Simon Says

JohnR

Those Class 395 Javelin-thingies?

Pendolinos?

So apart from the BILs, HALs, VEPs, 395 Javelin-thingies and Pendolinos...

...And 465s...

... So apart from the BILs, HALs, VEPs, 395 Javelin-thingies, Pendolinos and 465s...

...And 5BELs...

... So apart from the BILs, HALs, VEPs, 395 Javelin-thingies, Pendolinos, 465s and 5BELs when are Hornby ever going to get around to giving us EMUs eh?

• RMweb Premium

One of the really great steps forward over the last decade or so has been the emergence of RTR third rail EMU models. For so long the elephant in the room in that despite being the trains which operated the most intensive, busiest passenger operations in the UK they were all but ignored in RTR model form we now have some splendid models. The Bachmann 4CEP remains the best in my opinion with the 2EPB and 5BEL superb. The 2HAL and 2BIL are very good models and design clever worked very well on them I think, the curates egg is the 4VEP. The 4VEP is not as bad as some make out in my view and it remains a nice model which I am pleased to own but there is no doubt it could and should have been better. Given that the 395 was designed to appeal to both the trainset/railroad and main ranges I think that one is a very good model too. Long may the models of third rail EMU trains continue.

• RMweb Gold

Not at all.

I won't buy any, though, because I live in South East London and I'm trying to model the units I grew up and lived with, so I'm only after Southern (and their successors) units, but I'll support anyone who wants them made. Of course, the Tyneside 2EPB-alike units that moved to the Southern when the Tyneside electrification was abolished would be a good idea, especially if they were made available in both varieties, but I suppose they would be Bachmann's to make, seeing as they do the ordinary 2EPB (and I wish they'd do the BR 4EPB to go with them).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

But the biggest compromises are surely flange sizes and (partly as a consequence) back to back.

And once you start the compromises start to flood in.

A bigger flange means you cannot get the correct sized wheels close enough to one another,

so you reduce the size of the wheel

But this means the running plate and everything above is now too low, so you have to increase the frame depth.

The angle between cylinders and drive wheels is now not correct because the centre of the drive wheel is too low

and so it goes.

That is why P87 was "invented" - which is essentially P4 at 1:87 scale instead of 1:76.

While I am firmly in the market for Southern EMUs, there is certainly plenty of scope for EMUs from other regions and railway companies. Thinking in terms of what is already available and what components would be re-usable in alternative units, Bachmann's 2 EPBs pave the way for other BR standard suburban units of 2, 3 or 4 cars, such as some of those Darrel listed, although classes 302 and 307 would seem to be obvious candidates, with classes 304, 305 and 308, plus 504 also possible using the same underframes as their basis, with suitable separately added details. Some of those could also share body mouldings. The South Tyneside EPBs mentioned by Budgie also fall into this list.

BR standard 4 EPBs and 2 HAP/SAP/4 CAP units follow also from the Bachmann tooling, as do possibly class 309 units using 4 CEP underframes and mechanisms. Bachmann logically should do the 4 BEP, while either Bachmann or Hornby could use their underframes and motors for 4 CIG/BIG units and 4 REP and TC units.

But let's give them time to settle things down before asking for too many more units, much as I would love a Bulleid 4 SUB or EPB unit myself.

TT is a non-starter in 2015.

I started with Tri-ang TT back in 1958, and apart from a few BEC & GEM kits, you had the fantastic choice of around a dozen locos & 1 DMU. Yes you got a lot of layout  compared to OO, but boy was I glad to pack it all away in 1972 when we moved house and start again in OO (later O as well) - I never looked back, my TT stuff was just about all worn out anyway.

No, we are" stuck" with OO (as a SCALE). There is to much "inertia" - too many people have too much invested in OO, you, me, the manufacturers, the suppliers etc.

I think the best that could happen is to "EM" everything, at least make the provision to re-gauge / fit new/ adjust wheels to locos and stock. Perhaps fine scale too. Then we need a good range of EM track and point work, Peco of course, Code 75 or thereabouts, with correct sleeper spacing this time. Models could be supplied "EM" ready, or either OO / EM convertible.

Just my thoughts. I will be sticking to OO.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Never mind all those 3rd rail southern things what about some 25kv EMUs class 303,305,308,309,310,312,313,314,315,317,318,319,320,321,322,etc

I agree. Let's start with classes 375 and 377.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

New topic today on Chinese manufacturing, including production slots, volumes, and affordability. There's nothing too specific, but it should interest some.  East goes West!

The remarks about having to plan production schedules in much more detail are very telling.

It occurs that, in order to ensure we are "purchase ready" and don't miss out when new items arrive, we end users need to develop similar preparatory habits.

The much derided gaps between announcement and availability when instant gratification is regarded as the norm may be an irritant but they haven't, at least for me, been a bad thing. Hornby recently went three or four years without making any locos I wanted (though they were still making coaches and NPCCS that appealed) but I carried on setting cash aside for larger model railway purchases. 

This year I am expecting to buy 5 or 6 Hornby locos (plus two Radials, the source of which I have yet to make my mind up about) and have the funds in hand. The same applies to the Kernow ex-LSWR items in the offing, and a Dapol O gauge Terrier. By the time the Heljan 1366 and  47xx, Bachmann's "Beachy Head", the DJM/Hattons 14xx, and the Kernow diesels turn up, I should be ready for them, too.

John

• RMweb Premium

Another terrific blog from Simon. Going from very personal reflections on aspects of the hobby in his last few blogs to a down to earth explanation of production. I think what he say's in this blog will not be particularly revelatory to most on this board but it needs to be said as there are still a lot of comments on the subject which do not really appreciate these issues. Interestingly he does not offer moving towards pre-order and production to pre-orders (a la Rapido) as an option for Hornby (and no doubt others) struggling to balance meeting demand whilst avoiding being left with unsold inventory. His comments on China and improving their product is interesting and needs to be said as I find that often in the old developed world there is a rather unpleasant strain of dismissing Chinese manufacture as cheap muck and an assumption that the West is better when in reality in large sectors of the industrial economy China and some other Asian economies have a much more highly skilled workforce and it is our countries that would struggle to try and produce the sort of products we take for granted now.

• 2 weeks later...

New post today called "We all make Mistakes!" I think will interest some and perhaps not amuse others - the new Star model features in it.

Where I will agree with Mr. Kohler is that we all certainly do make mistakes. Having said that, it is not whether we make mistakes, but how we own up to our mistakes that we are measured by others and how we react to those who, in perfect candor and without malice, point them out.

An interesting and honest account proving once-and-for-all that with the best of intentions, we are all fallible and equally so prone to the fallibilities of others. I have great sympathy for the author who, clearly, shouldered the brickbats with some stoicism.

Tony

Archived