Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

Paul Cram - not all of us are blessed with the time (or are even interested in every model) to be familiar with every nuance including your scapegoat 101 :)

Thats a rather pinickity POV - no different to me saying you dont keep up with every nuance to your daily job, whatever that entails.

I suggest you try elsewhere if this is your level.

I wonder how much weight a manufacturer places on his pre-orders?

Just wondering if Bachmann look for pre order info and if the numbers are disappointingly low would they pull the plug?

I dare say that it may also come down to how far the project has got ie; maybe if tooling has been readied.

Could the 90 be canned if preorders look poor????

Edited by ThaneofFife

I intend to buy at least two of these (037, 042) and then maybe wait for other liveries (freightconnection pack would be very tempting). I am quite certain I'm not preordering at least for a few months to come.

If Bachmann judge viability of the model by preorders alone I'd say they'd lose quite a few bucks from me.

I very much doubt that a major manufacturer such as Bachmann would 'pull' a loco once announced ThaneofFife. People would tire of that approach very quickly.

For instance Bachmann continued with the LMS twins despite the Dapol model running in parallel with it.

What I am mindful of though, in light of the availability of some recent models (class 40, Polybulks for example) is if you want one, once released to 'buy them while they're hot' before they sell out.

• Like 1

Itll be interesting to see if dapols recently announced catenary additions are actually out there to buy.....ive still not seen any ep samples yet.

I heard about it when I joined RMweb a few months ago. Was pretty upset to learn that it was announced many years back and nothing has materialized out of it. It would be a great addition. If not I wouldn't mind compromising with Electrotren masts (albeit mounted a little higher for the height).

On second thoughts I thought scratch building would end up as my second option. I beams are available and so is metal wire and insulators.

I just hope that Bachmann have a look at the dark Falcon grey they use on the Intercity Swallow version. It looks a little light to me and more like the dark executive grey as used on the Intercity Executive when it should be different.

That has put me off buying the 47835/47834 models when the Heljan ones look closer to the livery. It would be a shame to affect sales of the Class 90 if the colour doesn't look right or to need to respray the dark grey and re-apply all the details and printing

I remember when the almost-new 90s were pulled out of service en masse due to technical issues. It even made Thames News or LWT News. I visited Willesden in the hope of getting to see them all but the depot managers never allowed spotters in. They did however print me off a list of all locos on shed. (Compare Willesden to Stewart's Lane where no such restrictions ever existed, despite the third rail.)

I loved the Mainline livery with its cast double arrows. It suited the 90s just as it did the 47s. The Intercity version was similar to what came with the 91 - lots of white. Was it a 90 in Mainline livery that was used on the BBC's Railwatch line up to unveil the new sectors - (Swallow) Intercity, Mainline, Departmental (grey) and Parcels (red pre-RES)?

• Like 3

A quick look at one of my old spotters books (spring 1990) and I see that I footplated 90028 at Manningtree station whilst it was on crew training.

That was before it became Vrachtverbinding, which makes me wonder- BCC model for 2016/17, a blue and yellow 90, or a red and white one? (90130 looked too similar to triple grey IMHO.)

One or the other would be on the cards, surely?

Apologies for the frothing!!

• Like 1

How long were the 87s running around for without yaw dampers?

Wondering/guessing if bachmanns planners bore the original 87 bogie in mind and tooled the 90 bogie with the damper but allowing themselves scope to tool a bogie without.....or am i being a bit "too" anal and wishy about an 87 now?

Where did i leave my coat :)

Even i probably agreed with others who said the 90 chassis will be good for updating with old lima or limby 87 bodies. On reflection and now that the initial thrill of the 90 announcement has settled i think it could be quite some time before i personally buy a class 90 just to use the bottom half on a lima bodyshell. Quite an expensive way of updating an old model that still wouldnt have fitted led lighting....... i can however definitely see projects going this direction x number of years after release of the 90 when prices are a bit more amenable to conversions......and thats assuming its an easy bodyswap which it probably isnt.

Fingers crossed that Bachmann in signing off the 90 already scoped out further development of its pioneer the 87.

What ought to be more straightforward is making a class 86/1 (87 test beds) with a Heljan class 86 body on the 90 chassis plus it is more likely to fit over it than older bodyshells.

