Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

im sure most folk dont need a crystal ball to know the Hornby 90 will be with us for a while as the Bachmann 90 has to be at least 18 months maybe 2-2.5 years away ala the class 85 turned out! BUT provided they are still shifting them.thats the caveat. otherwise if numbers of brand new 90s being sold/demanded is so low even before the Bachmann 90 arrives its almost not worth clogging up a valuable production slot to make more of the same.

Absolutely, I think the Hornby model will stay for a fair old while yet - look at their ex-Lima 66 for example, I do think that we'll just see some more new and exciting liveries from Hornby as they look to drive excitement from an otherwise obsolete model, whilst the Bachmann offering by comparison should be a higher-quality option but with a more staid variety of liveries for the time being - from what I've seen in my time it is very surprising how many people will purchase an older product in an attractive livery without worrying too much about the base model!

• Agree 1

Isn't it funny how the Hornby AC's appeared to be a dead duck in their present range, but with a better model on the horizon, there is some justification for them to continue being sold, and without the "waste of materials and manufacturing capacity" tag that the Limby Warship gained...? I doubt we'll see a situation where a certain retailer was selling Hornby 50's for only a few quid more than the 47, but buyer beware and the price differences between Hornby and Bachmann are more acceptable to some but not others. I also think that one area where Hornby have also missed the boat was on replacement quality chassis, as per those from Vi Trains that can be fitted in previous Lima models. But perhaps the average customer hasn't the will or ability to perform such a complex job as to undoing a screw and unclupping the old one, and putting the new one in.

I would refer the honourable gentleman towards the "Railroad" models that have high quality liveries such as Tornado, Duke of Gloucester, P2 etc.

Don't those models usually have simplified or inaccurate liveries that are cheaper to produce...? (although there's no doubt that the quality of the printing has never been better).

Most of my fleet retain the basic factory livery, but that was from 15-20 years ago and very few were brought new, you could get a pair from a swapmeet for £30 and later on Rails had three Virgin or RfD locos for £70. If I was still on my mission to model every loco, I'd be in the lookout for recent locos in other liveries, but wouldn't want to pay a massive collectors premium for a different finish on a plastic body.

Bachmann still have a way to go to beat the highest price I've seen for one, £212 on eBay for the ModelRail 90002. I got about half that when I sold one of mine to donate to the 89001 fund.

Don't those models usually have simplified or inaccurate liveries that are cheaper to produce...? (although there's no doubt that the quality of the printing has never been better).

Yup, those are the versions that are in the Railroad range. You'll note that they have full livery applications when the self same models are sold within the main range.

id have thought Jeremiah Bunyan who was always banging on about a newly tooled 90 would be all over this news like a rash.

if he doesnt already know then he will have a coronary when he finally gets wind

I think he already knows...

wonder how they will tackle the front skirt issue whilst giving the model an nem pocket?

hopefully if they are thinking ahead to using the bogies and chassis for an 87 the bogie frames have the facility for a pocket as i would think on the 90 the pocket might form part of the skirting maybe using the couplings found on some wagons that will allow it to negotiate tighter curves....

doubt very much they will look to follow hornbys split fairing and mount the coupling to the bogies....

wonder how they will tackle the front skirt issue whilst giving the model an nem pocket?

hopefully if they are thinking ahead to using the bogies and chassis for an 87 the bogie frames have the facility for a pocket as i would think on the 90 the pocket might form part of the skirting maybe using the couplings found on some wagons that will allow it to negotiate tighter curves....

doubt very much they will look to follow hornbys split fairing and mount the coupling to the bogies....

Something like the Dapol Western with interchangeable valences to replace the one with the big slot that the nem coupling will invariably need. Or just model a loco with the valence missing...

Hope they don't.

I'd rather have them have an interchanging valance. Something like Hornby has on their Class 60. Have one full piece and another one to accommodate the coupling. The customer will choose his or her's valance.

Though on a personal note I wish Bachmann don't fit drivers in the cabs and rather supply that for the customer to fit too.

I'd say they will probably just remove the skirt by default and you can add it if you wish. I usually add buffer details to the driver side and the coupler on the other.

I'm more interested how they'll tackle the problem with the bogie springs. The Heljan 86's ones look incredibly fake so I hope Bachmann will add real springs.

I'd say they will probably just remove the skirt by default and you can add it if you wish. I usually add buffer details to the driver side and the coupler on the other.

I'm more interested how they'll tackle the problem with the bogie springs. The Heljan 86's ones look incredibly fake so I hope Bachmann will add real springs.

With the skirt they will make it so it plugs into the nem pocket like how Hornby did the front bit on the sentinel shunter.

I think he means leading end  - i.e. the end with the driver, rather than the  drivers side. It does sound like he means only fitting details to the left of the drawhook and half a tension lock on the second mans side!!

edit - pipped to the post!

Edited by Titan

At least it will mean we finally have a 90 that is dimensionally correct. The old Hornby model was a almost right model with some minor diamensional errors and basic detailing. At least the cost should be kept in check not having too much separate parts to add. Although I do hope this comes with sprung buffer, as the chopped oleo's as used on this and a few other modern loco's would come in useful as a spare. I also hope it comes with different valences to fit, one with tension lock, the other without, and a buffer beam details for user to add if not using the tension lock.

• Agree 1

At least it will mean we finally have a 90 that is dimensionally correct. The old Hornby model was a almost right model with some minor diamensional errors and basic detailing. At least the cost should be kept in check not having too much separate parts to add. Although I do hope this comes with sprung buffer, as the chopped oleo's as used on this and a few other modern loco's would come in useful as a spare. I also hope it comes with different valences to fit, one with tension lock, the other without, and a buffer beam details for user to add if not using the tension lock.

You sure about that? Theie recent track record gives me no confidence.

Edit to correct grammar.

There you go Thanedofife is that clearer?

Edited by Paul Cram

No Paul no clearer other than reference to being dimensionally correct. the grammar i took as a minor slip up.good to see that some people do like to see who exactly has clicked on the various reply option boxes and sometimes guarantee a more personal reply.

id be grateful if you could elaborate on "recent track record". then it might be clearer.at least to me if nobody else.

Edited by ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold

At least the model 90 should be capable of moving without ripping its own tyres off unlike the 85. ;)

(The 85 is modelled with the brakes on, the 90 brake linkage is much less visible)

Andi

• RMweb Premium

At least it will mean we finally have a 90 that is dimensionally correct. The old Hornby model was a almost right model with some minor diamensional errors and basic detailing.

Until the model is produced (or CAD images/EP samples etc.), we cannot presume that it is dimensionaly correct and relatively error-free.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

oh right....ha....another detail that unless pointed out to me i honestly would never have spotted!

When you've scratchbuilt one you tend to notice things ;)

A