• RMweb Gold

Well most of the weekend has been taken up my decorating, I really hate painting!!

But I've managed to grab a few hours here am there.

ELJ has now got a proper frame work thanks to good friend, if anyone needs any wood work doing pm me and I'll pass on his details he's very reasonable.

E8AE26EA-2291-4684-94A5-4745F911D49A_zps

247FBEC9-705A-4976-B8DC-25AD0662FA2A_zps

F3B2B1BF-8106-4A79-9446-5E555B9C2969_zps

7C3944D2-2AA1-40A6-B351-4FA16A9FDF65_zps

So with the frame work done I little bit was done on the point rodding, I'll try and get some pics up in the next day or two.

Cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I know the feeling with the painting! I have been doing the same, however it was for my railway room so I guess it was worth it.  Nice bit of woodwork, I look forward to seeing more

Thanks Mike, at least your painting is for a good cause :)

I had two bathrooms to do, next up is this room and the back bedroom :( I've told the Mrs she can get someone in to do the living room, hall an landing.

I'll tile or lay flooring all day but I want to cry as soon as I see a paint brush!

Thanks again

• RMweb Gold

Nothing to do with progress on ELJ but some pics I've found in my mums of my second and third layouts when I was younger just before I left the hobby to discover women and beer!!

First up a roundy roundy

EDB0D969-102E-497F-BE9B-6171B74CB4EE_zps

734AE3B8-077C-422F-9199-B639E2DA9989_zps

2E061814-64CC-43E9-B0C5-4126D43B5005_zps

8F783935-A567-480E-BD46-292B7A577508_zps

5BF7042D-8142-4B9B-BAE5-4E65BF1F5620_zps

And a not so happy looking me

8C18C760-1D1E-41A5-B9A6-68E89FE0AAD3_zps

Then a more serious attempt, this had an L shaped scenic section with station and mpd, with homemade platforms. This never got finished, instead I started on a replica of Carlisle believe it or not which was pretty good, but after a year I lost all interest.

Station area

F70EDAD4-7FE1-4625-B803-17BE0247558D_zps

The bay platforms and through lines

7C47F269-5D8C-438F-A632-35C49041CDB9_zps

And the depot, this got pretty much finished with hard standing, peco maintenance shed and scratch built fuelling point.

F137BFDC-4A40-4283-8BE6-54C49845CCAB_zps

And a dodgy one of me in an inspectors hat I think an a 508!!

DE1A5FCA-3CFC-4884-85CC-5FE26C3B0DE6_zps

Cheers

• Like 6

Guest bri.s

Nice pics mate ,is that p4 trackwork ? Lol

That's a great setup and layout for a kid mate bet you had some fun with that

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks fellas, it kept growing and growing with dodgy extensions, I think the track was nfs-OO (not so fine scale -OO)Brain, forgot about that hst Derek it had lights!!

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

As long as you remember that a HST is for life and not just for 30 odd years.

I sold mine 20 years ago ;)

At least you can say your trackwork has improved over the years!

Mike.

Only just though Mike :O

Guest bri.s

I'd love an HST in blue ,back when I was a kid my brother got an HST I got the APT

Nice collection of locos there mate ,there's a few bob thier from back in day

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone, they would probably be worth a lot more now than what I got for the lot back in 92-93 when I sold the lot :(

I had 3 x 40's 1 Hornby 47, 2 x Lima 47, 81, 37, 31, hst, 55 an 2x 117 Dmu

Wish I'd took more pics!!

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not really done anything of interest lately apart from trying to tidy the wiring up since fitting the top board to the frame. I managed to finish this tonight and I've managed to glue the last of the ply and copper clad sleepers down, these just need staining and then I can ballast around them.

Everything seems to be running ok although the knuckles seem very tight as they seem to be just under 1mm, if they start causing problems I'll just replace the wing rails with my own.

Anyway as there's nothing to show here's a few pics of my only Lima, looks pretty good with the detail, although I can't take any credit for that as it was detailed when I bought it, the first OO gauge loco I bought when I returned to model railways, just needs a bit of weathering (and re-wheeling Dcc'ing etc :( ) but it looks just as good as most new stuff.

7384107C-99A8-43C4-A54F-E46682ED6B36_zps

18B5F42F-EB6F-4D11-A145-39226399BDA8_zps

8A936558-BD95-4CFF-BECC-D9101593E90B_zps

Cheers

• Like 4

Paul

Have a look at the roof on that "31", it APPEARS that the exhausts are along rather than across the body, which makes it a class 30. A 30 being a 31 with its original engine (Mirlees). Lima did make some, but not many compared to the later version.

Nice. The Lima 30/31 is one of the few locos that you can tip out the box, add some grab rails and run alongside brand new Bachmanns. Careful though if you ever buy and Hornby railroad version (a re-release of the Lima one) as they had an interesting mix of tools, with refurbished cabs on un-refurbished bodies etc.

