RMweb

Bachmann FFA/FGA early container flats

Andy Y

As a worst case solution to the weighting problem, load the internals of a 20 foot container with steel

Not really a solution at all. Freightliners often ran part empty, which would lead to poor running even with the coarsest of wheels due to balance. Let alone the need to run a rake of empties.

I eagerly await Bachmann's solution to the FFA/FGA, but I really should get building my Colin Craig kit.

Regards

Matt

Just hoping these will be shrunk for N-gauge. I note the original Farish interpretation has been dropped from the latest catalogue. Come on Mr Bachmann--you know it makes sense!

I sort of (selfishly) hope that they aren't!

There's a marvellous picture in Dr. Ian Allen's Diesels in East Anglia at Felixstowe in the early 70's. At that time 'liners for the docks had to reverse at Town Station, hence Cl.15 pilot and GFYE Cl.47s in-between the Cravens pax shuttle to Ipswich.

My only foray into n gauge was a couple of second hand points with a view to replicating the scene, decades ago now.

Availability of all this in RTR 'n' (15 excepted) would probably mean a second mortgage at today's prices!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

for all the talk of additional design resources being assigned to clear the Bachmann backlog, there doesn't seem to have been much visible movement of lots of the longer-term new models!

Perhaps but the results are bound to take some time to show. For my own part, I’m a little dismayed by the amount of desirable Bachmann stuff which is due within the next few months. Has anyone mentioned how expensive models have become recently? :swoon:

Most definitely agree, however due to the current exchange rate and yearly pay rises in China, more are most certainly in the pipeline. Looking around on the web though, I can find loads of bargains on items which have only been released in the past few months, the majority of these have 30% off RRP. Time to stock up I think.

• RMweb Gold

Does this all come down to price rises again? They were, so we were told, increased to cover rising costs. If these prices have caused punters to reduce their purchases, as I have, then there is a major consequence; less money for product development.

Griff

Has anyone mentioned how expensive models have become recently? :swoon:

Really? I hadn't noticed (any mention of it)  :no: 

But perhaps when they shrink them for N gauge they'll also somehow shrink the price. :jester: 

G.

It is dawning upon me that the day soon approaches where my excitement of Bachman's future product announcements, will be tempered by the acceptance of my own mortality.

In other words. I'm far more likely to be in my box before they get the new products in theirs.

• RMweb Gold

I know that I mentioned price but to be clear it wasn't a moan. It was a pragmatic commentary about some models, such as the container flat, that were announced at a very different time.

The economic landscape has changed considerably over the last couple of years and the business case is probably not as strong now as it was then. No rush then.

• RMweb Premium

As a worst case solution to the weighting  problem, load the internals of a 20 foot container with steel

The weight issue on these is easily rectified , do what all the American modal manufacturers do with 'skeletal' type freight wagons like these and make the frames out of cast metal  type material.

Bachmann already done this on their more modern container flat varieties anyway so this shouldn't be a problem.

• 2 months later...

It is dawning upon me that the day soon approaches where my excitement of Bachman's future product announcements, will be tempered by the acceptance of my own mortality.

In other words. I'm far more likely to be in my box before they get the new products in theirs.

Just had an e-mail detailing the price increases for these - sweet Jesus !!

Your funeral is likely to cost considerably less than a rake at that rate

Why is it that Dapol can still produce something like the China Clay tanks for £25-30 and yet Bachmann just seem to be doubling and trebling arbitrarily .............................

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

I don't know what the RRP will be but according to Hatton's website, it would set you back £212.34 to create a single set of 5 (3 FFA and 2 FGA).

Considering they would run in very long rakes of 3 sets or longer you would be looking at £637 to create something of a reasonable length.

Lets hope that Wild Boar Fell revisits his plans from 2014 to produce them.