Dapol 6 Wheel Milk Tanker

NunneyCastle5029

Greetings,

I am having a few issues with my 6 wheel milk tanker when shunting around my layout goods yard. 

The problem seems to be that the tanker derails itself easily when pushed or pulled around curved track work and points.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have tried to add some additional weight to the chassis in an attempt to stabilize and reduce this problem with little to no success.

I have had no issues with any other wagons inc the Hornby version of the 6 wheel milk tanker.

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

In my experience, derailing on point work is usually a sign that there is something amiss with the back to back of the wheel sets.

I have also had problems with 6 wheeled chassis, such as tenders where all the wheels are fully flanged and the radius of the curve is just too tight for the vehicle to traverse.

• RMweb Gold

Look at the wheel flanges, we had a set with flanges like razor blades and they picked every point blade in sight. Swopped the wheels with a Bachman set and checked back to back run like a dream since.

You could also add a bit of extra weight. That would also help, but I certainly agree with replacing the wheels with Bachmann products.

Regards,

Nick.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of these, and like some of the above, swapped the wheels out. However, I only swapped out the outer sets, leaving the middle set alone. I did a straight swap with the wheels from an Older Dapol 4-wheel wagon in my collection. The milk tanker no longer derails and runs like a dream, and same goes to the donor wagon!

• 2 months later...

I complained to Dapol Dave about this at an exhibition.  He said that since my milk tanker was made, they'd changed the flange profile of their wheels (they were a bit 'knife like' as mentioned in post 4 above), and if I emailed my postal address to them they'd send me a replacement wheel set.  I did, and the replacement wheels have fixed the problem.

Edited by Combe Martin

• 4 months later...

Hi all

I just purchased one of these lovely looking tanks from my local shop and found that it derailed very easily, especially when being pushed.

Placing it on a sheet of glass it was easy to see that the middle pair of wheels was causing it to rock, i.e. they are too high.

It's only a fraction but sufficient to cause the issue.

My answer to this was to remove the two outer wheel sets and replace with Hornby metal wheels which seem to be ever so slightly bigger.

The result? perfect running.

The two wheel sets from the tanker have been redeployed in a four wheel wagon and also run perfectly.

Hope this might help others.

Picture is after the changes.

Happy weekend

post-1423-0-62706000-1424541676_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

My answer to this was to remove the two outer wheel sets and replace with Hornby metal wheels which seem to be ever so slightly bigger.

I did they same, replacing by Hornby 3-hole wheels, and now they no longer derail even on 2nd radius curves.

The problem is definitely the profile of the Dapol wheels, Dapol Dave (now DJM) told me this, and when they gave me a new wheel set (see post 11) it solved the problem, so certainly fitting a set of Bachmann or Hornby wheels should also fix it.  On mine the wheel flange was so thin and knife like, that when pushing a milk tanker into a point, set to turn right and when the approach track was also a right hand curve, the flange of the leading left hand wheel (being forced to the outside of the curve) would hit the end of the point blade and ride up over it.

Edited by Combe Martin

I've got some I bought just before Christmas, so presumably with the latest wheels. So far I've just been pushing them around the layout to test track as I lay it, and they do seem a bit unstable. Ideal for track testing though, as they easily fall off if there are any faults with my track laying!!!!

Great info here from all, I thought perhaps the point's were to tight for them, changed wheel set's, no problem. While we are on six wheelers could it be possible that this is also causing my old Hornby Triang 0-6-0 (1966) doing the same? Cheers, Tex.

• 11 months later...

Would a western class 52 of pulled the blue milk marketing board livered tanks in the early 70s??any ideas please.

Westerns were certainly the preferred traction for the milk trains from the Carmarthen area, so they would probably have had pulled some MMB tanks, though dirty silver and St Ivels orange and white predominated.

Paul Bartlett's excellent website suggests the same thing. By the 70s, most tankers were dirty silver with St Ivel white/orange being the next most common (on the WR at least). Other liveries (usually pretty worn) could still be seen but were not common.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmilktanks/h3d9c41c5#h3d9c41c5

I have found 1 blue tanker in my collection of 52s on milk trains from the early 70s. Silver/dirt is the most common although a couple of dull orangey/reds can also be seen.

post-887-0-58108700-1456183516.jpg

post-887-0-34851000-1456183540.jpg

post-887-0-71524000-1456183560.jpg

post-887-0-36616400-1456183586.jpg

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 12

• 8 months later...

If you scan through the earlier entries you will see this is nothing unusual.

Check the wheelsets. If you have happened on a couple with the original profile wheelsets, (flat tread, flange tapered on the inside faces of the wheels to a knife edge) change for alternative wheelsets or return for refund. These wheelsets are NBG.

If the wheel profile is good, check for the wagons rocking on the centre axle - centre axle positioned lower than the plane of the outer axles - if that is present test the wagons with the centre wheelset removed. If they run reliably as four wheelers, alter the centre axle locations to provide a little upward movement to eliminate the rock and all should be well. Invert wagon, put a bare pin point axle in the centre position, use a soldering iron to slightly heat the axle and push it down a tad: very gently does it, only the slightest adjustment required. Conform that the rocking is eliminated, and all should be well.

Hi all

I just purchased one of these lovely looking tanks from my local shop and found that it derailed very easily, especially when being pushed.

Placing it on a sheet of glass it was easy to see that the middle pair of wheels was causing it to rock, i.e. they are too high.

It's only a fraction but sufficient to cause the issue.

The two wheel sets from the tanker have been redeployed in a four wheel wagon and also run perfectly.

Hope this might help others.

Picture is after the changes.

Happy weekend

This is how I fixed mine, been fine ever since

• Like 1

If you scan through the earlier entries you will see this is nothing unusual.

Check the wheelsets. If you have happened on a couple with the original profile wheelsets, (flat tread, flange tapered on the inside faces of the wheels to a knife edge) change for alternative wheelsets or return for refund. These wheelsets are NBG.

If the wheel profile is good, check for the wagons rocking on the centre axle - centre axle positioned lower than the plane of the outer axles - if that is present test the wagons with the centre wheelset removed. If they run reliably as four wheelers, alter the centre axle locations to provide a little upward movement to eliminate the rock and all should be well. Invert wagon, put a bare pin point axle in the centre position, use a soldering iron to slightly heat the axle and push it down a tad: very gently does it, only the slightest adjustment required. Conform that the rocking is eliminated, and all should be well.

I agree. They tend to rock on the centre axles. I didn't have a running problem with mine but was wary of them feeling like they were teetering on the brink of derailing, so elongated the centre axle holes using a drill in the dremel. Like the soldering iron trick, gently does it.

I have added more weight in the tank to one of the seven I own, but the others seem to be a little more resistant to dismantling without damaging them.