Unidentified Location and/or Loco/Date - Modified Hall 7915 Added 26 September

...More like a 41XX / 51XX.

...The 41XX tanks included:- 4110, 4115, 4121, 4141, 4144, 4150, 4156, 4157, 4160, 4164 and the 51XX included:- 5164, 5182, 5193, 5199.

Ah, the wonders of GWR class naming. There is really no such thing as a 41XX or 51XX class. All those you list at Barry were members of the 5101 class (5101-10, 5150-99 and 4100-79), not to be confused with the 5100 (originally 3100) class (5100 and 5111-49).

Defo a 61xx

Do tell us how you identify the different steel used in the boiler plates of the 6100s from a photo :scratchhead:

Nick

• Like 1

Looks like a 61xx to me ;)  

Thats what I initially thought....  but as there were no 61xx locos at Barry in1966, I then thought its a 5101 class loco of which ten listed in the posts above were at Barry in 1966 (4156, 4157, 4164 and 5182 being cut up before 1966). I will have to try and eliminate them one by one by looking at photos on the web

Edited by Flamingo
  • Like 1

Thats what I initially thought....  but as there were no 61xx locos at Barry in1966, I then thought its a 5101 class loco of which ten listed in the posts above were at Barry in 1966 (4156, 4157, 4164 and 5182 being cut up before 1966). I will have to try and eliminate them one by one by looking at photos on the web

Checking out photos on the internet, it looks like it is 4141.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8755708@N07/6823915756/in/photostream/

Thanks all for your help...

Edited by Flamingo

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nidge

If so then its 6115 - the only one to find its way there see - http://www.railuk.info/steam/getscrap.php?id=111 - but as that was cut up April 65 - http://www.railuk.info/steam/getsteam.php?row_id=2898 then I suspect its a 41/51xx

See http://www.railuk.info/steam/barry_search.php and the list above for the choice!

Looks like you could light a fire in her and drive her off.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I am in the process of cataloguing my friends 1960s and 70s railway slides which are all mixed up. There are around 3,000 and its turning out to be a mammoth task. I think he must have emptied all his slide boxes in a heap then threw them up in the air!

Here is the first of many..  Class 47 1662 Isambard Kingdom Brunel approaching an undentified station. Can any of you experts help?

Howie

post-19218-0-13195400-1424518434.jpg

Edited by The Border Reiver
  • Like 3

I am in the process of cataloguing my friends 1960s and 70s railway slides which are all mixed up. There ar around 3,000 and its turning out to be a mammoth task. I think he must have emptied all his slide boxes in a heap then threw them up in the air!

Here is the first of many..  Class 47 1662 Isambard Kingdom Brunel approaching an undentified station. Can any of you experts help?

Howie

attachicon.gifZZ057_20150206_0043_640.jpg

Is that the western end of Reading station? The Fire Brigade training tower looks familiar.

• Like 1

Yes, that is definitely Reading.

And if you have 3000 of that period and that quality, then it is jackpot time.

I think D1662 was in that early BR livery between 1969 and 1973 which narrows down the date a bit.

Sorry, edited the dates, as my brain malfunctioned.

Edited by jonny777

Thank you for the location info Brian(s) and Jonny.

Yes, that is definitely Reading.

And if you have 3000 of that period and that quality, then it is jackpot time.

I think D1662 was in that early BR livery between 1969 and 1973 which narrows down the date a bit.

Sorry, edited the dates, as my brain malfunctioned.

Jonny. just double checked and there are 3,500 slides in total consisting of 20 different slide manufacturers, of which 5 are diferent Agfa types.

A good 75% of the slides are quite good quality, 20% are acceptable and the other 5% are basically too dark.

There are some later Agfa ones where the slide number and month/year are printed on the slides. The early cardboard Ilford and Kodak ones also have the month/year printed on the slides (1966 era).

As regards the rest I have to open each slide and note its frame numbers on the front of the slide, a very time consumning task indeed!

Its just the locations I need from the undated ones, the remainder I need location and approx dates.

Here is todays mystery location shot. Its of Brush Type 2 (as we used to call them) Class 31 No. 5527 in its original green livery with a Class 37 behind. The Nissen huts in the background may help with identifying the location. Date?

Howie

post-19218-0-33040900-1425033773.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you for the location info Brian(s) and Jonny.

Jonny. just double checked and there are 3,500 slides in total consisting of 20 different slide manufacturers, of which 5 are diferent Agfa types.

A good 75% of the slides are quite good quality, 20% are acceptable and the other 5% are basically too dark.

There are some later Agfa ones where the slide number and month/year are printed on the slides. The early cardboard Ilford and Kodak ones also have the month/year printed on the slides (1966 era).

