• RMweb Gold

Re Skinhead 31s - the original 19 became 31/0 - 31001-19 (5518 = 31101, 4 character headcode panels) but the 31/1 skinheads seemed to be randomly distributed up to D5562 , no logical pattern discernable and plenty of headcode panel fitted locos up to that point too

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful,  I had never really thought much about laying the sleepers and ballasting before glueing the chairs with the rail on,  Looks like it might make things abit easier, Although how do you make sure the sleepers are in the correct place? Do you just glue the templot plan down and leave it buried underneath everything?

Cheers

Thanks Mike, to be honest it's not something I'd normally do but I've just done it for the end sections, that way when the second board gets attached I can lay the track as if one layout, glue and solder into place and then cut the rails on the join.

Hopefully the sleepers are in the right place ;) but like you said I've just glued the template down then ballasted over it, which is what I've done with the rest of the track.

Thanks again

• RMweb Gold

Re Skinhead 31s - the original 19 became 31/0 - 31001-19 (5518 = 31101, 4 character headcode panels) but the 31/1 skinheads seemed to be randomly distributed up to D5562 , no logical pattern discernable and plenty of headcode panel fitted locos up to that point tooPhil

Cheers Phil, going to try and get to DEMU so hopefully we can finally catch up again :D

• Like 2

Guest bri.s

I'm definitely trying to get again this year ,looks some good layouts and trade ,it'll be good to meet up again mate

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It'll be great to meet up with everyone and hopefully come away with a few goodies, I'm trying to pursued Steve (Scouser999) to come along with me if I can make to DEMU but I don't think he fancies being stuck in a car with me for nearly 2 hours :O my driving is not that bad!!!

It was great catching up with Steve again last night going through his excellent old photos and he's set me a challenge.

To fit this speaker into this 40

3A713DEE-3A64-4600-B53F-497217F9CC24_zps

3AC74747-3244-4930-B274-276A360B25A9_zps

The 40 needs stripping down so I can re-wire the pick ups so I'll take up the challenge then.

Cheers

It'll be great to meet up with everyone and hopefully come away with a few goodies, I'm trying to pursued Steve (Scouser999) to come along with me if I can make to DEMU but I don't think he fancies being stuck in a car with me for nearly 2 hours :O my driving is not that bad!!!

It was great catching up with Steve again last night going through his excellent old photos and he's set me a challenge.

To fit this speaker into this 40

3A713DEE-3A64-4600-B53F-497217F9CC24_zps

3AC74747-3244-4930-B274-276A360B25A9_zps

The 40 needs stripping down so I can re-wire the pick ups so I'll take up the challenge then.

Cheers

is it possible to fit it in the fuel tanks?

Edited by matthew ostrowski
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

t

is it possible to fit it in the fuel tanks?

Hi Mathew Steve's looked into it but the tanks were a bit smaller than the speaker but I've had an idea so I'll try and give it a go over the weekend, apparently the speaker gives a great basey sound :)

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit of loco stripping and tank bashing last night, which made a bit of a change from anything layout related.

Whilst poor old 270 is in bits I'm going to try and see if I can improve the pick ups to.

D51962C7-D174-4EC8-83AD-42E99A36182C_zps

B7EF48C9-0C3A-4A6D-9239-4F15E6D98969_zps

I'm not a lover of chopping bit of a perfectly good loco up but up to now things are looking ok.

747C3EC1-40EF-4F76-A56C-BB446436C243_zps

More to follow soon..

Cheers

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

No modelling as such in the layout but I have finished fitting the speaker in the tanks of the 40, it'll need a bit of tidying up and weathering but it does sound pretty good and very loud!

First vid is the first test.

First run on ELJ

Whilst I was filming I thought I'd give the 24 a run out.

Cheers

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That sounds excellent matey!3d printed replacement tanks anyone?Phil

Thanks Phil, 3D printed tanks wood be great, the speaker was a bit of a tight squeeze hopefully weathering will hide it.

Cheers

Thanks very much mate it really does make a huge difference :)

Cheers

I love the 24!! ... I have a green 24 on my workbench, waiting on a re-blow from "Legomanbiffo" to arrive back in the post. ... which speaker did you opt for as I'll also be looking to locate mine in the fuel tanks?

• Like 1

I love the 24!! ... I have a green 24 on my workbench, waiting on a re-blow from "Legomanbiffo" to arrive back in the post. ... which speaker did you opt for as I'll also be looking to locate mine in the fuel tanks?

The '24' is a SLW one, so has sound and speakers already fitted AFAIK?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The 24 is great I'm very tempted by the new syp version :O

Like Andy says it already had the sound an speakers fitted, the speaker I've just fitted to the 40 was given to me by Steve (scouser999) he got it from maplin. Apparently Charlie at Dc Kits has got some new super speakers that fit in tanks, it could be worth giving him a call.

Cheers

The 24 is great I'm very tempted by the new syp version :O

Like Andy says it already had the sound an speakers fitted, the speaker I've just fitted to the 40 was given to me by Steve (scouser999) he got it from maplin. Apparently Charlie at Dc Kits has got some new super speakers that fit in tanks, it could be worth giving him a call.

Cheers

Thanks - I just looked up SLW and all becomes clear! .. I have a modified Bachmann 24 and will speak to Charlie - I have one of his speakers in the tanks of a BRCW 27 and it makes a lovely clattering racket with plenty of bass!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - I just looked up SLW and all becomes clear! .. I have a modified Bachmann 24 and will speak to Charlie - I have one of his speakers in the tanks of a BRCW 27 and it makes a lovely clattering racket with plenty of bass!

You'll have to let me know what Charlie says about the speakers :) are you going to do a video of your 24 mate?

Cheers

You'll have to let me know what Charlie says about the speakers :) are you going to do a video of your 24 mate?

Cheers

... yes! If I can get the loco sorted before my next 'running day' at my Dad's then I'll film some video - I'm quite excited about getting it out on the railway and giving it a spin! Yours really looks the business - the acceleration and sound is very realistic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

... yes! If I can get the loco sorted before my next 'running day' at my Dad's then I'll film some video - I'm quite excited about getting it out on the railway and giving it a spin! Yours really looks the business - the acceleration and sound is very realistic.

That'll be great and looking forward to it :) I love the 24 an the way it drives I just wish I had a bit more room to give it a proper thrash!!

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Well as there's not long to go till the baby arrives it was time to start sorting the little room out for our new arrival. That meant saying farewell to ELJ 'OO', I've tried to salvage as much as I could which wasn't a lot but after a good hours worth of hard graft with the saw I've managed to saved my favourite bit intact, apart from a bent signal ladder.

0F7C19EA-6425-4285-A308-2A4484D9BFA9_zps

C43B7C2C-ABE9-4E6E-A4F8-69C0F9AF9345_zps

It was sad cutting the old ELJ up but it served its purpose and I learned a lot.

The section I've saved will be added to the second board when I start on it an in the mean time I'll add a few more touches.

Cheers

L