RMweb

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

Waylands Brewery is now in Cranborne where "The Sixpenny Tap" is proving very popular, highly quaffable ales. My favourite Dorset brewery is Palmers of Bridport and I was able to enjoy

post-13586-0-19077100-1497882666_thumb.jpg

while at an evening wedding reception at Athelhampton, a few pints helped the evening go very pleasantly and with the current weather we were in the garden until 9.30ish !

• Like 4

A new ale for me tonight.

Yorkshire Gold - brewed by the Black Sheep Brewery.

It was in the Marks and Spencer two for £10 meal deal offer.

I think Yorkshire Gold is from the Leeds Brewery not Black Sheep but either way I agree it's a good beer!

product.beer.png

Just had a bottle of this and it was a real eye-opener.  Delicious....

Snap -and a wonderful beer that's also gluten free!

A friend that recently stated he hadn't tasted a good gluten free beer has been directed to this brewery as they do a good gluten free selection.post-7305-0-20209100-1497999832_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah, Wold Top, very nice stuff.

Well here's something from the east coast of norn iron, at last we're getting some interesting ales over here... Albeit mainly in bottles rather than on draught:

post-10919-0-43491700-1498067671_thumb.jpg

Lovely IPA it is too. :-)

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All very pleasant.

Currently 27° after a highest temp of 34° this after noon.

A very passable tipple at 4.0 abv and available at the very reasonable price of under 30p per 500ml bottle.....

post-14122-0-46874700-1498073433_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

From the excellent Theakstons brewery Masham- Old Peculier 5.6% just the ticket after a game of 5-a-side in tropical temperatures.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Wouldn't be my choice at this time of year!

All very pleasant.

Currently 27° after a highest temp of 34° this after noon.

A very passable tipple at 4.0 abv and available at the very reasonable price of under 30p per 500ml bottle.....

You are presumably not in Cardiff at the moment. Or did you bring the beer back with you?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A new drinking experience for me and SWMBO this evening.

Unkindly, we often refer to red wine as "vino losso" after being served by a Chinese waitress in Venice. Tonight, we will toast her with a glass (or two) of Cabernet Sauvignon from her home country.

Just opened it and it is touch high on the tannins but rather good. £8.50 from Tesco - on the bottom shelf.

• Like 2

Not quite current, but very soon to be a Gordon's premixed G&T currently on offer in ASDA at £10 for 10.

Yeah, I know it'd be cheaper to buy the makings but I just couldn't be @rsed :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Me neither, although I accidentally went to the pub last night and had a couple, but it has been a little cooler the last couple of days. 

Apparently the have trouble brewing it in the summer.

Me neither, although I accidentally went to the pub last night and had a couple, but it has been a little cooler the last couple of days. 

Damn! I knew I should have drank it in the ice bath after the game!

(More chance of knitting fog than me having an ice bath- even in summer)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Itt's quite hot again to day and I've had to do some gardening.  So drink of choice is Lidl's Gnarly Fox lager, straight out of the fridge. Now unless I'm abroad in a hot country I don't normally go for lagers, but Gnarly Fox actually tastes quite good and is well worth a punt at £1.19 for 500ml.

Otherwise, yesterday I took some visitors to the Fettercairn Distillery where we enjoyed the guided tour (£5 a head).  At the end of the tour drams were of course produced, and I was quite surprised by their 42% Fior single malt, indeed so favourably surprised that I bought a bottle, helped by the knowledge that it was cheaper there (£38.50) than in the shops.  Its not aged, but is made up of a blend of 15, 14 and 5 year old Fettercairn malts.

That's not the only single malt I've bought recently.  Lidl has a very good reputation in the world of whisky, and several of its own brand products have won awards - indeed, at the World Whisky Awards last years its £39 Ben Bracken 22-year-old islay single malt was adjudged the best Islay single malt and its £30 Glenalba 22-year old was adjudged the best special release blended malt.  Even their budget range Glen Margot has won awards.  Now they've introduced a rather cheaper (£17.49!) Ben Bracken Islay single malt and at that price I really couldn't resist it.  It's actually very good, "a belter for the price" as one reviewer said.  It's very Islay, but also quite sweet which I like.  At the same time and for the same price Lidl released Ben Bracken Highland and Speyside single malts and I've no reason to think that they won't be absolute bargains as well - see https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/new-whiskies/14955/batch-101/#14950 for one of the few reviews currently available.

DT

• RMweb Gold

Not quite current, but very soon to be a Gordon's premixed G&T currently on offer in ASDA at £10 for 10.

Yeah, I know it'd be cheaper to buy the makings but I just couldn't be @rsed :D

I bet they don't use the same ratio of gin to tonic that I do.

• RMweb Gold

Fermenting either wine or beer is very temperature dependent, especially in products with high residual sugars.

Theakston's may well be still a rather traditional brewery using old equipment. Most  of the better beers these days are made using modern fermenters where the temperature can be much better controlled.

• RMweb Gold

Itt's quite hot again to day and I've had to do some gardening.  So drink of choice is Lidl's Gnarly Fox lager, straight out of the fridge. Now unless I'm abroad in a hot country I don't normally go for lagers, but Gnarly Fox actually tastes quite good and is well worth a punt at £1.19 for 500ml.

Otherwise, yesterday I took some visitors to the Fettercairn Distillery where we enjoyed the guided tour (£5 a head).  At the end of the tour drams were of course produced, and I was quite surprised by their 42% Fior single malt, indeed so favourably surprised that I bought a bottle, helped by the knowledge that it was cheaper there (£38.50) than in the shops.  Its not aged, but is made up of a blend of 15, 14 and 5 year old Fettercairn malts.

That's not the only single malt I've bought recently.  Lidl has a very good reputation in the world of whisky, and several of its own brand products have won awards - indeed, at the World Whisky Awards last years its £39 Ben Bracken 22-year-old islay single malt was adjudged the best Islay single malt and its £30 Glenalba 22-year old was adjudged the best special release blended malt.  Even their budget range Glen Margot has won awards.  Now they've introduced a rather cheaper (£17.49!) Ben Bracken Islay single malt and at that price I really couldn't resist it.  It's actually very good, "a belter for the price" as one reviewer said.  It's very Islay, but also quite sweet which I like.  At the same time and for the same price Lidl released Ben Bracken Highland and Speyside single malts and I've no reason to think that they won't be absolute bargains as well - see https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/new-whiskies/14955/batch-101/#14950 for one of the few reviews currently available.

DT

Lidl just about to open a store locally. Hurrah!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You are presumably not in Cardiff at the moment. Or did you bring the beer back with you?

Your observations were correct. Not in Cardiff and temps rose the following day to 37° so a few more were had. In fact in the course of the afternoon/evening, five were put to bed for the princely sum of £1.50....

Rob.

• 3 weeks later...