As regards the rest I have to open each slide and note its frame numbers on the front of the slide, a very time consumning task indeed!

Its just the locations I need from the undated ones, the remainder I need location and approx dates.

Here is todays mystery location shot. Its of Brush Type 2 (as we used to call them) Class 31 No. 5527 in its original green livery with a Class 37 behind. The Nissen huts in the background may help with identifying the location. Date?

Howie

attachicon.gif5527_ZZ055_20150205_0072_640.jpg

No idea on location, but those aren't Nissen Huts; they're large fuel storage tanks with a low brick 'bund' around them. Given the number and size, it would appear to be a pretty big depot. The structure to the left and rear of the Brush reminds me of Gateshead, as do the flats, but I'm sure the fuel tanks there weren't that big.

• RMweb Gold

I am in the process of cataloguing my friends 1960s and 70s railway slides which are all mixed up. There are around 3,000 and its turning out to be a mammoth task. I think he must have emptied all his slide boxes in a heap then threw them up in the air!

Howie

attachicon.gifZZ057_20150206_0043_640.jpg

Reading, just coming off the Up Main Through Line onto the Up Main Platform Line (Platform 5 as it then was) at the west end of the station. State of the paintwork on the signals suggests late 1960s

Almost definitely Landore, though I'm trying to work out where exactly the loco was standing; I can't remember a siding or loop on the Hamilton Street side of the triangle. As to which loco it was.. Apparently, after the end of steam traction at Landore, two 57xx Panniers were based at Swansea High St for steam heating; initially, they ran under their own power from Llanelly shed, which had taken a lot of Landore's steam engines. Later, they were kept next to the old turntable on the line that ran from Swansea High St to the docks. There is a view of one loco, 3654, with a clearly-visible number, on page 341 of 'The Red Dragon..'. As no such number is visible in your photo, then it's probably the other one, 9609. These locos apparently lasted until 1966.

It may well be 9609 as I photographed this engine at Buttigeigs Scrapyard in Newport in Jan 1967.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/6318094170/in/photolist-

That tender was used as a 'load bank'; it had resistances in the former coal space, which would take the output of a diesel-electric loco. My recollection was that it would 'steam' heavily on cold days, so presumably it carried water to help with the heat dissipation from the resistance-banks.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Here is a named peak (I can't tell the difference between class 45 and 46) at Bristol, I presume in the 1970s.

Can anyone help identify which loco it is and a date?

I have researched the two line names peaks with a centre split headcode and have narrowed the list down to three locos (although I may be wrong):

45040    King's Shropshire Light Infantry
45043    The Kings Own Royal Border Regt
45104    The Royal Warwickshire Fusilier

looking at photos of three other peaks, their  nameplates did not look correct (here they are anyway):

46026    Leicestershire & Derbyshire Yeomanry
45137    The Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Regiment
45143    5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards

post-19218-0-45321500-1429966765_thumb.jpg

It's pre-1976 and quite early morning, judging by the shadows. Is that frost on the sleepers?

Personally, I would go with The Royal Warwickshire Fusilier.

The coach behind the loco appears to be a composite sleeper. What service was 1V56?

It's pre-1976 and quite early morning, judging by the shadows. Is that frost on the sleepers?

Personally, I would go with The Royal Warwickshire Fusilier.

The coach behind the loco appears to be a composite sleeper. What service was 1V56?

A 1976/77 WR WTT (section PD)  shows 1V56 as the 23.59 Glasgow Central - Bristol Temple Meads sleeper calling Bristol Parkway 08.32 - 08.34

cheers 

• Like 1

Oh, ok. Thanks.

I was really only looking at nameplate. There is a lot of wordage there.

But at least that narrows it down rather.

It could be 45043 - http://dieselimagegallery.com/gallery/45Names/45oo45/45043-2-S.jpg  the spacing of the words does look similar.

Edited by jonny777

I bought this slide on Ebay, along with others, some time ago.

Judging by the quality, I was convinced that it must be a commercial copy from Colour-Rail or equivalent.

However, the slide mount has no annotation, copyright, or any other markings on except for the number 7025. Not only that but the transparency seems to be encased between two very thin slivers of glass.

I have searched on the Colour-Rail site and cannot find a similar view; nor is this image in any of the colour album style books that I have in my collection, so I have no clues at to who the photographer was.

The Ebay seller said it was part of a collection he acquired in a house clearance sale, so that provided me with no further evidence. However, judging by the accumulated dust on the slide mounts, they must have been stored untouched for quite a long time.

Can any RMweb contributors shed any more light on this picture? I think it might be the western approach to Sonning Cutting, but am no expert on ex-GWR territory.

Edited; for poor spelling.

post-4474-0-39408100-1430585421_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777