RMweb

Great Western Covered Footbridge Kit

I have been asked by others if I would consider a 7mm version. It is quite possible, although I would have to adjust some parts to make sure it scales properly. I think I will get the 4mm version sorted first and see how it goes. I would need four new tools for a 7mm version, so I would need to be confident that I don't end up out of pocket on it.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Hi Mark,

I know it's early days and I hope you do not mind but I have put up a link to your build topic from down in the 7mm section just so they can see how well this footbridge is coming together. Hopefully it will generate enough interest to make it possible for us chaps to maybe one day build one in 7mm :paint: .

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent the last few sessions working on the second staircase and made a start on some of the details. The photo's show various bits being assembled and then the key sub assemblies balanced together, or temporarily stuck with Pritt Stick to hold in position. Another few sessions and I can start soldering together all the main components.

The jig is for forming the stiffening braces that go under the main span and the image shows the tags that locate the bar for forming the bend followed by the web of the brace and the locating slots.

The valences have some beams to go between them and the frame which holds them further out than they are on the photo's, but these can't really go on until the structure is fully soldered together.

So far I have not come across any major issues with it.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

post-67-0-75398900-1407788392_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-52648300-1407788454_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-32985000-1407788497_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-00467500-1407788557_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-28364000-1407788620_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Best start saving up for one, as the price tag ain't exactly going to be cheap!!

...which reminds me that when Peter K (or was it Kemilway?) released an all-etched GW footbridge kit some decades ago, the asking price was about 30 quid. It's still in the Peter K list at 125 quid, though good luck with trying to order one, given the ancedotes about the near-lifetime waits for kits to be delivered!

...which reminds me that when Peter K (or was it Kemilway?) released an all-etched GW footbridge kit some decades ago, the asking price was about 30 quid. It's still in the Peter K list at 125 quid, though good luck with trying to order one, given the ancedotes about the near-lifetime waits for kits to be delivered!

Peter K in the earlier lattice style, reviewed in model railway journal No 40 by Guy Williams.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments guys. Not posted anything for a few weeks due to work commitments. I have done a fair bit now and have got the main superstructure soldered together now. I have also added the smoke deflectors and a few other small details.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

post-67-0-77409500-1409520752_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-11712700-1409520794_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-61153700-1409520822_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-07798100-1409520866_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-49788200-1409520913_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Looks fantastic Mark - it looks like it would be a simple matter to add some glazing to it if needed, as per the footbridge at Truro. What a lovely model - beautifully executed too.

Edit : it's just occured to me that the support legs could be 'boxed in' as per the footbridge at St.Austell!

Edited by Rugd1022

Wow! Incredible work. For your next challenge you should model the footbridge that linked Gloucester's Eastgate and Central stations! That was a beast.

How about the bridge at Lydney Junction?

Funnily enough the next job is to put the windows on the back of the bridge, hopefully this evening. They are etched as part of the kit, but only for one side since Brent only had them on the West side. The legs were enclosed on the bridge at Brent but this was removed sometime in the 30's. I have drawings for the panels, but I haven't included them in the kit. That is the reason the diagonal braces are only fitted to 3 sides of the support tower, because the entrance was under the bridge.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I am hoping to have this built in time for Scaleforum.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• Like 1

Thanks Mike. Did the 45xx beading work?

Today I have finished glazing the west side of the bridge and the photos show the steps to get there. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. The only serious issue is I don't think the frames are high enough, but the concept works, so it should be a simple mod.

The first images are of the inner and outer parts of the frame being assembled and then  a piece of clear plastic frosted with a glass fibre brush is slid between the frames. The images on the bridge show all the windows loosely positioned.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

post-67-0-38256700-1409774456_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-19694600-1409774502_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-61620800-1409774541_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-51567200-1409774565_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-47185100-1409774586_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-28497500-1409774622_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mark

The beading worked really well. I am waiting for some decent air vents for the tanks to roll off a lathe somewhere in Gloucestershire. I'll bring it with me to Aylesbury and you can judge for yourself. Really looking forward to seeing this. Where will you be?

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...