RMweb

Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

Anyone still after some 90s ? TMC have a few sound fitted variants in their sale which has further 15% off until midnight tonight. Once code is entered the price drops to around £225 which I thought pretty good price sound fitted. I might have accidentally bought another one… I think they have most variants of latest batch at that price.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just found myself adopting a NEW member to the DB90 stable at Johnson Street IEMD, having wandered round the Stafford show without seeing anything which really tickled me, aside maybe Preston Model railway's OLE layout - thank you to the gentleman who gave 90030 a run around, light engine, and also the Locomotion Stand where the Bill' exclusive (90028 in DB Cargo red, named Sir William McAlpine) was also on show ... however it was something slightly different which caught my eye - and all will be revealed in due course once a certain weathering and renumbering expert has worked his magic. My question is, do the new batch of 90s have to use the newer Bachmann 90 dcc chip ?

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD

4 hours ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

. My question is, do the new batch of 90s have to use the newer Bachmann 90 dcc chip ?

I believe they do. However it was suggested both are essentially the same chip with slightly different settings so should be possible to reprogram the older chip to work newer models. I have noticed a lot of confusion amongst retailers on this issue with many not aware of the two chip “variants”

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Matt said:

However it was suggested both are essentially the same chip with slightly different settings

It might not be. I think they swapped from Zimo to ESU with the sound so maybe they also swapped the non sound decoders.

But it is just settings regardless of that, I use ESU LokPilots in mine and to get things right for my newer ones I just needed to do some experimenting ( I posted the settings earlier in this thread)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can anybody help with timelines.

Looking to get the 90026 in mainline livery but not sure whst year it would have first appeared and whether it would be out of place with hornbys upcoming 87006 large logo, the executive livery 87009, heljans upcoming mainline livery "The Kingsman" and Bachmanns 85026 in BR blue?  

9 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

Can anybody help with timelines.

Looking to get the 90026 in mainline livery but not sure whst year it would have first appeared and whether it would be out of place with hornbys upcoming 87006 large logo, the executive livery 87009, heljans upcoming mainline livery "The Kingsman" and Bachmanns 85026 in BR blue?  

90026 entered service on 20 March 1989 and would have started its career in mainline livery, being designated a mixed-traffic member for the fleet. The Class 90s were intended to replace the remaining Class 81s and 85s; 85026 was withdrawn on 4 May 1990 so there is an overlap of a year between the two.

I don't have exact livery dates for 87006, 87009 or the Heljan 86 417 'The KIngsman'. However I'm as certain as I can be that 87006 was no longer in the livery that Hornby will be making it in by 1989; it is depicted in a early (c1983) version of large logo crossed with InterCity executive. In the case of 87009 or 86417 examples could still be seen in that livery in the late 1980s but whether either of these actually retained it into 1989 I don't know.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

90026 entered service on 20 March 1989 and would have started its career in mainline livery, being designated a mixed-traffic member for the fleet. The Class 90s were intended to replace the remaining Class 81s and 85s; 85026 was withdrawn on 4 May 1990 so there is an overlap of a year between the two.

I don't have exact livery dates for 87006, 87009 or the Heljan 86 417 'The KIngsman'. However I'm as certain as I can be that 87006 was no longer in the livery that Hornby will be making it in by 1989; it is depicted in a early (c1983) version of large logo crossed with InterCity executive. In the case of 87009 or 86417 examples could still be seen in that livery in the late 1980s but whether either of these actually retained it into 1989 I don't know.

87006 gained its unique livery during May 1984 and was repainted into the first version of Intercity Executive (with yellow cabsides and black BR logos) sometime between November 1984 and April 1985.

Depending on what Hornby turn up with 87009 looks like it was painted into Intercity Executive (2nd version) in Sept 1984 so must have been among the first recipients (but with the dark grey extended around the cab front and still black BR logo)

87009 1S57 0945 Euston - Glasgow Central at Euston 08.09.1984

I think the Hornby catalogue image had a white BR logo which was later (not that Hornby necessarily have a good track record for producing whats imagined in the catalogue). So the model is probably around 1986 to 1990 when it looks like it got Intercity Mainline livery with the full yellow front.

86417 must match around 1990 into Intercity Mainline from Intercity Executive (4th version - yellow cab fronts to the windscreens, grey/yellow cabsides and white BR logo) to 1994 into RES - but not sure on how they will be modelling the multiple working/TDM cables and whether that would narrow the date range down.

Edited by GordonC
  • Thanks 1

For completeness. 90026 was introduced in March 1989 renumbered to 90126 in July 1991 and had the eth isolated and would have lost the buffing plates, buckeye coupling and have been restricted to 75mph in a bid to keep it on freight trains. The buffers got changed for the oval type a lot later 

• Like 3

Yes, both class 90 and 91 were built just before full sectorisation so were designed around mixed traffic potential but within 2 years the move to dedicated allocations meant that this was actively discouraged. The mainline liveried ones were therefore very short lived in their original guise.

• Like 2

no thread drift from me.   blimey i was merely responding to another member who suggested they were their personal priority over more 90s.  was it really worth it?

this forum does have a select few that have that perfect knack of acting like ruddy headmasters lording it over their pupils maybe cus they cant get a proper job in the real world.  I and maybe others might pay up the £12 for full membership if it wasnt  so flippin petty.

Edited by ThaneofFife

35 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

no thread drift from me.   blimey i was merely responding to another member who suggested they were their personal priority over more 90s.  was it really worth it?

this forum does have a select few that have that perfect knack of acting like ruddy headmasters lording it over their pupils maybe cus they cant get a proper job in the real world.  I and maybe others might pay up the £12 for full membership if it wasnt  so flippin petty.

I wasn't trying to be petty.

Thread drift is real easy & there are many times I remember seeing something but I can't find it because it was in an unrelated thread & not even the search can find it either.

I want (need 😜) 86/2s for my layout too but anyone looking to see how much interest there is for them will be unlikely to browse through a class 90 thread to find out how much chatter there has been about them.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I would echo the call for a bit of generosity of spirit when trying to help. I must admit some trepidation when trying to help with the enquiry because, whilst I remember the crossover between 90s and withdrawal of the 81s/85s very well, I had a life and a family back then and don't have records stating the colour of the Guard's underpants on the 1746 off Euston on 23/08/89. So even though I think I can help, there's always the nervousness that someone will pile in a trash my efforts by 'proving' that an assertion is not correct.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I would echo the call for a bit of generosity of spirit when trying to help. I must admit some trepidation when trying to help with the enquiry because, whilst I remember the crossover between 90s and withdrawal of the 81s/85s very well, I had a life and a family back then and don't have records stating the colour of the Guard's underpants on the 1746 off Euston on 23/08/89. So even though I think I can help, there's always the nervousness that someone will pile in a trash my efforts by 'proving' that an assertion is not correct.

Hi Andyman. They were white.

• Funny 3

I have the Ian Allan locomotives coaching stock and multiple unit combined volume for 1989 so I can provide the livery of any of the AC Locos as at 1st January 1989 (including it they were still in traffic at that point). 

I cannot reproduce as it’s copyright but if you give me a few locos I’ll advise. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

Are you going to renumber the second and third into Multimodal and 90035 ?

Kat

Hi Kat,

My other two are Intercity and RFD, although 90037 does have her DB name 'Christine' applied;

197038509_PXL_20221127_161202215.NIGHT2.jpg.e692635ab574e79e80fd17e75d687b4a.jpg

PXL_20220318_004748922.NIGHT.jpg.5e6f9e4db715073f6625e42f5d9a9bd7.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 5