BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

9 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

here is a 'then' and 'now' comparison between our first exhibition (Bristol 2018) and one of our last (Keighley June 2023)

The 2023 version certainly 'pops' doesn't it!! 👍👍👍

10 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I don't think I've posted this comparison before on RMweb, not on this thread anyway, but here is a 'then' and 'now' comparison between our first exhibition (Bristol 2018) and one of our last (Keighley June 2023)

<snip>

It looks so much better now! Much more detail, much better background (good work Gordon!) and much better lighting rig!

May there be many more improvement and many more exhibitions :)

Luke

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

A few days ago I posted a then and now set of photos to show the physical differences in the layout between our first show (2018) and our current position, but the changes don't stop there. 

As we have gained experience and confidence we can now confidently look forward to putting on a five star 'performance' at future exhibitions. Yes, in the past, we had usually managed to put a good show for viewers, but often only because the operators have been busily dealing with issues behind the scenes - I genuinely think those days are behind us now. As the state of 'normal' operation has improved, we have had the opportunity to quietly and calmly investigate a few on-going niggles and I think we have finally cracked all of these now - at least all the ones we know about!😉

So, we approach our next show, Abingdon, with a real sense of anticipation. We have worked out (in theory) some new operational protocols which we hope will guarantee the best possible spectacle for viewers without sending the operating team crazy. What's more we will be set up in a separate room all by ourselves which will guarantee less background noise and so our sound equipped steam locos will, for once, sound as good at an exhibition as they do in my shed 🙂

I do hope that some of you reading this will come and see us at Abingdon, it's the club's 50th anniversary show and their first ever two-dayer. Even if you've seen us before, I think we will have some new things to show you - here's hoping!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thought I would share some of my photos from the Alton 2024 show. Mostly lots of close-ups, showing off Paul's hard work with the details.

20240204_094110.jpg.80d227f8254eeb1c4c1eb4398c7d83e1.jpg

20240204_093956.jpg.997a9c0b87c191279f04b21b8939c0f8.jpg

20240204_094016.jpg.353734e8f2e99d2fa51cce0f11e8d98c.jpg

20240204_094037.jpg.12446557da1b46d675c34dd2b3cb4e14.jpg

20240204_094101.jpg.33649cda1392284b1bef04a8a046afab.jpg

20240204_094143.jpg.1499f2b424c8e341dae05c184d4785c2.jpg

20240204_094158.jpg.704050e4d848fb5ae06f813e6077a566.jpg

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

More photos from the Alton 2024 show.

20240204_094214.jpg.4482f2397cb952f78d66079744948556.jpg

20240204_094229.jpg.4d5177f8f2f9d3c1d8445e3a53c6e468.jpg

20240204_094310.jpg.a6483146012d3e0dcf8bb396f9ff4595.jpg

20240204_094329.jpg.35946585bdd8b92b27366bb5704559a5.jpg  20240204_094339.jpg.5247095c0fa62b155f023bcfa7b84092.jpg  20240204_094353.jpg.a72a642014ca9dd24e3291dd34510b21.jpg

20240204_094408.jpg.cd0b912a662c0e7623139e531ec1c6b7.jpg

20240204_094426.jpg.87e549901f0a817f11b3abd6fa6fecdc.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

We have just returned from the fantastic Abingdon & District MRC's 50th anniversary exhibition - it was an honour to be invited to such a great show.

We trialled several new ideas including an enhanced lighting rig. We are able to make several adjustments to the colour balance and intensity of these new lights and here is a photo which tries to show the combination we finalised on. In fact, as we were in a separate classroom by ourselves, we turned off the main room lights and merely had our own lights on. 

IMG_20240303_153050.jpg.1193167a5782bfc6ed0482d9896c94a5.jpg

It's not a great photo, but it gives you an idea of how it looked. 

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I just want to congratulate @TEAMYAKIMA over their awesome layout, far, far better than I expected and pleased to see the large crowds around it.  I especially enjoyed the animation of Paul jumping out of a taxi to take a photograph.  I've included a few photographs of the layout.

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

<snip> In fact, as we were in a separate classroom by ourselves, we turned off the main room lights and merely had our own lights on. <snip>

Not sure you'll be able to do that at many shows! But maybe a drape / canopy over the visual parts of the layout to control external light? It worked for Dave Rowe.

Luke

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, luke_stevens said:

Not sure you'll be able to do that at many shows! But maybe a drape / canopy over the visual parts of the layout to control external light? It worked for Dave Rowe.

