The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

Anybody tried Long Man bitter? I had it from the pump, and it was gorgeous (from The Ship Inn at West Itchenor in East Sussex). I don’t know whether they do a bottled version, but I shall look out for it if so. Other notable drinks in the Chichester area came from Arundel Brewery and Really Crafty. As it was BofB celebrations and a Spitfire was flying overhead, take a guess on my beer that night?

Edited by 88D
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

As Oktoberfest draws near, I picked up this Munich Paulaner Wheatbier from M+S.

They do have these and other beers on offer from time to time at £5.00 for 3.

This is a big saving on the current price of £2.50.

IMHO, one of the best Paulaner products coupled with a heady 5.5% ABV to match.

Recommended !

IMG_20200924_100741.jpg

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Failed piccie download
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

As Oktoberfest draws near, I picked up this Munich Paulaner Wheatbier from M+S.

They do have these and other beers on offer from time to time at £5.00 for 3.

This is a big saving on the current price of £2.50.

IMHO, one of the best Paulaner products coupled with a heady 5.5% ABV to match.

Recommended !

IMG_20200924_100741.jpg

I am very partial to a drop of weissbier myself, Aldi's own brand at £1.25 a bottle is a very good buy, sipping a bottle just now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I am very partial to a drop of weissbier myself, Aldi's own brand at £1.25 a bottle is a very good buy, sipping a bottle just now.

Thank you for the tip and at half the price too.

I can't believe I missed that one, what an absolute bargain !

Last time I was in Aldi a couple of weeks back, they had the Harper's range of ales. These are produced especially for this company.

They also market a Golden ale and an American IPA.

If you haven't already tried it give  their Red ale a whirl.

It's definitely as good as other similar products from other brewers which are twice the price.

Recommended !

• Like 2

I may have missed the fresh-hopped IPA from a local brewery, but I was ready for the release of the fresh-hopped pale ale at the end of last week. Everyone was limited to 12 cans, but my son gave me another 4 of his, since he drinks more of my beer than I do of his. That was nice of him! Here's one of my quickly-diminishing supply:

IMG_0092.jpg.19be3d9609b97b65f4371662dbadd8b6.jpg

There's another fresh-hopped beer coming soon. The particular hop they're going to use is not reading for harvesting yet.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

In these times of lockdown when it's difficult to go to our favourite watering hole there is only one thing to do is open a bottle at home. On my bike rides out in Cheshire I pass a polish supermarket where they sell some interesting beers. So a couple were slipped in my panniers for later. 

Both these beers are from Lithuania and were priced at £3.99 each.

The Dvaro manor house is a light honey beer at 5% which I found very enjoyable but my wife said it was foul. The Kanapinis is as yet untried at 5.3% which may get opened at weekend. 

IMG_20201001_165047_hdr.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, airnimal said:

In these times of lockdown when it's difficult to go to our favourite watering hole there is only one thing to do is open a bottle at home. On my bike rides out in Cheshire I pass a polish supermarket where they sell some interesting beers. So a couple were slipped in my panniers for later. 

Both these beers are from Lithuania and were priced at £3.99 each.

The Dvaro manor house is a light honey beer at 5% which I found very enjoyable but my wife said it was foul. The Kanapinis is as yet untried at 5.3% which may get opened at weekend. 

IMG_20201001_165047_hdr.jpg

I don't do honey beers at all. But I have tried the Karapinis and that was excellent. Probably for a chilly evening in front of the fire.

• Like 2

The final fresh-hopped beer for the year from one of the local breweries:

IMG_4988.JPG.458c93a929c24d16d3e0c2038b546a17.JPG

Great taste. However, at that strength, it definitely has to be enjoyed in moderation.

• Like 3

Had a pint and a half at the local before we were ‘shown the door’. If they have the pubs open, why not stay open until 11? Anyway, nice Mary Jane from Ilkley; haven’t been a fan of it in the past, but last night it was excellent.

• Like 4

Can’t attend live matches at the moment so a bottle of Worthington White Sheild 5.6% last night watching the mighty Darlo cruise to a 6-1 victory in the FA cup to the ‘brewers’ Tadcaster Albion.  Ps- They must have been on the John Smiths the night before, enough to put anyone off football & beer ;)

1E32D60C-F9F4-4756-B328-98B2D9EA568E.jpeg

• Like 2

Away for the weekend on NYMR ‘The Optimist’ from Pickering behind 30825, and return pulled by 92134. No refreshments on the train BUT I did visit two pubs who brew their own beer: New Inn at Cropton where I sampled the pale and the golf, and The Black Swan at Pickering where I sampled a strong pale ale called Mucky Duck. The beers were as smooth as the journey - a good weekend.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...