BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

That makes sense. I think that with backscenes you have to make a choice. Either an extension of the scene, in other words buildings, trees, clouds and so on, in which case you face the challenges Steve mentions (not least horizons - there's one well-known layout where the sea level on the backscene is probably 50m higher than the land on the layout). The second choice is to regard the backscene as a frame, with no attempt to include any suggestion of what lies beyond the edge of the 3D area.

Paul would be able to answer better but it is as much to do with eye level. He suffers from being about 8" taller than I am and this has caused issues in the past where operators haven't been able to use the Industrial line as the couldn't see over the backscene (we didn't fancy spending 8hr on tip toes...) The layout is best viewed from scale person eye level, so about 20mm above baseboard level. If we assume, inspired from the various photos, that the horizon is obscured by "things" such as other buildings, features, distant hills, clouds, choking industrial smog, etc, then we could have a slowly rising effective horizon for each further distant line. That would be fine for ground level viewing and would be "ok" for standing viewing too.

Thoughts for after the Glasgow Exhibition!

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens
spelling...
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Thank you for that comment. Hopefully you might come to Aly Paly in March when it will be even better. 

5A4E4FE4-8BA1-4908-9CC1-0F87A30E5513.jpeg.5b318177cd316c8a54ff78e35f24bd16.jpegD841BB2A-0CBE-49DF-99BB-672F9AC8937A.jpeg.cc65148978449fa38b31809409aef106.jpeg88F85599-58B9-4CD8-B95C-40D105F7C973.jpeg.072a6e7b57dd42ac48df2056531ad486.jpeg

I bought a bunch of China outline locos back then, unfortunately my QJ mazak rotted but my Df4d, DF11s, DF7, ND2 all go well.

I didnt get to Sandoling unfortunately.

i’ll look you guys up at Ally Pally.

A10D9AF0-7D68-4D4C-BCCF-C3EBC39DD6A4.jpeg

19748C7F-8861-4BAF-91D0-FAEE386D2504.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The better memories you have are the ones the camera misses…

I recall occasions in Shanghai, where cyclist couriers took the world on their bike, literally. Several times I tried and missed grabbing a picture of a guy on a bike, with what seems like 8-10ft high stacks of cardboard boxes, tied down on the back of the bike, creating a pillar like load as high as any loaded truck… Ive no idea how they didn't unbalance and fall over when he stopped.. assuming he did stop.

Kind of like this…

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2010/09/chinas-overloaded-bicycle-carriers.html

but usually less glamours brown cardboard boxes (3rd one down).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

There's good news and bad news as regards getting the layout ready for Glasgow in just over a week.

GOOD NEWS - I am busy correcting/fixing/repairing a fault which would have caused problems at Glasgow

BAD NEWS - I didn't know we had this fault until 30 minutes ago!

It's a feature which I/we installed over five years ago, but have never used at exhibitions, which is the same as saying that we've never used it - PERIOD! It wouldn't have stopped the layout running, but it would have impacted on one of our new features/gimmicks. 

More later with photos.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 15/02/2022 at 14:40, TEAMYAKIMA said:

More later with photos.

The fact that it's taken three days to get back to this tells you a bit about me life at the moment.

One of our 'new' USP's is the Faller roadway - remember that it has been in place for over 5 years but we have never used it at a show due to several 'problems' - not any more, I had tested it and tested it and tested it at home and achieved 100% reliability - until this week!

A big feature of the layout is that it represents me and some of my fellow operators visiting China to photo graph the last working steam in the world and to get from location to location we hired minibuses - and we now have three of them.

#IMG_20220217_193736.jpg.7fe116f10f83f1f2869ebf726dbcc171.jpg

There is a main road that runs along the front of the layout and there is a narrow windy single track road which goes over the level crossing and then runs close to the railway - and only the minibuses use that narrow road. That narrow road has to rejoin the main road at a junction and I had tested the first two minibuses over that a thousand times and it was 100% reliable , but this week I completed making the third vehicle and tested that one as every vehicle has slightly different characteristics - and disaster!   i tested it ten times and on the tenth occasion it twitched as it approached the junction and carried straight on and I only just caught it before it landed on the floor.

286846684_InkedIMG_20220218_085035_LI(2).jpg.a8e20ffd8c8d5699bbfa3731401360cc.jpg

I tested it another twenty times and it did that three times - what was going on?

More later - back to the layout now.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Magnet losing contact with the guide wire at a critical moment?

Yes, I discovered what the problem was and corrected it 3 days ago, just am too busy at the moment to post about it - will explain later

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

May all go as planned, your vehicles stay on the road, the gates close as they should, your points throw when asked, your consists stay consisted, your trucks keep on tracking and, most importantly, the operators have a good time :)

Is that a variation on The Shepard's Prayer (Alan Shepard, that is)?

• Funny 2

On 24/02/2022 at 19:53, luke_stevens said:

Dear Beijiao team,

May all go as planned, your vehicles stay on the road, the gates close as they should, your points throw when asked, your consists stay consisted, your trucks keep on tracking and, most importantly, the operators have a good time :)

Luke 

Don't forget  "May the shadows of the rivet counters never fall upon your tracks "

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

I don’t normally post pictures of other peoples layouts, however I was one of the operators on this brilliant layout at Model Railway Scotland over the weekend so here are a couple of pictures and a quick video.

I will still confess to knowing very little about Chinese railways but this layout was great fun to operate especially the bidirectional line at the front of the layout.

The most nerve racking bit was watching a train go on to the scenic section and waiting for it to reappear at the other end of scenic bit hopefully with all its wagons still attached.

Beijiao - Model Rail Scotland

When the overhead lights went out…

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

I don’t normally post pictures of other peoples layouts, however I was one of the operators on this brilliant layout at Model Railway Scotland over the weekend so here are a couple of pictures and a quick video.

I will still confess to knowing very little about Chinese railways but this layout was great fun to operate especially the bidirectional line at the front of the layout.

It was a great pleasure working with Neil at the Glasgow show. We had never met Neil before Friday and he quickly learnt the Digitrax system and our operating methods. 

Neil is always welcome to join us any time.

• Like 4