Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
On 27/02/2019 at 21:16, Clive Mortimore said:

I was presented with a bag full of MTK part built parcels coaches, mainly BR and LMS with two GWR bodies. I have now identified which GWR full brakes they are, K42s. Excellent as there is no RTR model of these.

On 28/02/2019 at 07:24, St Enodoc said:

Interesting. I must have another look at my GWR full brake bodyshells and check what diagram they actually represent.

Curiouser and curiouser.

I've got four aluminium shells (sides and roof combined).

One is a 57' bow end and clearly a K38. So far so good.

Another is a 60' flat end with the same window pattern as a K41 although the spacing doesn't look quite right when compared with photos in Russell. K41 is close enough for me though.

The third is a 57' flat end and looks like a K42 except for the double windows in the guards' doors. I'll fill in the extra holes and build it as a K42.

The last is a mystery. The body shell scales out at 56' flat end with a similar, but differently spaced, window pattern to the quasi-K42. I have no idea what it is supposed to be. I think it will go into the For Sale box.

I can't tell whether these are MTK, Westdale or something else.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Curiouser and curiouser.

Another is a 60' flat end with the same window pattern as a K41 although the spacing doesn't look quite right when compared with photos in Russell. K41 is close enough for me though.

The third is a 57' flat end and looks like a K42 except for the double windows in the guards' doors. I'll fill in the extra holes and build it as a K42.

The last is a mystery. The body shell scales out at 56' flat end with a similar, but differently spaced, window pattern to the quasi-K42. I have no idea what it is supposed to be. I think it will go into the For Sale box.

Didn't Hamblings do a range of scratchbuilders aids kits mainly GWR coaches. I remember looking at some once, non gangway stock, thinking this looks OK for LMS suburbans, only to be told they were GWR.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Curiouser and curiouser.

They sound like Westdale kits. I've built quite a few and have a number stashed away. I'll try and dig them out for comparison.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Didn't Hamblings do a range of scratchbuilders aids kits mainly GWR coaches. I remember looking at some once, non gangway stock, thinking this looks OK for LMS suburbans, only to be told they were GWR.

Didn't know that Clive - you may be right. The only Hamblings coaches I remember were the old Merco litho papers.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Denbridge said:

They sound like Westdale kits. I've built quite a few and have a number stashed away. I'll try and dig them out for comparison.

That's quite possible. I've got a large selection of this type of shell and I think the breadth of the range means that they are more likely to be Westdale than MTK. Somewhere I've got an old Wait and Hope catalogue that lists the whole MTK range. Quite where though is another question.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That's quite possible. I've got a large selection of this type of shell and I think the breadth of the range means that they are more likely to be Westdale than MTK. Somewhere I've got an old Wait and Hope catalogue that lists the whole MTK range. Quite where though is another question.

I remember going in the W&H shop and asking for an MTK kit, "No that is one we don't have"......same answer each time I asked had they a another kit so I gave up after about five request.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I remember going in the W&H shop and asking for an MTK kit, "No that is one we don't have"......same answer each time I asked had they a another kit so I gave up after about five request.  

Sounds like you had a lucky escape there!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I haven't operated the Exchange for over a week, so made the effort tonight. Well I have run my first two trains. I had one out of the Doncaster sidings ( a nice 5 car Derby/Met cam combination) , as that set off I drove an eight car Met-cam and BRCW set. At least that what intended, the eight car ran backwards hitting the wall. Flicked the switch and it ran the right way, unbeknown to me the last coach was derailed when it met the wall. I stopped the train when I realised. Walked over to put on the track and behind me was BANG as the 5 car set crashed into bits of modelling I had not cleared from the track. 

I will now try and run another two.......

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Now if I was to change my method of control will operator errors stop. I forgot to change the point leading into the station at the Barnsley Junction, leaving the BRCW and Derby combo across the path of the four car Met-Cam. Stopped the Met-Cam just in time. 

Otherwise the layout is running very well. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Less Wine and more water my friend, any pics, not of the disasters of course but the running bits in between, or you looking for some hair to pull out?:banghead:

Now that is not fair to kick a bloke when he is already down......

Fings ain't got any better, I am giving up operating toy trains. :cry:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Now that is not fair to kick a bloke when he is already down......

Fings ain't got any better, I am giving up operating toy trains. :cry:

Taking up Orse Riding instead?:notme:

53 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I haven't operated the Exchange for over a week, so made the effort tonight. Well I have run my first two trains. I had one out of the Doncaster sidings ( a nice 5 car Derby/Met cam combination) , as that set off I drove an eight car Met-cam and BRCW set. At least that what intended, the eight car ran backwards hitting the wall. Flicked the switch and it ran the right way, unbeknown to me the last coach was derailed when it met the wall. I stopped the train when I realised. Walked over to put on the track and behind me was BANG as the 5 car set crashed into bits of modelling I had not cleared from the track. 

I will now try and run another two.......

Hi Clive,

Not so much driving the track as yourself crackers ?

Gibbo.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

A Stanier class 4 tank on the front of the parcels to Manchester do look good now it has stopped derailing owing to sections not being switches on and the trains stopping suddenly. 

I couldn't even manage to move a light engine from platform 8 to the diesel stabling point. I switched all the sections to controller two, opened it up a little and CRASH. An Ivatt  class 4 2-6-0 goes tender first into the turntable pit. It was un-isolated and the section switch for the steam depot was on. 

The layout worked lovely. Only one rolling stock problem, the coupling between the Derby/BRCW 2 car unit kept uncoupling. Hopefully bending the trailer car coupling down a tad will prevent this from happening.  

I am not going to list all the errors by the fat bald bloke....he claims he is tired so not concentrating properly. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Hi, Clive

Re your unfortunate crashes, have you thought about maybe applying reminder appliances to section switches once occupied, to prevent you from inadvertently switching back on sections that are occupied by stock that you don't want to move?

Steve

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, stevea said:

Hi, Clive

Re your unfortunate crashes, have you thought about maybe applying reminder appliances to section switches once occupied, to prevent you from inadvertently switching back on sections that are occupied by stock that you don't want to move?

Steve

Hi Steve

I have some simple rules, once a train has departed or arrived all sections switches should be turned off and all main line points reset for main line running. Now I don't think that is too hard to follow, unless you happen to be the person who designed the control panel and made up the rules. What I didn't factor in was my inability to concentrate.

• Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Steve

I have some simple rules, once a train has departed or arrived all sections switches should be turned off and all main line points reset for main line running. Now I don't think that is too hard to follow, unless you happen to be the person who designed the control panel and made up the rules. What I didn't factor in was my inability to concentrate.

Clive, I have some Bi Coloured LED's, (FREE to you), if that would help, simply wire into the switch and insert next to it on you Magic Panel.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi, Clive

The aforementioned reminders are useful bits of kit which if used according to the (amended?) rules  certainly eliminate the distraction factor. How's the Swindon Inter-City progressing, by the way? I like the idea of the smaller HO side windows...

Regards

Steve

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Clive, I have some Bi Coloured LED's, (FREE to you), if that would help, simply wire into the switch and insert next to it on you Magic Panel.

Thanks Andy

I know what will happen I will ignore them, like I do the slide switch next to the dial switch placed along the coloured line representing the section of track. I know the real answer is a kick up the backside of the fat bald bloke when he is not concentrating.

You see I can easily be distracted

• Friendly/supportive 1