The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

On 14/08/2020 at 19:17, 43110andyb said:

Tonight’s tipple on the Coventry canal is Wye Valley Golden Ale 4.2% (with the added distraction of the WCML in the background)!

DB41FA94-E8FF-427F-8138-7ADB3F8C3899.jpeg

All you needed to do to make everyone on the train envious was hold the bottle up as the train passed you! :)

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, Torper said:

I'd feel much better disposed towards Glen Affric Brewery had they not adopted a name that gives a completely false impression of their location.

DT

I thought it rather odd too, but apparently the owning family have a long association with the area in question and have in fact applied for planning permission to redevelop some local premises to compliment the business.

Perhaps this may take a while, I've noticed quite a lot of derelict buildings on recent trips to Islay despite there apparently being a chronic housing shortage there...the locals we spoke to were generally of the opinion that the chances of them being made habitable once more were virtually nil due to local politics though...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Bert Cheese said:

I thought it rather odd too, but apparently the owning family have a long association with the area in question and have in fact applied for planning permission to redevelop some local premises to compliment the business.

Perhaps this may take a while, I've noticed quite a lot of derelict buildings on recent trips to Islay despite there apparently being a chronic housing shortage there...the locals we spoke to were generally of the opinion that the chances of them being made habitable once more were virtually nil due to local politics though...

Not just local politics. A friend built a new house on Islay some years ago. Costs were horrendous due to the cost of bringing building materials onto the island.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Bert Cheese said:

Perhaps this may take a while, I've noticed quite a lot of derelict buildings on recent trips to Islay

I've got a family connection with Bournemouth, but however strong that connection mught be (not awfully strong, in fact) I don't think it would be right for me to set up a brewery in Angus and call it The Bournemouth Brewery.  If the people concerned do manage to set up a brewery in Glan Affric, then fine - but until then?  (I assume from what you say above that the Glen Affric referred to must be one on Islay, which I haven't heard of, and not the rather better known one on the mainland?)

DT

Edited by Torper
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am currently drinking another Wye Valley product, their Bitter. A really good session ale at 3.6%.

The Mini, usually parked outside the brewery at Stoke Lacey near Bromyard, celebrates their 1985 Lager, 1985 being the year that the Brewery was founded (then at The Barrels in Hereford).

Amazing to think that a 35 year old Mini can be that good. My first Mini was only 14 years old and you could see the road through holes in the floor. My parents' MIni Countryman was already a rust bucket at 9 years.

IMG_20200804_154724.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

"The beer I haven't tried before" at the supermarket shop this week was Orkney Gold.  "As Good As Gold", it claims, which doesn't seem to make much sense as you can't drink gold and it's not really a very good comparison.

However, the colour when poured was indeed a beautiful gold, with a good head.  The blurb on the label claimed that this is a "Refreshingly crisp hoppy golden ale with zesty sweet lemon, madarin and apricot flavour".  I couldn't taste any of these - all i could taste was beer, which was no bad thing.  But I do sometimes wonder if there's something wrong with my rather elderly taste buds as lots of craft beers these days claim to have any number of exotic flavours and while I do indeed frequently taste something citrus, the rest of the time I really just taste beer and these other exotica might as well not be there.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with Orkney Gold.  It's a perfectly pleasant drink which disappeared before I could perhaps properly test it.  However, it was pretty unremarkable and i don't think I'll buy it again.

Off now to open a bottle of Lidl's Green Gecko, which I like a lot.

DT

• Like 3

A doctor on television said "To prevent boredom at home finish off things around the house you have started"

Good advice I thought.

I finished off the Merlot, then the Chardonnay. Followed that with the Pinot Grigio and the Cava.
The Bells was next then the Jash Dannyels, Baylish, Bac-- Bacardi, Shevas Regal, the Jin. Finallly the Shhhmirrrr------_____
--
--

Hasshy moshellinn.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

19 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Beer for your pet pooch.

image.png.cc628008558f4bc86bd81f9b040ff19e.png

Non-Alcoholic of course Phil, lol ???

When visiting one of our regular holiday haunts, the Ludlow Brewery company, our little King Charles used to bark and bark until the barmen relented and poured him a saucer of their excellent Black Knight stout.

This establishment is extremely dog friendly, being located within a former GWR goods shed next to Ludlow Station.

Highly recommended by dog and owner !

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 2

Erm...this stuff, Tesco fake distillery name Islay malt gifted to me by a friend who bought it on offer for £15.00 recently and then found it to be undrinkable :rolleyes:

While its certainly no fine Ardbeg or Bruichladdich I am quite taken by its very evident youthful roughness and am quite enjoying it...seems I am alone though as a couple of other friends have not been able to do more than sniff it without wincing...

Not sure of its origin as the bottle can be traced back to Whyte & Mackay who no longer have a distillery on Islay...why such a cheap brand would buy stock in is a slight mystery.

I also done a bit of research and one of the whisky reviewers I generally agree with marked it at 2 out of 10 when first released...a bit harsh I feel as it deserves a 4 at least.

UM.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

On 23/08/2020 at 12:54, PhilJ W said:

Beer for your pet pooch.

image.png.cc628008558f4bc86bd81f9b040ff19e.png

On 23/08/2020 at 13:13, Black 5 Bear said:

Non-Alcoholic of course Phil, lol ???

When visiting one of our regular holiday haunts, the Ludlow Brewery company, our little King Charles used to bark and bark until the barmen relented and poured him a saucer of their excellent Black Knight stout.

This establishment is extremely dog friendly, being located within a former GWR goods shed next to Ludlow Station.

Highly recommended by dog and owner !

I hope it’s 100% proof!!!!!!!!! 

100% Proof that it hasn’t been been anywhere near another dogs bottom! :drink_mini: Bottoms up- woof woof!

• Funny 2

Back to normality? Maybe not -but first game of 7-a-side football tonight since lockdown! Very strange but very enjoyable seeing all the lads again! To celebrate post match (not a win unfortunately) is Hadrian border brewery -Grainger Ale 4.6% my body requires a major service I think after a 3 month sabbatical :help: 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two new tastes tonight courtesy of a neighbour with whom I swap bottles from time to time.

The Jurassic dark was quite tasty and very smooth. I didn’t know what to expect from a dark wheat beer but was impressed

3E52D078-6E54-4849-B30E-6F5BFA7B5733.jpeg.8de9867af39b851c70845bd58a6cbb58.jpeg

the chesil was perhaps less tasty for me being a pilsner style but  still not a disappointment 

3055785C-BC1F-4C32-82FA-E000F6F87199.jpeg.e648f614c7d2900c97f0402d7d48d9f4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a post about what I’m not currently drinking! Around this time of year, one of the local breweries does a fresh-hopped pale ale which is just beautiful. Late last week, my son told me that the brewery had just released a fresh-hopped IPA, so I thought I would try that.  Called in today - none left; they had sold out within one day!   The pale ale is due to be released this Friday. I’ll have to set the alarm for early.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1