Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

I think it has been mentioned somewhere on this forum that while all the research has been done (not specifically on this model) there is a delay at the China end on turning the research package into the models. So in effect there is a queue of research packages waiting to be worked on in China. I don't know if this is related to factory capacity or workforce or both. Hopefully as the announcement for the 2016 range approaches we will hear where these models are up to.

I was told by another modeller that the class 90 was laser scanned some years ago but cannot validate if this info is true or not!

Mark

I don't mind how long it takes, as it will be years before I can build a layout with OHLE. I've got an 85 and its a fantastic model. Another way to look at this is save a pound a week and by the time of release you can buy the model you want and possibly even a sound decoder to add to it.

Mark

The delays have been disapointing and I know that some projects are easier to plan and develop than others, but it does seem as though its fine to criticise other companys but not Bachmann.

I am happy that atleast the Hornby model has more ore less the correct shape and also an excellent kit to detail it is available. Can still do it cheaper and quicker and also have that satisfaction of doing something too.

That one has caught my eye. In the last update I've seen, it hadn't even left the design studio - four years later. I think the prototype was designed in less time than that...

Paul

I am sure there is a reason for this. I remember when the first Class 150's was announced in 2006 and they didn't come out until mid 2009.

The delays have been disapointing and I know that some projects are easier to plan and develop than others, but it does seem as though its fine to criticise other companys but not Bachmann.

I remember when the Class 150's were first announced in 2006 and they didn't come out until 2009. Maybe they have issues with development of this locomotive. But I am happy to wait for a decent Class 90 model that has enough poke to pull a decent train and looks right. Rather than the model getting rushed out and being slapped for inaccuracies in the reviews online and by the model railway press. But to be honest though, any company should not be immune from criticism where it is warranted. But keeping on topic. I am sure the wait will be well worth it. People just need to be patient :).

Anyway it gives me longer time to save up and gorge on all three of them! :jester:.

whilst its true that some models can take a while, just for asking the question about the 90 i wouldnt slap you down and suggest you go set up your own model railway business to try and do any better. it might make the poster feel better about himself but frankly taking that approach is unrealistic and silly to be even suggested.  I dare say the poster knows this.

I do agree that the class 85 was about 2.5 to 3 years from first announcement to arrival.

I'm sure it'll come some day.  I'm also sure that:

1.  It'll be greeted by deafening indifference by a lot of RMweb members because it isn't a green kettle.

2.  The minute any start selling for less than RRP there will be a screaming chorus of "See? Electrics don't sell"

3.  That'll be followed swiftly for calls for Bachmann to stop making sales lemon electrics in favour of the Little Snoring and Twittershire 0-4-0 well tank in the one off lilac livery it carried in 1892 which is a guaranteed sales cert.

Just call me Mystic Wombat.

• Like 5

Bachy’s 350 is still hanging around. I’m mystified as to why because it is now comparatively cheap and is a beautiful model. Not only that but it has a very neat arrangement for the installation of a decoder and speaker to make the whole process easy. That’s not to mention a roof hatch concealing a switch for the cab light.

Andy York has said that electrics are steady rather than spectacular sellers.

:offtopic: A dark border has appeared around this post. I don’t know who is dead but my sympathy.

whilst its true that some models can take a while, just for asking the question about the 90 i wouldnt slap you down and suggest you go set up your own model railway business to try and do any better. it might make the poster feel better about himself but frankly taking that approach is unrealistic and silly to be even suggested.  I dare say the poster knows this.

I do agree that the class 85 was about 2.5 to 3 years from first announcement to arrival.

Is that 4 years now though since the class 90 was announced and its still under 'design'. It'll have a lot of stages to go through before we actually see any models so it would be nice just to see a bit of progress. I doubt we'll see any models before 2018

Is that 4 years now though since the class 90 was announced and its still under 'design'. It'll have a lot of stages to go through before we actually see any models so it would be nice just to see a bit of progress. I doubt we'll see any models before 2018

Was announced in 2014...So two years since announcement and no update since then. I believe the Class 158 was the one that is taking longer.

I'm surprised we have not seen much more for 2 years though. I was hoping that at warley there might of been something on the Bachmann stand at Warley but nothing. However I am sure that when it does appear it shall be well worth the wait and I shall be happy to part with some of the hard erned cash to add to the current Hornby collection I have.

• 2 weeks later...

I struggle to understand the benefit of working pantographs, if it looks right then I couldn't care less whether the power comes from rails or the overhead.

I'm sure it was mentioned in one of the magazine features recently where a club had found that when working with DCC and their electrics used overhead for power and commands that it was causing problems where the locos were presumably also getting the DCC commands through the rails and they ended up disabling the overhead because of it.

I struggle to understand the benefit of working pantographs, if it looks right then I couldn't care less whether the power comes from rails or the overhead.

I'm sure it was mentioned in one of the magazine features recently where a club had found that when working with DCC and their electrics used overhead for power and commands that it was causing problems where the locos were presumably also getting the DCC commands through the rails and they ended up disabling the overhead because of it.

You might struggle to understand, and not care, but some of us do!

There should be no insurmountable difficulties using DCC either. You just need to know what you are doing and design the system accordingly.

• Like 2

You might struggle to understand, and not care, but some of us do!

There should be no insurmountable difficulties using DCC either. You just need to know what you are doing and design the system accordingly.

Prices are getting steep enough without additional costs for things that cant be seen or have limited use

Prices are getting steep enough without additional costs for things that cant be seen or have limited use

And furthermore, there's only one contact point for the current to flow! I wonder how long the enjoyment of working catenary would last once the wire gets dirty and needs cleaning...somehow...

• RMweb Gold

And furthermore, there's only one contact point for the current to flow! I wonder how long the enjoyment of working catenary would last once the wire gets dirty and needs cleaning...somehow...

The action of the pan rubbing on the contact wire keeps it nice and clean. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it

Andi

• Like 3

Dear Mr. Bachmann,

Please let RealTrack or Dapol do the Class 158 and let either Hornby, OxfordRail or Dapol do the Class 90.

Bachmanns class 85 is by far the best electric and I think it will be well worth waiting for them to produce a quality model that will run well. Plus plenty of time to save up for one. Realtrack of course produce quality units and I'm sure we will see more of interest from Charlie and Arran in the future as time and capacity is available.

All the best

Mark

Bachmanns class 85 is by far the best electric and I think it will be well worth waiting for them to produce a quality model that will run well. Plus plenty of time to save up for one. Realtrack of course produce quality units and I'm sure we will see more of interest from Charlie and Arran in the future as time and capacity is available.

All the best

Mark

That doesn't mean Dapol or Hornby can't do a better job (not to mention quicker).