Here is this evening's cut and shut;

DSCF0665.JPG.635efcc5d4e6feb03b895ac8127a3367.JPG

Among other reasons it is why my MK1's are not yet painted !

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

We didn't have a song last night. Well yesterday the Regrettes released their new song, a love song on Valentines day. I like a lot of what the Regrettes did on their first album and live Lydia has great stage presences and gets the crowd on the bands side. I am not too sure about this song, I hope there isn't too much record company pressure on them to be a pop band. It is an OK pop song but one naughty word doesn't make it a punk song and I know they can do better. See what you think. 

• RMweb Premium

The inspection saloon, a Western Region diagram 1/552. The only inspection saloons made to Mk1 specifications. There were three of them and DB999506 the first one differed in having a second restaurant car shallow window  above the desk in the left hand saloon when looking at the kitchen side of the coach. My model will represent this coach.

100_5682a.jpg.74765e98ed6ee21491f127804de13b54.jpg

100_5683a.jpg.0a05bdc5af614d18495e7a8a8f426553.jpg

100_5684a.jpg.0e87300147aed34eb4c72c3253e12f4a.jpg

Each side is made up from 11 bits of coach.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Now the two full brakes.

100_5685a.jpg.9b0b4c5e399b71af1c58d04aebe1fd88.jpg

100_5686a.jpg.fd6f7f1eacbffd443c263865a5b4fc85.jpg

The coach with two different coloured bits of roof (with the gap that needs filling) are the result of leaving stock in the car on a hot day. This is the other end of the coach roofs. Each coach needs one of the guard's door filled.

100_5681a.jpg.2a3b0bbfcebc86c403f1b783e1b9a5ba.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The inspection saloon, a Western Region diagram 1/552. The only inspection saloons made to Mk1 specifications. There were three of them and DB999506 the first one differed in having a second restaurant car sallow window  above the desk in the left hand saloon when looking at the kitchen side of the coach. My model will represent this coach.

100_5682a.jpg.74765e98ed6ee21491f127804de13b54.jpg

100_5683a.jpg.0a05bdc5af614d18495e7a8a8f426553.jpg

100_5684a.jpg.0e87300147aed34eb4c72c3253e12f4a.jpg

Each side is made up from 11 bits of coach.

Sacrilege, what's that / OR THEM poor coaches done to offend you, bet they look good before the Butcher of Essex / Lincolnshire got his chopper to them.

• Funny 2

Clive, looks like you've got those near two dozen bits pretty straight on the sides of that saloon you're building. I don't envy you of the task of all the filling, sanding and general smoothing needed to achieve a reasonable finish. You have just a few other coaches and multiple units to complete as well!. 

You have seen the Airfix LMS cut and shuts I done many years ago, they were far simpler. I've done some GWR flat end suburban coaches some years ago from Farish and Airfix non corridors, they have taken some filling. Meanwhile I press on with LMS coaches, mostly Comet sides on Airfix donor coaches. Maybe one day I'll get something posted on here but don't hold your breath! it took long enough just to type this!!

Jim

• Like 1