Luke

That  would be hard for the operators to see/co-ordinate things - especially on the branch.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

We have just returned from the fantastic Abingdon & District MRC's 50th anniversary exhibition - it was an honour to be invited to such a great show.

We trialled several new ideas including an enhanced lighting rig. We are able to make several adjustments to the colour balance and intensity of these new lights and here is a photo which tries to show the combination we finalised on. In fact, as we were in a separate classroom by ourselves, we turned off the main room lights and merely had our own lights on. 

IMG_20240303_153050.jpg.1193167a5782bfc6ed0482d9896c94a5.jpg

It's not a great photo, but 

I didnt get chance to watch the layout but each time that I walked past the glass partition along the corridor the lighting did look superb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SHMD said:

That  would be hard for the operators to see/co-ordinate things - especially on the branch.

On the branch I can understand, but for the China main and the bidirectional the trains are fire-and-forget. Once a train is away I can't see it until it pokes its head through the endplates or rounds the bend at the far end.

Luke

• RMweb Gold

Provided it was mounted above the lighting gallows and end plates, it would not be a problem to the Industrial branch operator, but it would be more to transport, set up and break down, and there's plenty of that already.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)

We feature in Dawn Quest's video of the Abingdon show and it includes a shot of one of the new features we trialled at the show - a smoking QJ which runs light engine tender first. It's heading from the MPD (off to the r/h side of the layout) to couple up to a freight in the yard (off to the left of the layout). We stop it at a signal and it waits a few seconds before setting off again - this is because the smoke effect is most impressive when the loco starts off. See us from 13.40.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5

Very nice video.

Interesting how much better the video is without the background noise! At exhibition the other punters & layouts don't distract, but in a video they do! I would have liked it a bit longer  but it is the best I've seen so far :)

Luke

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Neils WRX said:

I remember suggesting simulated signal checks in Glasgow and several pages ago on this thread :-)

43 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

I tried to suggest that before we had signals in the pre-covid era...

Well................................

In my defence I must say that until recently there wasn't much available to fulfil those suggestions 

Working colour light signals would have been a nice feature, but this was all that what was (and is) available 

s-l300.webp.6391560017d2bd021800b8b49f7c79c1.webp        s-l500.png.b74edaf6fe811fdb789e177c4c937c4f.png

Then some kits did appear, but they were poor quality and very generic

signal2.jpg.8411a23a5c998891e53a4a8cf8e6022c.jpg

It was only when Nui Models (Al Turner) took on the signals as a bespoke 3D printing project that having signals on the layout became a realistic (in both senses of the word) option.

Each of these six signals was custom designed for specific positions on the layout........................

received_570198911961630.jpeg

Without Al's amazing research and technical drawing skills, I doubt if we would ever have had signals on the layout - maybe a man with red and green flags might have worked :-)

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Well................................

In my defence I must say that until recently there wasn't much available to fulfil those suggestions 

Working colour light signals would have been a nice feature, but this was all that what was (and is) available 

s-l300.webp.6391560017d2bd021800b8b49f7c79c1.webp        s-l500.png.b74edaf6fe811fdb789e177c4c937c4f.png

Then some kits did appear, but they were poor quality and very generic

It was only when Nui Models (Al Turner) took on the signals as a bespoke 3D printing project that having signals on the layout became a realistic (in both senses of the word) option.

Each of these six signals was custom designed for specific positions on the layout........................

received_570198911961630.jpeg

There were some other more realistic ones out there but there weren't all the types you needed and at €25 a signal they were rather expensive...

IMG_5476_1596-930x750.jpg.104323dfd0ac08f5a9cbd74d73c58d02.jpg

https://miniaturmodelle.net/en/1:87-h0/led-signals

And, to be honest, we have enough to worry about without trying to interlock the signal operation!

Luke 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have been quietly working on some relatively minor issues which came to light at the Abingdon show and some longer term issues which we are finally able to deal with. 

Consequently, I am pondering a (rather anal) issue which I've had at the back of my mind for some time. Should the layout attempt to be be 100% accurate or should the layout have some 'artistic license'? And if so, how much? 

I'm mainly thinking of the choice of locomotives. The first priority has always been reliability and that has largely now been achieved with the large range of locos in my collection. Let's face it, by 2001 the vast majority of China Rail trains were hauled by green DF4B's and yet I have tried to vary things by including locos which you MIGHT have seen in 2001, rather than locos you were likely to see in 2001. 

