BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

All joking aside, the existing operating team is now only five strong and we need six to operate the layout successfully - seven is even better!

Moreover, that operating team is based in Watford (me), Barnet, Croydon, Carshalton and Coventry. So, you can see that the logistics of getting a team to any given show are daunting.

Ideally, I/we need a pool of  9/10 operators who can be in/out depending on where the next exhibition is being held.

After Bristol we will need to review all future exhibition invites - and let's not forget that we're all getting older!

So, wherever you live (in the UK!) there is scope for you to join the team and be part of the exhibition experience. I would hate to have to take the layout off the circuit due to lack of operators.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

Given how big RMweb is, and how easy it is to miss stuff, I would suggest you start a new Thread with the request for more operators in the title.

The lack of response so far (guilty as charged) indicates those who regularly follow this thread aren't in a position to help. A new thread might help spread information about the layout further too.

I'm not sure which Section you'd put tge request in, though.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Prior to 2019, I had attended nearly every Bristol show for the preceding 20+ years, this was before I retired and moved to Mid-Wales.  For all those years, it was an ideal show for me, as I could visit on the Friday afternoon, on my way up to Mid-Wales from Dorset where I lived then. Now I am retired though (and especially in the current financial climate), I am seriously debating whether I can justify going at all.  So apologies for not volunteering, as you obviously need someone who can commit to a significant time investment. Hopefully I will convince myself it is a good idea, if so, look forward to seeing you all (and the layout of course) in the flesh.  👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steveNCB7754 said:

Prior to 2019, I had attended nearly every Bristol show for the preceding 20+ years, this was before I retired and moved to Mid-Wales.  For all those years, it was an ideal show for me, as I could visit on the Friday afternoon, on my way up to Mid-Wales from Dorset where I lived then. Now I am retired though (and especially in the current financial climate), I am seriously debating whether I can justify going at all.  So apologies for not volunteering, as you obviously need someone who can commit to a significant time investment. Hopefully I will convince myself it is a good idea, if so, look forward to seeing you all (and the layout of course) in the flesh.  👍

Hello Steve

I know that we have spoken on the phone in the past - and you bought a loco off me - and so there is a spare hotel bed for you on Friday and/or Saturday if you want to take up the offer.

2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Given how big RMweb is, and how easy it is to miss stuff, I would suggest you start a new Thread with the request for more operators in the title.

The lack of response so far (guilty as charged) indicates those who regularly follow this thread aren't in a position to help. A new thread might help spread information about the layout further too.

I'm not sure which Section you'd put the request in, though.

THBH I have started threads like that on other forums - ones where I don't have a layout thread. There has been a deafening silence. Maybe I can use that new video as a a 'marketing tool' - I'll try it.

• Like 1

As the layout is getting progressively more reliable, we can now turn our attention to making the operation more realistic and more eye-catching.

To begin with we will be starting this process at Bristol with the industrial system as this has always been very reliable with very few 'issues'. In consultation with Gordon (industrial sub-team leader) we will be making some changes to the way the industrial is operated.

The sub-team of Gordon and Richard are now so experienced at operating the industrial that we feel that either one of those two can operate the industrial by themselves. It will be intense, but it will allow a 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off rota and so overall will be more relaxing.

Changes to operation will be that the industrial passenger will change from a downhill train to an uphill train. 'So what?' you ask.

The team like consistency. With the passenger train as a downhill, it had to use the passenger platform (road 1) at the back of the layout and so, for consistency, all downhill trains used the platform road. This meant that uphill trains had to use road 3. However, road 3 does not give access to the water columns and it would seem logical that an uphill train would want to take on water. So, now with the passenger as an uphill, all uphill trains will have access to the water columns. Moreover, we usually had a parked train in road 4 which tended to block the view of the banked uphill train on road 3. With the banked train departing from road 1 it will give viewers a far better view of the action.

IMG_20220415_085557.jpg.78b8372bd48e4afde700866cbc1f5b93.jpg

The original banked coal train consisted of 11 identical black American style 3 bay hoppers just in fake Chinese livery ( the very early Bachmann Chinese wagons were merely their basic American range re-lettered). All the decaling and running numbers were the same. I have deliberately mixed up the new rake of genuine Chinese coal hoppers with as much variety as possible, different liveries and different levels of weathering - there is even a very heavily weathered blue C70 hopper just behind the loco - the place it will get most attention from viewers.

Lastly, we are planning to try running the downhill trains straight through on road 3 without stopping as we think this will be more interesting for viewers.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2022 at 19:32, Enterprisingwestern said:

Not even via Alicante?!!

