The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

Over Christmas I tried a beer called "Ace Ale" flavoured with strawberry's and vanilla, not too much of the fruit and with a nice hoppey  after taste.  About £1.10 from Home Bargains.  Me been a numpty I forgot to take a photo of the bottle and note who brewed it. Thinking back it could have been Bell haven?  Who do a nice summer fruits ale.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is very nice that I'm drinking at the mo:

KLW_Flasche_Hell.jpg

steve

I actually met Prince Luitpold when he was being entertained by the most enterprising owner of the Sun Hotel in Lancaster some years ago - just before he was due to arrive, lots of the regulars were given a pint of the keg version of this beer in a liveried glass on the house.

I'm sure this'll get me hounded outta here, but Brewdog Nanny State (claims alc free but in fact 0.5%) ain't half bad.

Its not bad for what was basically a novelty beer, another attempt to wind The Portman Group up after some spat over the high strength beers such as Sink the Bismark...later revealed to have been induced by a fake letter of complaint actually sent by James Watt of Brewdog as a joke/publicity stunt.

Most Brewdog ales tend to be big hitters, but another low ABV favourite is Dead Pony Club (since renamed Dead Pony Pale Ale) at only 3.8% it is incredibly tasty and smells beautiful.

I tend to think of it as the little brother of Hardcore IPA which is serious stuff at 9.2% and is definately a sipper, not to be thrown straight down your neck...

• RMweb Premium

Its not bad for what was basically a novelty beer, another attempt to wind The Portman Group up..

I don't know what powers the Portman Group (which appears to comprise all the big companies in the alcohol business, smaller companies being conspicuous by their absence) has.  I note that in the incident involving Brewdog's Dead Pony Club, the Portman Group issued a "Bulletin instructing licensees and retailers not to place orders for stocks of Dead Pony Club in its current packaging after 8th July 2014".  Have they any power to do that?  They do not appear to be a statutory body.

Brewdog didn't seem to think it mattered much.  I liked their "formal apology for not giving a sh*t about anything the Portman Group has to say".  It's worth reading - "http://www.digitalnewsroom.co.uk/brewdog/dead-pony-portman-group/

DT

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Almost forgot to mention; I spent a pleasant hour or so in the Cask and Pottle Micropub in Tutbury last Saturday afternoon.  First time I've been in there and will definitely be going again.  Tried three of the four ales that were on; the Ramsgate Brewery Dogbolter was my favourite and seemed very popular with the other drinkers in there too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Probably Shepherd Neame. They brew a range of seasonal ales that are sold in Lidl stores (and elsewhere).  ISTR Ace Ale was on sale at the time of Wimbledon (Ace, strawberries....).

Pete

Speaking of Shepherd Neame, I've just received a 4 bottle pack as a birthday present. Whitechapel Porter, Golden Ale, Mainbrace IPA and Gentleman Jack. Just digging into the Golden Ale. Very nice. Daren't touch the Porter at 5.2% because it's my birthday and more alcohol may flow

• Like 1

My recent tipples:

Never had Green King IPA on tap before, but a pub lunch on my birthday last week gave me the chance to try it. Goes down very smoothe.

post-12902-0-47936600-1423865107_thumb.jpg

I first had Fraoch a few years when I picked up a couple of bottles from the local off-licence. Having not seen it anywhere since I Googled it and found the Williams Bros Brewery website. To which an order was duly placed. It doesn't have the green tinge that it used to, the unique heather flavour is still there.

post-12902-0-00410500-1423865128_thumb.jpg

Also from Williams Bros Kelpie is another of their traditional recipies, this time made with seaweed. I didn't expect this one to be so dark, it's more of a porter. But it does go down very easily with a pleasant after taste.

post-12902-0-59063400-1423865145_thumb.jpg

This is a good topic- Im liking it.  Nothing better than watching the trains go round with a pint.

My food for thought on ale- Ringwood brewery, Badger, Wadworths 6X or Hook Norton are my breweries of choice.  Not always available in the North but we have plenty of guest ales on tap locally (Saddleworth) and The Swan (Dobcross) alway has 3 from the Marstons menu that they allow the customers to pick in advance so I generally get Ringwood FortyNiner on tap!!

We have also done the "Ale Trail" a few times out of Greenfield (Greenfield- Staylebridge- Dewsbury- Huddersfield- Slaithwaite- Marsden- Greenfield) by train and there are some superb station pubs en-route.  However I would be wary of saturdays now as the day seems to be full of stags and hens who arent always well behaved or considerate of other travellers.  Weekday is best for us.  BTW, we dont always stop at all the stations en-route.......hic!

dave

• RMweb Premium

Having finished my Brewdog selection I subsequently invested in a 12 bottle beer selection box from Adnams ( This contained three 500ml bottles each of Southwold Bitter, Ghost Ship, Explorer and Lighthouse.  Having once had the good fortune to live in Suffolk I'm very fond of Adnams so I had great expectations.  They were not fully met.

