RMweb

How Many Hornby A4's Have You Got

Mike70

4488 looks good, but historically incorrect yes. Hornby would do well to produce another wartime black version, possibly with a corridor tender.

Hilux - yes an error to get rid of it, especially given the decline in quality of recent A4 issues... (Hornby are you listening??? take a look at your cab roof tool condition please!)

On an unrelated note, is it too much to ask that one of the preserved A4s appear in wartime black. I was hoping that Bittern would have been repainted for its final few months operating off the ML.

One painted in Apple Green would look nice,perhaps Hornby might reconsider bringing an up to date model in that livery,here's hoping.

Converterd Newton using a modified GBL Tender body.

Looks great Mick. What's with the curious painted tender wheels, three rims in white? I take it that with your usual attention to detail this must be prototypical?

The nameplates look very good, low relief clearly visible. I would hazard a guess that those can only be of 247 developments origin.

Nick

Another one for Hornby, post war blue please.I know no.34 Lord Farringdon was done in a train pack quite some time ago being non Dcc ready and tender driven.Surely there would be a demand for this livery?

Also Bachmann,where are the new Thompsons?

Swiss2908 is that a repaint? Who did it?... I'm pondering 4498 in 1990s garter blue condition...

Looks great Mick. What's with the curious painted tender wheels, three rims in white? I take it that with your usual attention to detail this must be prototypical?

The nameplates look very good, low relief clearly visible. I would hazard a guess that those can only be of 247 developments origin.

Nick

Mixture of wheels some silver and one weathered, now all Casey blued and sorted thanks. Nameplates are indeed by 247 my normal supplier they are best price and quality IMHO.

If Hornby produced 60034 Lord Faringdon Apple Green or L N E R Green I would

make that 5 A4s in my collection. Don`t know what Peregrine 4903 would think though LOL.

Probably wondering how its escaped from a repaint to Garter Blue  in the mid 1930's  !!

60021 'WILD SWAN' converted from 'KINGFISHER' 'RARE BIRD' B J FREEMAN COLLECTION.Renamed and renumbered by TMC.

Congratulations Hornby for answering my prayers for a Green A4, only small gripe is they won't be available separately so as to convert one to a black front end, my favourite 'SEA EAGLE'.

post-21464-0-10301800-1448567158_thumb.jpg

post-21464-0-76853500-1448567183_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Golden Eagle is now with us. Interestingly the tender interior is painted blue unlike the previous BR blue releases. I know it's only a small point, but is that right, or should the tender top all be black? I'd be interested to hear any insights :-)

When you say interior do you mean inside where in real life the water was held? If so then probably a dark rusty brown or a bituminous black. But if you mean the coal space and the space behind it where a fireman would put the bag in from the water column then that would have been usually painted black. I have a Hornby Coronation R2206 and the it was all blue other than the fake non removable coal. But if it worries you so much you can paint it to whatever colour you desire. If it happens to be the wrong shade there's no need to worry you won't be hung by the rope from a tree.

• Like 1