If you see a class 30 with "skinhead" cabs, they are quite, quite rare. (just missed one on ebay...)

• RMweb Premium

Not really done anything of interest lately apart from trying to tidy the wiring up since fitting the top board to the frame. I managed to finish this tonight and I've managed to glue the last of the ply and copper clad sleepers down, these just need staining and then I can ballast around them.

Everything seems to be running ok although the knuckles seem very tight as they seem to be just under 1mm, if they start causing problems I'll just replace the wing rails with my own.

Anyway as there's nothing to show here's a few pics of my only Lima, looks pretty good with the detail, although I can't take any credit for that as it was detailed when I bought it, the first OO gauge loco I bought when I returned to model railways, just needs a bit of weathering (and re-wheeling Dcc'ing etc :( ) but it looks just as good as most new stuff.7384107C-99A8-43C4-A54F-E46682ED6B36_zps18B5F42F-EB6F-4D11-A145-39226399BDA8_zps8A936558-BD95-4CFF-BECC-D9101593E90B_zps

Cheers

Paul, will the point rodding take any stretching? If so it will make it straight and (it looks like metal) make the metal slightly harder and keep its straight.

Edit: very slight pull clearly

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Paul, will the point rodding take any stretching? If so it will make it straight and (it looks like metal) make the metal slightly harder and keep its straight.

Edit: very slight pull clearly

Hi David, it is a bit bendy but I need to have a play with them, thankfully they're the rear two, I've still got three more to add so hopefully they'll hide them. I'm also hoping weathering and undergrowth will help hide any wonky bits :(

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Paul

Have a look at the roof on that "31", it APPEARS that the exhausts are along rather than across the body, which makes it a class 30. A 30 being a 31 with its original engine (Mirlees). Lima did make some, but not many compared to the later version.

Nice. The Lima 30/31 is one of the few locos that you can tip out the box, add some grab rails and run alongside brand new Bachmanns. Careful though if you ever buy and Hornby railroad version (a re-release of the Lima one) as they had an interesting mix of tools, with refurbished cabs on un-refurbished bodies etc.

If you see a class 30 with "skinhead" cabs, they are quite, quite rare. (just missed one on ebay...)

Sorry Derek missed this, I've got one of the new Hornby one's lovely model, I'll do a couple of pics next to each other. Thanks for the info on the 30 to and I do like the skin head ones, to be honest I thought it was only some of the skin head versions that were 30's?

Cheers

Hi Paul- answered on your PM, but for consistency

ALL 31s started 'life' as 30's with Mirlees engines, which were replaced with Enlglish Electric later on (same as a 37 btw, but de-rated as the 31 generator and motors wouldn't take higher*)

The first 20 had different control equipment- denoted by a red circle over the buffer instead of blue star. The first X- will look how many-  of the production version (blue star) had the same external appearance as the pilot batch with the skin head and discs, but were mechanically the same as the main batch. (this is just the same as peaks and 40s moving from disc to headcode).

* two variations- one pilot (5518?) was in an accident and was built externally and internally as a main production version.

** One 31 (302) was uprated and became the ONLY type 4 (more power than a 37, in the same band as a 40 and 47) class 31. It was recognisable by an extra side radiator. That proves the 31 was fundamentally capable of a lot more than was originally expected. Whilst being uprated it was certainly not a "gut and rebuild in a 31 shell"

Sort of off topic, but 31 444, which was D5555 also was a skinhead.

IIRC, isn't remembering carp like that otherwise known as a medical condition? :)

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info Derek, very interesting regarding the 31302 :)

Well after not much progress over the last week or so as mentioned earlier I've had quite a productive hour tonight.

First up I stained the remaining sleepers and have ballasted the area.

The lines to Piggy seemed to be more compact and ash like going off photos so I've used more of a sand mix with a dusting of Carrs ash ballast and sprinkled in some find granite clippings.

1E97B52A-BEE9-4D0D-B34C-C59359A96ABD_zps

6A607FE9-6BAB-47EE-98C6-F01D44F6032B_zps

1683C34D-493A-4034-BB0D-1FCBACD8BA38_zps

I've than tackled the tight knuckles on the vee's

D0D75454-63F6-41D8-A74B-F20DBE907A55_zps

I've used a small file and filed away making the gap the 1mm it should be.

5DA9A2D8-EEC0-4B00-B861-8612400F1C7D_zps

7925BA20-7513-4F67-A08D-EFF789A3B5CB.png

This has really helped and there doesn't seem to be any riding up.

A good hours work.

Cheers

• Like 5

Wonderful,  I had never really thought much about laying the sleepers and ballasting before glueing the chairs with the rail on,  Looks like it might make things abit easier, Although how do you make sure the sleepers are in the correct place? Do you just glue the templot plan down and leave it buried underneath everything?

Cheers