The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

31 minutes ago, 43110andyb said:

After 3 night shifts a chance to relax with a beer in the garden today! Pure UBU 4.5%

A15FF001-7CF5-4674-B43F-01D133D42210.jpeg

You’ll definitely relax with that one!

Might have a pint of Forty Niner later with a meal. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today's discovery is a sensational range of beers called Lowlander - not from Scotland but the Netherlands. Think Brew Dog but with even better marketing/presentation. And the beers are brewed using various botanicals. Netherlands gin heritage applied to beer!

Lunchtime, I tried the 0% White beer, "Wit". Now I don't really do white beers nor low alcohol. But this was fairly spectacular. Wonderful citrussy nose and full flavour if perhaps a little sour at first taste. I was sharing with our chef team and all of us took to it after a second taste.

I am now onto the Grapefruit Pale Ale. Even better!

I have several more to taste (perhaps not this evening). The range is being imported by Weston's Cider and I think that it is going to be a massive success.

Edit to add: I only have bottles but some are available as keg. One local pub here in Hereford is selling it in similar volumes to their standard lager despite quite a price premium.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 3

With football well and truly furloughed at the moment socially distanced cricket has become the norm! Post (cricket) match beer is a firm favourite and previously documented! But near perfection requires a regular slot! Black sheep ale 4.4% :drink_mini:

58F5B4AA-CAE4-4C7A-8CDB-E168EEF11871.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 30/06/2020 at 20:42, Black 5 Bear said:

Anyone from the North West remember the Burtonwood brewery and their Top Hat ale ?

Yes I remember it well - A warming strong winter beer - a nice pint, we nicknamed it "Flat cap" !!

Burtonwood beer was either right or wrong, much dependent on pub / landlord. Back in the 70's my local was a Burtonwood pub, and the Landlord "William Summner Telford" (what a name !!) was a great guy who looked after both his ale and us unruly lot !!!. Another nice Burtonwood beer was their Light Mild - two bob a pint back then !! - nice with a packet of those new fangled Chip Sticks !!.

But Greenall Whitley ------------------------image.png.7ea938ef994c212040374768dea4c06a.png

Brit15

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back in the North West, Chester infact, my home city.

I've Just sampled a rather pleasing ale from the  Peerless Micro Brewery in Birkenhead.

This is the 6% ABV deep amber ale called "Full Whack".

If you've never tried it please do, I'm on my fifth pint this evening and fully recommend it !IMG_20200811_165304.jpg.8c8756713adbc5545ef15015c99d64ff.jpg

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 01/08/2020 at 20:16, APOLLO said:

Yes I remember it well - A warming strong winter beer - a nice pint, we nicknamed it "Flat cap" !!

Burtonwood beer was either right or wrong, much dependent on pub / landlord. Back in the 70's my local was a Burtonwood pub, and the Landlord "William Summner Telford" (what a name !!) was a great guy who looked after both his ale and us unruly lot !!!. Another nice Burtonwood beer was their Light Mild - two bob a pint back then !! - nice with a packet of those new fangled Chip Sticks !!.

But Greenall Whitley ------------------------image.png.7ea938ef994c212040374768dea4c06a.png

Brit15

Used to get a nice pint of Top Hat in one of my regular dives in Leicester, can't remember which one, either the Shakespeare's Head on Southgates, or the High Cross on High Cross St. Think they did Burtonwood Mild as well, or could have been Ansell's. Kept well, Top Hat was nice stuff.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Up here in north east Scotland (well, that's what they call it, in fact we're only about half way up the right hand side) we don't see much Welsh beer, but while doing a Tesco online shop last week I saw Glamorgan Brewery Welsh Pale Ale and thought I'd give it a go - I usually try to get one beer I don't know anything about.  I'm glad I did because while reviews on Ratebeer are fairly ambivalent I thoiught it was very good and I'll probably get some more.  It's not complicated, just very nice easy quaffing.

wpa.jpg.bfa5e11a3ea008c069e9c8416bf87cb8.jpg

• Like 3

Half way through a bottle of Barefoot Merlot. Got hooked on it about 6 years ago when it was given to us on arrival at a holiday cottage just outside Bideford. That and a cracking homemade cream cake and Smarties for the boys. Stress relief in a bottle.

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 20:43, didcot said:

Half way through a bottle of Barefoot Merlot. Got hooked on it about 6 years ago when it was given to us on arrival at a holiday cottage just outside Bideford. That and a cracking homemade cream cake and Smarties for the boys. Stress relief in a bottle.

If you like the Barefoot range of wines, please give their Malbec a try.

This is seriously delicious red, particularly when enjoyed as an accompanyment to steak or other red meats.

Enjoy !

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Latest "one-off" this week was abottle of Loch Ness brewery's "Light Ness".  It promised "A delicate, fruity ale with Galaxy, Columbus and Citra hops combining beautifully with clear Highland Water.  Straw gold in colour, with aromas of apply & zesty citrus, leading to a fresh, pithy tangerine bitterness" and indeed, out of the fridge on a hot evening, it was pretty good - but there again in these circumstances, most pale ales would have been.  In fact it was perfectly decent albeit fairly unremarkable - not sure I'll buy it again unless it's on special offer.

1623824151_LochNessBrewery_LightNess_500mlBottle_DARK_BGRD.jpg.2072a36ffc8293a39efa2ce04d9af6f4.jpg

I have to confess that I'd never heard of the Loch Ness Brewery and was a little disappointed to find out that the beer had in fact been brewed 25 miles from Loch Ness by The Cairngorm Brewery in Aviemore.  A little research revealed that up until 2016 Loch Ness beers had indeed been brewed at Drumnadrochit on the banks of Loch Ness, but in that year the company folded and its name and recipes bought out by Cairngorm Brewery which, to its credit, has continued Loch Ness as a separate brand with its own recipes though brewed at the Cairngorm Brewery.  So perhaps happily there was no chance of any monstrous ingredients in the water.

DT

• Like 5

Last night saw me get through this trio of whisky barrel aged bruisers from Glen Affric brewery of Birkenhead, I had previously tucked these away for winter but never mind...

L-R: The Big Yin Scottish ale at 14.4% - Baltic Mutiny Baltic porter at 13.4% and Crackin' Cran Scottish ale at a trifling 9.8% ABV :o

I started with the lightest first thinking if it was too sticky or barley wine like I'd leave it at that, but found it surprisingly drinkable and so carried on...all were not bad at all though to be honest I probably wouldn't seek these out again, having said that the brewery also do some rum barrel aged ales that look interesting.

GAB.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Bert Cheese said:

Last night saw me get through this trio of whisky barrel aged bruisers from Glen Affric brewery of Birkenhead,

I'd feel much better disposed towards Glen Affric Brewery had they not adopted a name that gives a completely false impression of their location.

DT

• Like 1