RMweb

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

I don't usually do lager in UK pubs, but.....

The Brewdog 'This IS Lager' currently on sale in 'spoons actually ain't bad.

Would never have tried it had the 'Real' beer in The Bear and Ragged Staff (Bedworth) not been up to much.

The 'Devil's Backbone' American Pale Ale weren't bad either.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Premium

The 'Devil's Backbone' American Pale Ale weren't bad either.

For me, the jury's still out on that one - it's a bit dear as our local 'spoons wants £3.25 a pint for it, and as it's only 5.2, seems a bit OTT (regular beers there are from £1.99 a pint for comparison.  I also found it a little thin and lacking in something - not sure what, though. 

For me, the jury's still out on that one - it's a bit dear as our local 'spoons wants £3.25 a pint for it, and as it's only 5.2, seems a bit OTT (regular beers there are from £1.99 a pint for comparison.  I also found it a little thin and lacking in something - not sure what, though. 

Yeah, strange pricing employed by Wetherspoons, presumably to reflect the perceived local 'wealth' ?

At Bedworth, it was on sale at £2.50 and the Brewdog was £2.20.

• RMweb Premium

At the Southampton branch of Asda the offer had started by last Saturday; I bought some Bass then and went back this week for 4 of the others. I don't have a car, otherwise I'd fill my boot, as it were. Another trip today I think.

In some supermarkets there is a limit to the number of offers that you can but at once - Morrisons alcohol offers all appear to be so - the wine offer of 6 bottles with a 25% discount is restricted to 24 bottles per customer.  I'm not sure on the beer offers, but I think that similar restrictions apply - though I think that if it's just a reduction in the price per bottle, as opposed to a "four for £x" that mignt not be true.

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, strange pricing employed by Wetherspoons, presumably to reflect the perceived local 'wealth' ?

At Bedworth, it was on sale at £2.50 and the Brewdog was £2.20.

The price I mentioned might only have applied initially, and it might have come down a bit now - we have two 'spoons locally, one being a "proper" JDW, and the other is a Lloyd's Bar - generally the latter comes in at a higher price for many lines (eg Tanqueray and tonic is £1.85 in one and £2.25 in the other) and often they have the same beers on (not often, though) at different prices per pint.   Seems to be that there is an odd pricing policy at work here.  The other odd thing is that the dearer one starts to serve alcohol an hour earlier - you can get a beer at 8 am if you want (never had, though) and the other starts at 9 - still too early for me.

ps Leopard - your Avatar shows a Western Scottish Alexander bodied Leyland Leopard, and the fleet no indicates that this bus was a Motherwell based vehicle.  Are you originally from that neck of the woods.  The highest Western fleet numbers in Leopards that I travelled in were in the KL2xxx range, though my school bus was one of the Daimler fleetlines - KR2113.  Took me years to work out how the fleet numbers were derived.

Edited by 45156

ps Leopard - your Avatar shows a Western Scottish Alexander bodied Leyland Leopard, and the fleet no indicates that this bus was a Motherwell based vehicle.  Are you originally from that neck of the woods.  The highest Western fleet numbers in Leopards that I travelled in were in the KL2xxx range, though my school bus was one of the Daimler fleetlines - KR2113.  Took me years to work out how the fleet numbers were derived.

Hi,

Not from the area; this is a vehicle I restored sometime ago - featured in Bus & Coach Preservation Jul2005.

The M actually signifies a vehicle allocated to Newton Mearns depot (later to become Thornliebank and both now defunct) I sold the vehicle on sometime ago and it was in use with a Class 6 (full passenger carrying ) MoT as a private hire business. Do a search for ML2341 or its reg No. RSD732J on flicker etc and you'll see lots of pics.

It was last operated (as a driver trainer) by Timeline Travel of Leigh (Lancs) where I learned to drive in it and subsequently bought it to restore.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Not from the area; this is a vehicle I restored sometime ago - featured in Bus & Coach Preservation Jul2005.

The M actually signifies a vehicle allocated to Newton Mearns depot (later to become Thornliebank and both now defunct) I sold the vehicle on sometime ago and it was in use with a Class 6 (full passenger carrying ) MoT as a private hire business. Do a search for ML2341 or its reg No. RSD732J on flicker etc and you'll see lots of pics.

It was last operated (as a driver trainer) by Timeline Travel of Leigh (Lancs) where I learned to drive in it and subsequently bought it to restore.

Andy

Cheers Andy - I should have remembered M as Mearns - don't know where Motherwell came into it so put it down to advancing years as I have lived away from the Western SMT area for over 40 years now.  They did have some cracking buses though, and some Leyland PD3s which could really shift in the hands of the right driver KD 1658 which was a PD3A/30 was one such and was pretty much a guarantee of an early arrival from school

Cheers Andy - I should have remembered M as Mearns - don't know where Motherwell came into it so put it down to advancing years as I have lived away from the Western SMT area for over 40 years now.  They did have some cracking buses though, and some Leyland PD3s which could really shift in the hands of the right driver KD 1658 which was a PD3A/30 was one such and was pretty much a guarantee of an early arrival from school

I've had 70 out of ML2341.............

Sorry All,

Topic drifted a bit there so I'd better say just how much I'm enjoying a bottle of Hopping Hare.

• RMweb Premium

I've had 70 out of ML2341.............

Sorry All,

Topic drifted a bit there so I'd better say just how much I'm enjoying a bottle of Hopping Hare.

Yes - these Leopards could shift - went to Edinburgh on one to a Ten Years After concert, from Kilmarnock and the driver really did wellie it, particularly on the return as he wanted home.

Now back on thread, folks with tales of beer - though the beer link on this bit could be that I had my first pint in a pub (Tenants Lager) in an Edinburgh pub on that very trip.  Tonight's delight is a can of Musgrave's Belgian Lager from the local paper shop.

Edited by 45156

Back in March 2010, I bought a case of 24 mixed beers from http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/. I decided it might be worth recording my opinions of them on a spreadsheet. Being a Somerset lad, I also included ciders. Today in Tesco I picked up number 1000. Jacobsen Saaz, 7.1% brewed by Carlsberg in Denmark and being knocked out at 89p. Still have about 15 to drink until that total reaches 1000. I have had some superb ones and also some I wouldn't recommend to someone I detest.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 2