BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

17 hours ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

Is the Greggs cup a permanent  fixture as it was there on Saturday AM, or was it refreshed ?

Next project for the layout - install coffee cup holders....

16 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

It looks exceedingly calm...

Usually at least someone has their hands in the air about something!

Luke

Usually when someone just knocked a full coffee cup over.... 🙄🤦‍♂️😉😂😂

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Having spoken to everyone involved with our visit to the Taunton show, I can now claim that it was our most successful /enjoyable exhibition so far. The EM has told me that we came 2nd or 3rd in the public vote - and with 35 layouts to chose from, that's not too bad. 😊

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Having spoken to everyone involved with our visit to the Taunton show, I can now claim that it was our most successful /enjoyable exhibition so far. The EM has told me that we came 2nd or 3rd in the public vote - and with 35 layouts to chose from, that's not too bad. 😊

Which layout came first?

Luke

With just over three weeks to go before our next exhibition (Warley) I find myself surprisingly relaxed - so relaxed in fact that I am taking a holiday for two weeks. 🙂

Taunton was our most relaxed exhibition so far and, because we were relaxed,  we were able to quietly analyse our few outstanding issues - all of which I have managed to address in the last ten days.

Everything we learnt at Taunton about getting the layout up and running as soon as possible has been incorporated into updated and expanded crib sheets which now cover everything from how best to pack/unpack the van, how to set things out in the hall once we arrive, what jobs to tackle first, how to lay the stock out etc etc - all designed to get the layout up and running as quickly as possible and hence getting us in the pub as quickly as possible!

In that context, I must thank all members of my Taunton Team for the fantastic job they did, especially as three out of the five had never operated the layout at a show before - and one of them (Mark) had never even seen the layout before! So, thank you Iain, Mark, Neal and Peter, not forgetting my long time helper, Gordon.

I now have an expanded pool of operators spread around the country and I must also thank them for all their help over the years - Bob, Kev, Alan, Luke and especially Al Turner who has not only helped at exhibitions but who has made major contributions to the layout with such things as the superb 3D printed signals which really enhanced the layout at Taunton.

So, I head off on my travels confident that when I return we will be ready to carry on where we left off at Taunton. ONWARDS AND UPWARDS! (or words to that effect!) 😉

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

On 31/10/2023 at 07:14, TEAMYAKIMA said:

With just over three weeks to go before our next exhibition (Warley) I find myself surprisingly relaxed - so relaxed in fact that I am taking a holiday for two weeks. 🙂

Really would like to see Beijiao at Warley, as its quite a few years since I last saw it in the flesh. Can't deny though, I am wrestling with the cost (I'm retired in mid-Wales now), especially as I will (hopefully) already have just been to the IPMS Scale ModelWorld event (Telford), two weeks before.

Steve N

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, steveNCB7754 said:

Really would like to see Beijiao at Warley, as its quite a few years since I last saw it in the flesh. Can't deny though, I am wrestling with the cost (I'm retired in mid-Wales now), especially as I will (hopefully) already have just been to the IPMS Scale ModelWorld event (Telford), two weeks before.

Steve N

We're at the Manchester Model Railway Exhibition 9th & 10th December, if that is any better?

Luke

On 31/10/2023 at 07:14, TEAMYAKIMA said:

get the layout up and running as quickly as possible and hence getting us in the pub as quickly as possible!

I dunno why you don't just ditch the hassle of the layout and concentrate on the more important business of drinkening....

87b51b82b4a92054d0daa8e40c01ce83.jpeg.c0140f384b1ecccd11ef43cea6d9301e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I dunno why you don't just ditch the hassle of the layout and concentrate on the more important business of drinkening....

87b51b82b4a92054d0daa8e40c01ce83.jpeg.c0140f384b1ecccd11ef43cea6d9301e.jpeg

Spoken like a seasoned operator of the layout. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 01/11/2023 at 18:39, F-UnitMad said:

I dunno why you don't just ditch the hassle of the layout and concentrate on the more important business of drinking....

I put quite a bit of effort into that too.🤫

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

On 01/11/2023 at 20:07, luke_stevens said:

We're at the Manchester Model Railway Exhibition 9th & 10th December, if that is any better?

Luke

Hmm, its about the same distance and cheaper to get in (so there's a saving there). On the other hand, Warley is obviously a much bigger event, perhaps justifying the cost. Still not sure (I suspect it will be a last minute decision for me, as always). 

Steve N

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from Argentina now and gradually recovering from 40 hours with less than one hour's sleep - just can't sleep on planes! 

TBH I have enjoyed being able to concentrate on other things and not have to think about the layout 24/7. 

There are three relatively minor issues to deal with on the layout and then we pack it all up on Thursday and head off to the NEC. 

But for the moment my priorities are an Indian takeaway, some red wine and an early night. 

As a clue as to why I enjoyed the trip so much, a bottle of house red wine in a 5 star Buenos Aires hotel was just under £8 - need I say more? 

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I'm back from Argentina now and gradually recovering from 40 hours with less than one hour's sleep - just can't sleep on planes! 

TBH I have enjoyed being able to concentrate on other things and not have to think about the layout 24/7. 

There are three relatively minor issues to deal with on the layout and then we pack it all up on Thursday and head off to the NEC. 

But for the moment my priorities are an Indian takeaway, some red wine and an early night. 

As a clue as to why I enjoyed the trip so much, a bottle of house red wine in a 5 star Buenos Aires hotel was just under £8 - need I say more? 

Pleased to have you back in one piece...

Try and maintain the post-holiday relaxed vibe!

Luke

2 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Pleased to have you back in one piece...

Yes I am pleased to say that I am in one piece and totally uneffected by my recent experience although some of my fellow travellers did suffer broken bones and cuts and bruises. 

IMG_20231114_214514.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Friendly/supportive 13

15 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Yes I am pleased to say that I am in one piece and totally uneffected by my recent experience although some of my fellow travellers did suffer broken bones and cuts and bruises. 

IMG_20231114_214514.jpg

Sad news all around obviously, but 'Strong winds dislodged a section of track...'.    Err, so just how strong are the winds there?

Steve N

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, steveNCB7754 said:

Sad news all around obviously, but 'Strong winds dislodged a section of track...'.    Err, so just how strong are the winds there?

Yes, I think excessive rain is the more likely contributing issue. there had been very heavy rain two weeks before we arrived there.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

We had a 'session' yesterday and now all the layout is set out in the garage ready to be packed in the van tomorrow lunchtime.

If you're reading this and will be going to the Warley show, please do come and say 'hello' and don't worry if, at the time, I'm looking very stressed or running around like a headless chicken - those are my default settings - just come and introduce yourself as I probably will be the 'front-of-house' man interacting with visitors.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

44 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Tomorrow lunchtime? I thought today is Wednesday, or have I slept an entire day?

Apologies, I had not fully explained the scenario. As usual, me not being a driver has caused an issue. The van is actually coming from Haywards Heath and collecting the layout tomorrow at about 2pm in Watford and then overnighting in Leighton Buzzard. I will join it at 9.30am for the journey to the NEC.

If I had known back in 1970 (when I turned 17) what I know now, I would have learnt to drive - 😧

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4