Oops! When you press the shutter at the wrong moment

Peter Kazmierczak

With the slight delay between pressing the button on a digital camera and the picture actually being taken it is often hard to get the timing exactly right when taking a fast moving train. I have taken many which were either too early or too late. I normally delete them later but this is one I took a couple of days ago when a b****y car got in the way!

post-12623-0-32180600-1405189431_thumb.jpg

With the slight delay between pressing the button on a digital camera and the picture actually being taken it is often hard to get the timing exactly right when taking a fast moving train. I have taken many which were either too early or too late. I normally delete them later but this is one I took a couple of days ago when a b****y car got in the way!

attachicon.gifDSCF0251 (1024x768).jpg

Hi Howard,

Is that Rudesheim (am Rhine)?

I went there about 5 or 6 years ago and loved it and the area!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

That the eastward view from South Moreton these days ??..................Jeez :O

I think they might be the better positioned ones - further east some of the big tubes looked, albeit from a passing train, to have been put in almost if not actually foul of the structure gauge.  And here we go again with what presumably will be MkIII headspans on a 125 mph route where the wind tends to get up a bit - great design for reliability. 

Unfortunately I had to delete it to free up space on the memory card but whilst on a coach tour of Austria a few years ago, I attempted to photograph one of the mountains through the coach window and instead got a perfectly centred picture of a SPAR logo owing to one of their lorries passing the coach at the wrong moment! 

• RMweb Gold

I've taken well over 20,000 photos with my Nikon D80 and still get it wrong - and there is almost no shutter delay on a SLR once it has focused.  Taken earlier this month

Sometimes I think the overhead masts move!

post-5613-0-38802400-1405259868_thumb.jpg

Plawsworth 91113 down

David

Hi Howard,

Is that Rudesheim (am Rhine)?

I went there about 5 or 6 years ago and loved it and the area!

Cheers,

John E.

It is indeed, John. I've just returned from a short holiday beside the Rhine.

• 1 month later...

I think they might be the better positioned ones - further east some of the big tubes looked, albeit from a passing train, to have been put in almost if not actually foul of the structure gauge.  And here we go again with what presumably will be MkIII headspans on a 125 mph route where the wind tends to get up a bit - great design for reliability. 

Lessons have been learnt and headspans are almost a thing of the past. These are a new design range (Series 1) of portals where the masts fit through the boom, rather than the boom sitting on top of the masts. The extra tall masts are required to support the autotransformer feeders above the boom with sufficient clearance. This does mean that the overall height of the mast can be somewhat similar to what you would expect with headspans.

• RMweb Gold

So you carefully focus on Didcot Power Station, with a tripod etc. etc. , as soon as the light allows...taking a few shots like this to ensure the focus is good:

post-3251-0-50039200-1408962313_thumb.jpg

Then you locate the rapid shoot mode and engage.

Once the towers start to come down you reach press the shoot button taking a selection of shots of the big moment....whilst not using the view finder so you can witness, as well as record the moment...

post-3251-0-40701500-1408962512_thumb.jpg

post-3251-0-65449700-1408962590_thumb.jpg

post-3251-0-86916800-1408962614_thumb.jpg

post-3251-0-01457000-1408962686_thumb.jpg

post-3251-0-96551600-1408962709_thumb.jpg

Archived