Model Shops in Watford

MatthewEWS

"Junction 20" has been around for years - very occasionally they get some real gems in there. Shop front looks a bit tired and faded at the moment.

I once popped in there and asked whether the proprietor stocked Model Railway Journal. His reply was:

"No. We only stock modelling magazines."

I paused...then left.

The father of the chap who runs Transport Treasures at one time ran a shop in Farnham. Farnham near Burnham. Burnham as in Beeches.

Several shops in Watford are all long gone. Beaties, Rail Mail, one in Market Street who used to supply PCB soldered track .

Morris in Berko is long gone as are several shops in Hemel.

The nearest shop these days must be Model Railway Store in Leighton Buzzard but I have never been there.

At one time, when I first came to Hemel, there were two suppliers of Hornby Dublo, though neither carried much stock. Mind you that was in 1947.

Bernard

....The nearest shop these days must be Model Railway Store in Leighton Buzzard but I have never been there.....

I have.

Small shop tucked away at the back of an arcade. Very quiet, even though quite well-stocked. No signage on the pavement to publicise its presence; you'd have to actually have to know it was there. Vast majority would just walk past.

The opposite side of Watford from you, but there's KS Models in Stevenage.

Keith only operates Thursday Friday and Saturday now as he's semi-retired. He still has loads of finescale bits and Hornby spares at the back of the shop, though the prices of some of it may make your eyes water.....

The model railway store in leighton buzzard soon to be my shop next week hopefully which will be turned into AGR model railway store

Hopefully you'll have better luck getting the GW chimney castings and safety valves out of Springside Models than the current outfit has....

Hopefully you'll have better luck getting the GW chimney castings and safety valves out of Springside Models than the current outfit has....

After working for the TMRS and with springside, trying to get anything outside of thier figure / car range is like pulling teeth.

I will try again with AGR store and hopefully better luck.

Hmmm, I'm old enough to remember Railmail of Watford, 65 Vicarage Road - one of the pioneer 'box shifters' from the late 70s/early 80s....

(edit to confirm that it shut a long time ago)

I sadly remember the Tailors shop which sold s/h trains which was the business Railmail took over, it was the other side of the road of my uncles greengrocers (Southwoods)

There's a small shop a bit further north at Aston Clinton called Transport Treasures. It's a few years since I visited though:

http://www.transporttreasures.com/

Hi,

I visit Transport Treasures fairly regularly, since he did it up, it's a much nicer shop, although still as small, but it's got some bargains in there and it's quite well laid out.

Small shop in marlow - under a hardware store ! Can't recall the name.

Once got rather ripped off by one of the stores mentioned...near the motorway .

It's called Hunts, although it hasn't been the way you mentioned for quite a few years, currently the model section is at the back of the store on a road not far from Marlow Station, unfortunately, the stock levels have been very run down as of late, although we haven't been in there for at least 18 months, but reports from others haven't been good. I believe the run down is because of costs from their old store.

Otherwise, there is very little in the way of model shops in Bucks, we use Alton Model Center as our Closest Model Shop!

I have no connection to any of the stores above, just a happy costumer!

Simon

Archived