Poor show, wouldn't have minded a hydraulic powered aeroplane ride.

Mike.

Probably cheaper to do that air route detour than buy a turn up and go fare on the modern railway.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/04/2022 at 08:22, TEAMYAKIMA said:

All joking aside, the existing operating team is now only five strong and we need six to operate the layout successfully - seven is even better!

Moreover, that operating team is based in Watford (me), Barnet, Croydon, Carshalton and Coventry. So, you can see that the logistics of getting a team to any given show are daunting.

Ideally, I/we need a pool of  9/10 operators who can be in/out depending on where the next exhibition is being held.

After Bristol we will need to review all future exhibition invites - and let's not forget that we're all getting older!

So, wherever you live (in the UK!) there is scope for you to join the team and be part of the exhibition experience. I would hate to have to take the layout off the circuit due to lack of operators.

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the late reply, (I was in Nantes and then Milan, for the last three weeks), but I can "join the team" occasionally if you wish.

I live 10 miles east of Manchester and could attend events in the English central region of Birmingham to Newcastle and Bangor to Hull.

The only proviso is that I would need a minimum of 6 weeks notice! (I have Germany, Greece, Paris, Holland, Germany, Wales, Italy, plus others(!) coming up {all for work} in the next few months, and would have to schedule my itinerary around the exhibition dates.)

Kev

• Thanks 1

On 15/04/2022 at 14:21, SHMD said:

Hi Paul,

I live 10 miles east of Manchester and could attend events in the English central region of Birmingham to Newcastle and Bangor to Hull.

The only proviso is that I would need a minimum of 6 weeks notice! (I have Germany, Greece, Paris, Holland, Germany, Wales, Italy, plus others(!) coming up {all for work} in the next few months, and would have to schedule my itinerary around the exhibition dates.)

Kev

Hello Kev

Many thanks for that offer. We are due to attend the Manchester show in 2023 and so that's a definite  - and more than 6 weeks notice!

My team are going to review everything after Bristol in two weeks and see exactly where we are with regards invitations and so I'll know more after that.

Our next definite invite is Taunton this October - anyone out there live near Taunton?

• Like 1

This tank car (and its six siblings) was removed from the layout at Aly Paly as it was considered totally unreliable - a total liability.

IMG_20220417_163537.jpg.3d0f4e88460fa6c01dbd91c3c9470318.jpg

If I was to reveal on RMweb how much time, how much effort and how much cost I have spent since then to get it back to being a reliable piece of rolling stock fit for purpose, my team would have me sectioned under the mental health act.

In fact, TBH, if I was to add up how much time, effort and cost I've spent on that tank car to make it fit for purpose, I think I would have myself sectioned under the mental health act!

Only six more to do before Bristol!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm pleased to report that we have now got a sixth operator  for Bristol, but we still have one more vacancy for a guest operator - if nothing else we'll need someone to go and get the teas and coffees!

Joking aside, now that we have the Faller roadway fully working, a seventh team member on hand to spread the load would be a great bonus, allowing team members to have a look around the show. If nothing else, being a guest operator gets you into the show for free and there's lunch thrown in as well!

So, don't be shy - why not give it a try - what have you got to lose?

• Friendly/supportive 1

Today I have been packing up a load of rolling stock I've been selling on ebay - still some left if you look for it.

I have already shown that I have replaced the black 3 bay hoppers with a mixed rake of C64 gondolas and now my attention has turned to replacing the rake of Bachmann (US style) gondolas with coiled steel loads.

The problem with the coiled steel downhill train was that, to the casual observer, it was identical to the uphill scrap train which also used the Bachmann US style gondolas. I decided to keep the uphill scrap train and replace the downhill train. These side tippers are very noticeably different to the Bachmann gondolas and so add some variety - especially when loaded!

IMG_20220420_183338.jpg.88c2846b0a9a138aa1c60bb03f6e39b2.jpg

And, 'YES!' it would look better if it was on the track!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

I've said on many occasions that there is a lot more than just modelling needed to make a successful exhibition layout and here is an example.

Operating the layout for 7/8 hours a day is tiring, especially if you're not in the first flush of youth.

My team requested stools to sit on whilst operating - no problem. Or rather, there was a problem - the height of the backscene.

I ordered the highest stools I could find on ebay, but they still weren't tall enough for operators of average height - like Gordon.

So, Gordon came to the rescue and he made a raised plinth to sit the stool on - job done. 

Here's Gordon giving it a test drive .......................

IMG_20220423_112323.jpg.6fb9d90b54cc6aacfc513856d7a12d7e.jpg

• Like 4