The bitter was, as ever, excellent, and the first swallow took me right back to the last pub I'd been to when in Suffolk last year (The Ferry Inn, Felixstowe).

Ghost Ship was also good.  I was surprised by its excellence from the cask at the Ferry Inn, and the bottled beer, while not as good as the cask (but there again bottled beer never is), was still a darned good drink.

I hadn't sampled Explorer before.  It's a maltier brew and while quite acceptable it's nothing special.

Lighthouse was a disappointment.  Its a lighter and weaker beer and, to be fair to it, it's probably not at its best sampled on a cold Scottish winter day and would, I'm sure, be much more quaffable on a warm summer day in Suffolk.  Having said that, I probably won't bother sampling it again.

The box provided a good taster.  None of the beers had the remarkable flavours of the Brewdog beers I've tried, but it could  be said that they were more quaffable.  I'll certainly shop with Adnams again, but will limit myself to their Southwold Bitter, Ghost Ship and Broadside which latter, unfortunately, was not included in the box. At £5.99, delivery is not particularly cheap - that pushed the price of the bottles in the box up from a reasonable £1.67 each to £2.16.  On orders over £50 delivery is free and a case each of Bitter, Ghost Ship and Broadside will achieve that easitly.  Or should I spend the money on railways....?

DT.

DT

Wife and I spent the day in Healesville, went to the sanctuary to play with koalas and wallabies,

Had a great lunch at the Healesville Hotel (no alcohol consumed)

Then we stopped off at Coldstream Brewery, I gave the keys to the missus and tried these on tap.

Coldstream Czech Pilsner - a very nice pilsner sharp clear and just enough hop

Coldstream crisp pale ale - nice good malt roundness but not quite enough hop for my liking (disclaimer I really like hops)

Coldstream Grand Porter - Smooth and the chocolate and toffee come through nicely - ok I had 2 of these  :imsohappy:

They had 10 locally brewed beers and ciders on tap but the wife's patience was getting thin so didn't try any others.

Well worth a visit and, there's a train station at Healesville so it kind of ties in (Suburban end of the line).

Oh there's also the more famous White Rabbit brewery in Healesville but as Lion own that now it'll probably be shut down soon

and brewing moved to their Geelong "craft beer" megabrewery.

ps. for the designated driver, wife says the hot chocalate at Coldstream was very nice and their coffee smells good.

Having finished my Brewdog selection I subsequently invested in a 12 bottle beer selection box from Adnams ( This contained three 500ml bottles each of Southwold Bitter, Ghost Ship, Explorer and Lighthouse.  Having once had the good fortune to live in Suffolk I'm very fond of Adnams so I had great expectations.  They were not fully met.

DT

Brewdog certainly make some nice gear and some bloody weird ones too.

I quite like the Punk IPA and once tried their "End of History" What? that's beer?

I also tried an Adnams sampler but I think maybe by the time it got here and sat on the shelf for ages because nobody knew what it was,

The beers were not in their prime.

The sampler here was only 6 bottles and included a Broadside strong ale can't remember the complete lineup.

I remember the Broadside because it was the standout of what was otherwise run of the mill beers for me.

Not that "strong" alcohol wise but a nice full balanced beer for me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If anyone's likely to be looking for a beer in Southampton, the new brewery/pub at the Woolhouse opens tomorrow; the new venture from the people at Dancing Man Brewery and Platform Tavern. No connection but an occasional, and once regular, customer at the Platform, going back to when it was a run down Marstons' dockers' pub in the '80s. http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11820230.PHOTOS__Wool_House_s_new_lease_of_life_as_brewhouse_opens_in_Southampton/

Pete

I have recently come back from a weekend in London with SWMBO. I was disappointed with the pubs I visited. I'll admit I find "craft" beer too cold, and fizzy my palate, so I steer clear of them. I expected at least some London Pride, or Youngs Special. Went into one pub in Fitzrovia, to find Bank's Bitter on the pull, I wouldn't drink that in the Clarendon Hotel in Wolverhampton, let alone in London so had to settle for a pint of Adnams Southwold Bitter. In the five pubs I visited in that area, I really struggled to find a decent pint. Although the wife was happy in one pub they had Rekorderlig Strawberry and Lime cider on draught.

• 3 weeks later...

....Old Oak at 6% from the Wincle brewery is a serious and superb ale.....well worth seeking out. Old Hag gets the same recommendation....these 2 of the 4 previously untried ales collected yesterday will become regulars for me, along with the seasonal Summer Lass from the WB.

Harveys Best Sussex ale....sampled frequently on a recent trip to Rye....is another worthy (could be worty....sorry) contender. A bit of a trek to find it for me though.

Slumbering Monk and the blonde ale from Joules remain firm favourites when I walk into town with friends/family to seek refreshment and a natter. Their brewery at Market Drayton is well worth a visit...the tour fee includes unlimited access to the 3 taps on the wall of the visitor centre....just don't be the driver on the day!

Quoting the guy liking the grapefruity beers below....the above may well be beers that my grandad liked/would have preferred but I well understand and agree with his reasoning!

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1