Edited by ThaneofFife

I'd be surprised if a Class 87 didn't follow up the 90 if sales were ok and there were some common parts that could be re-used.

.... But feel free to get started on conversions and it might hurry a Class 87 up ... I always find as soon as I've finished a kit or a conversion then a RTR version gets announced! ;)

• Like 1

I have a sneaking suspicion this is a case of the fabled Bachmann-Grafar Shrink Ray being set to reverse, Graham Farish having had an 87 and 90 in their range which I suspect are overdue an upgrade, despite others claiming they never sell after they had plied the Bachmann sales director with malt whiskey to get the information out of him, so it wouldn't surprise me if the 87, especially with the NRM tie in, is already pencilled in for two years time.

Which leaves the 86....anyone wish to join me in looking at a kickstarter fund for an 86/0?

I have a sneaking suspicion this is a case of the fabled Bachmann-Grafar Shrink Ray being set to reverse, Graham Farish having had an 87 and 90 in their range which I suspect are overdue an upgrade, despite others claiming they never sell after they had plied the Bachmann sales director with malt whiskey to get the information out of him, so it wouldn't surprise me if the 87, especially with the NRM tie in, is already pencilled in for two years time.

Which leaves the 86....anyone wish to join me in looking at a kickstarter fund for an 86/0?

At this stage im certainly up for merely talking about it.the 86/0 kickstart that is.ive always been if the view that heljans 86 chassis was well executed and so to that end it would benefit from at least a new shell but using the same chassis.the bogies wouldnt match the 86/0 as the Heljan used a flexicoil base.

Frankly i wouldnt know where to start with a kickstarter project but who do you approach Heljan for a shell or somebody and you start from the ground up? If you do an 86/0 you might as well keep going if the bodyshell is spot on and be the producer of the definitive class 86 and do all the sub classe, pans, liveries, bogies etc. It would keep one tiny kickstart busy for years.....

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Agree 1

At this stage im certainly up for merely talking about it.the 86/0 kickstart that is.ive always been if the view that heljans 86 chassis was well executed and so to that end it would benefit from at least a new shell but using the same chassis.the bogies wouldnt match the 86/0 as the Heljan used a flexicoil base.

Frankly i wouldnt know where to start with a kickstarter project but who do you approach Heljan for a shell or somebody and you start from the ground up? If you do an 86/0 you might as well keep going if the bodyshell is spot on and be the producer of the definitive class 86 and do all the sub classe, pans, liveries, bogies etc. It would keep one tiny kickstart busy for years.....

I have a plan...I'll send you a PM

I appreciate the Hornby 90 is old but I always felt it never truly captured the light cluster. Much like Hornby's 466 Networker which also had something missing around the headlights. I guess we're a quarter of a century on (doesn't that make me feel old) and we can expect better from Bachmann.

As an aside, all this talk of the Class 90 introduction reminded me what an interesting era 1986-1994 was. Every fortnight as a child I'd pick up Rail or Motive Power Monthly to discover another new livery (freight, intercity, parcels, civil engineers) or countless one-off depot special (how did they get away with so many after the corporate blue era?!). The axe hung over several classes and then just as you thought it was all over for them they'd earn a reprieve. The future was coming (Crossrail and Thameslink a little further than hoped), new locos like the 90, 91 and 60 were settling in and the Channel Tunnel was being built. Meanwhile on the back page of Rail at least you could be promised three new liveries by Lima, many on some fairly recent models. Hornby might have had a few showpieces like the 90 and 91 but models and liveries were limited to a set few each year. With Lima it was like Christmas every fortnight. (Well until few years later when Father Lima stopped delivering!)

• Like 2

Go on, share the love. Lots of us on here would love to see some 86/0 action. I personally have all the bits, no time to build however. What's the plan Wombat man?

I've been looking at the Kickstarter  page to see if it might be a path to follow to bring an 86 to production, but there is quite a bit of work and research to do before anything serious can be put forward.  It's an idea at this stage.

• Like 1

For those looking for some useful bits of information and photos of the Class 90 issue no.210 of Modern Locomotives Illustrated is out in November this year.

It also covers the sole Class 89.

Edited by ThaneofFife