RMweb

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Saw some Brewdog 5AM Red Ale in Tesco a couple of weeks ago and, it being one of the Brewdog brand that I hadn't tried, bought a couple.  Truly excellent.  So the following week I went back to get some a lot more but they'd sold out and I haven't seen it since.  I also tried some of Brewdog's Dead Pony Club, if only because I was intrigued by the name - fine, but not as good as the 5AM Red unless, of course, you happen to be particularly partial to Californian style IPAs.

I'll try Tesco and Asda tomorrow, but if neither have it It looks like I may have to get some more 5AM Red by mail order (5AM Red should not, incidentally, to be confused with the same company's 5AM Saint which appears to have been discontinued).

post-6160-0-33892500-1416179352.jpgpost-6160-0-04144300-1416179591.jpg

Saw some Brewdog 5AM Red Ale in Tesco a couple of weeks ago and, it being one of the Brewdog brand that I hadn't tried, bought a couple.  Truly excellent.  So the following week I went back to get some a lot more but they'd sold out and I haven't seen it since.  I also tried some of Brewdog's Dead Pony Club, if only because I was intrigued by the name - fine, but not as good as the 5AM Red unless, of course, you happen to be particularly partial to Californian style IPAs.

I'll try Tesco and Asda tomorrow, but if neither have it It looks like I may have to get some more 5AM Red by mail order (5AM Red should not, incidentally, to be confused with the same company's 5AM Saint which appears to have been discontinued).

attachicon.gifBrewdog-Red.jpgattachicon.gifDeadPonyClub.jpg

Brewdog have recenty changed their label styles, and slightly renamed some of the core range of beers including the two shown.

The new style bottle of 5AM Red Ale is simply 5AM Saint with the new label.

Dead Pony Club is shown in the old bottle, in future to be known as Dead Pony Pale Ale with the new style label...incredibly tasty for a low ABV brew too.

Hardcore IPA was the best Brewdog beer found in supermarkets, but at over 9% ABV I wasn't really surprised when its place on the shelves was taken by the less extreme 5AM Saint a while ago.

Well, got back earlier today from the Black Country. Was going to the NEC, but put off by the crowds heading there at New Street. Next time I go by car.

Anyway, the pub crawl. 13 pubs, 14 beers from 12 breweries.

The full list.

Hogs Heads, Wolverhampton.

Kinver Light Railway, 3.7%. Probably my least favourite ale.

Park Tavern, Kingswinford.

Batham's Bitter, 4.3%

Enville Enville ale, 4.5%

Red Lion, Swan and Starving Rascal, Amblecote.

Redcar Inferno, 4%

Castle Rock Harvest Pale 3.6%

Hobson's twisted Spire, 3.6%

Black Horse and Bull & Bladder, Brierley Hill

Holden's Golden Glow, 4.4%

Batham's Mild 3.5%

Black Horse very unfriendly, but a very good pint.

Old Swan, Netherton.

Dark Swan, 4.2%

Five Ways Inn, Lower Gornal.

Salopian Prohibition, 4.8%

Bull's Head, White Lion and Beacon Hotel, Sedgeley.

Holden's Black Country Mild, 3.7% One of the best ales.

Oakham Bishop's Farewell. 4.6%

Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby, 6%

Great Western, Wolverhampton.

Holden's Black Country Bitter, 3.9%

And for those of you interested, our bus was Ex Derby City Volvo Ailsa #71.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 5

Advent calendars. Boring aren't they usually?

Not the one my daughter has bought me - A (heavy) box numbered 1-24, each slot containing a 500mm bottle of German beer to discovered...

Beats cheap'n'nasty chocolate novelties every time!

steve

• Like 9

Not the one my daughter has bought me

- A (heavy) box numbered 1-24, each slot containing a 500mm bottle of German beer to discovered...

steve

What a fantastic idea think I'll share this with the wife!

On a different note my current tipple of choice is "Old Nutty Hen" a limited edition autumn ale from the people who make Old speckled (underpants) hen.

Nik

• RMweb Premium

A quick heads up, beery RMWebbers - Booths (a Lancashire chain of higher supermarkets) have quite a few special offers at present, including quite a few Marstons 500 ml bottles at £1.25 and that includes Old Empire IPA.  They are also offeriong Owd Roger at £1.89.

• Like 3

Not the one my daughter has bought me - A (heavy) box numbered 1-24, each slot containing a 500mm bottle of German beer to discovered...

steve

Spill the beans. What have you had so far ?

• Like 1

So far:

ADVENT BEERS

Dec 1 - Oettinger Dunkles Hefeweizen - Pleasant if undistinguished.

Dec 2 - Huber Weisses

Dec 3 - Wolferftetter Dunkles Weizen

Dec 4 - Franziskaner Weissbier

Two days behind as have granddaughter visiting at present!

steve

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So far:

ADVENT BEERS

Dec 1 - Oettinger Dunkles Hefeweizen - Pleasant if undistinguished.

Dec 2 - Huber Weisses

Dec 3 - Wolferftetter Dunkles Weizen

Dec 4 - Franziskaner Weissbier

Two days behind as have granddaughter visiting at present!

steve

I'm sure that you will have made up for lost time by the 24th.

A couple of Belgian Christmas beers last evening.

Bush Noel. A lovely tripel style full of Christmas pudding notes. 12% of yummy

A 750ml of Delerium Noel. 10% of pink elephant fruity happiness.

Note to self. Order more

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a seasonal bump after a recent visit to the marvellous Bitter Virtue in Southampton, with a few of the more interesting ones to the fore of my rather crowded beer/car junk shelf. :drink_mini:

The place is like beer heaven and any wallet related good intentions went out of the window within a couple of minutes of browsing, I should have enough stout to see me well into January now though?

The only downside was a lack Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout this year, truly wonderful and always hard to find anyway, but since they sold out to AB-InBev (Stella!) they are apparently no longer interested in exporting such niche products outside of the US, and its currently unlikely to be seen here again. :sad_mini:

DSC_0186_zpsa70e1207.jpg

Meanwhile the ageing/junk cupboard's drinks collection is looking rather eclectic at present, with a strong Scottish flavour...some perhaps more desirable than others!

DSC_0185_zps068f3b18.jpg

Edited by Bert Cheese
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have in my possession what is now quite rare, a bottle of Sonnet 43 Brown Ale, apparently they stopped brewing it a while back (Durham Light Infantry may be able to clarify), it will be enjoyed some time over the festive period. If all else fails though my local has their 'Steam Beer' as a guest at the moment.

I have in my possession what is now quite rare, a bottle of Sonnet 43 Brown Ale, apparently they stopped brewing it a while back (Durham Light Infantry may be able to clarify), it will be enjoyed some time over the festive period. If all else fails though my local has their 'Steam Beer' as a guest at the moment.

Bizzare,

I was drinking a Sonnet IPA in the Tap the other night !