Having thought about it, I think I will tip the balance slightly more to what you would have definitely seen in 2001 rather than what you might have seen if you were very lucky. The change won't be great, let's say from 60/40 to 70/30.  I'll simply prioritise the usual and keep the unusual in reserve if things go wrong or just to spice things up. 

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

21 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I have been quietly working on some relatively minor issues which came to light at the Abingdon show and some longer term issues which we are finally able to deal with. 

Consequently, I am pondering a (rather anal) issue which I've had at the back of my mind for some time. Should the layout attempt to be be 100% accurate or should the layout have some 'artistic license'? And if so, how much? 

I'm mainly thinking of the choice of locomotives. The first priority has always been reliability and that has largely now been achieved with the large range of locos in my collection. Let's face it, by 2001 the vast majority of China Rail trains were hauled by green DF4B's and yet I have tried to vary things by including locos which you MIGHT have seen in 2001, rather than locos you were likely to see in 2001. 

Having thought about it, I think I will tip the balance slightly more to what you would have definitely seen in 2001 rather than what you might have seen if you were very lucky. The change won't be great, let's say from 60/40 to 70/30.  I'll simply prioritise the usual and keep the unusual in reserve if things go wrong or just to spice things up. 

12 hours ago, ColinK said:

Go for variety, that will keep more people interested.

Your layout is set in China! I doubt that many of The Elucidated Brethren of the Counted Rivet will be informed enough to take you to task over your choice of locos. Indulge yourself.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CameronL said:

Your layout is set in China! I doubt that many of The Elucidated Brethren of the Counted Rivet will be informed enough to take you to task over your choice of locos. Indulge yourself.

Double headed QJs on a passenger train😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 15/03/2024 at 23:25, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I know very little about the detail of Chinese railways therefore to me if the outline of what I see matches my limited knowledge the variety option is best. As @CameronL says above most people won’t know. Perhaps add into the show guide blurb, .. and features rolling stock you might have seen if you had visited China in 2001. You can get away with things an equivalent modeller of a UK layout attempting accuracy can’t because of the comparatively limited audience knowledge. 

There are two approaches by modellers within the hobby towards divergence from modelling place X exactly at period dd/mm/yyyy - (1) those who know what it should be and, for whatever reason, relax things (your might be seen approach) and (2) those who either haven’t yet learnt enough to avoid howlers and mismatches or don’t care because they just like running trains of any make/format. The small local show scene across the country has a lot of type (2)s, which is still a good thing because they are doing some modelling.

Edited by john new
Typo correction
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

If I was saying this next bit, rather than writing it, I would say it in a very quiet voice, because I have said things like this in the past - only to be proved wrong! 😐

As I write this my hands are trembling, but nevertheless I going to be bold (wreckless) and say that, after six years of trying, I have finally got the level crossing to work properly!

IMG_20240318_101959.jpg.72c1a0d097887b8c7f74f81626c4fe15.jpg

This was always supposed to be one of the layout's real "WOW!" moments. There is a working Faller roadway system along the front of the layout and I can divert a car or minibus over the level crossing for the amusement of viewers and, more importantly, if the barriers are down the van stops automatically and then sets off again once the train has passed and the barriers are up again.

That was the theory at least - in six years and various exhibitions it has never operated reliably, but now I think I've finally cracked it! The reality was that there were at least FOUR separate 'issues' which were causing the level crossing to misbehave and this morning I have finally sorted the last one. Originally, we used IRDOT's to message the module which controls the level crossing and when I replaced them with reed switches several exhibitions ago I thought that would solve the problem, but it didn't.

Having dealt with three of the problems over the last year or so, the last problem seemed to be the power and the length of the magnets I fixed under the rolling stock.  There are two reed switches, one either side of the level crossing and some magnets would work over one reed switch, but not the other and on further analysis this week I concluded that sometimes it could be the speed of the train as it ran over the reed switch which might be part of the problem.

SOLUTION - replace all the magnets with more powerful and longer ones i.e. the longer the magnet is, the longer the time is that the reed switch is active and so, the longer the electrical pulse is that goes into the electronic module. 

IMG_20240318_102154.jpg.1b385b3bd697e2121fdb580129de6211.jpg

RESULT - on test in my shed this morning - 100% reliability!  But, I have often found that things which work well in my shed when I have just two or three boards up, don't always work when I have all 12 boards up in exhibition conditions.

At our next show we will see if my optimism is justified!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2