Engine shed at platform side

Morning all

I've been spending some time planning and contemplating a layout using a modified peco plan and I'm thinking about possibly incorporating an engine shed. 

What I would like to know is has there been any instances of a shed being built right next to the platform at a small terminus I.E you could walk down the platform ramp and into the shed?

regards - LB 

You mean something like the GWR examples at Bodmin, Helston, and Launceston ? Or what about stations with a small shed opposite a single platform, with rail access off the run-round loop, like Ongar on the GER, and Seaton on the LSWR ?

• RMweb Premium

The engine shed at Kingsbridge was built butting up to the edge of the bay platform, although not on the side of the platform that passengers would have normally used. 

• RMweb Premium

Littlehampton engine shed, a small two road loco shed abuts platform 3 and is at the end of platform 4.  You can even go inside it as it is now a large waiting room and staff accommodation.

• RMweb Gold

Closer to the OP's home, Tunbridge Wells West, now home to the Spa Valley Railway, had/has a loco shed only one road away from the bay platform road, and adjoining a dock. Not much compromise there to meet his intended design.

• RMweb Gold

Hither green?

Yes, even if the station is a bit bigger (6 platforms) than the OP probably imagined. There was, maybe is, a gate just off the end of the platform into the shed area. 50+ years ago I used it to sneak round the shed and snatch numbers. 40 years ago I used it on my early-turn walk back from Hither Green to Grove Park via the yard......

You don't have to go very far to find a perfect example! Your local station, Hailsham, when it first opened, was a terminus of the line from Polegate, and immediately next to the station building was the engine shed, behind the single platform.  Sadly, although it was a substantially brick built structure, it didn't last too long, being surplus to requirements when the rest of the Cuckoo Line to Tunbridge Wells was opened.

You don't have to go very far to find a perfect example! Your local station, Hailsham, when it first opened, was a terminus of the line from Polegate, and immediately next to the station building was the engine shed, behind the single platform.  Sadly, although it was a substantially brick built structure, it didn't last too long, being surplus to requirements when the rest of the Cuckoo Line to Tunbridge Wells was opened.

I've got my vic mitchell book out and having a gander thanks :)

Another one to look at cold be Ryde St Johns Road. Although it's not now, when built it was a terminus with a Tramway running on to Ryde Pier.

Cambridge.

Hitchin.

Stewart

I have both these routes on TS2014 tis a good excuse to fire up the game :)

Archived