APT-E Factory Drawings

rapidotrains

EDIT 14 September 2014: Lots of new drawings

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88792-apt-e-factory-drawings/page-3&do=findComment&comment=1589494

EDIT 12 September 2014: The Sandwich

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87114-the-official-rapido-apt-e-thread/?p=1587120

Hi all,

I am on a complicated connection from China so apologies if this email appears a bit garbled.

Here are some drawings from the factory. We're very happy with the way it looks. Kit Spackman and the APT-E team are looking at the drawings in fine detail and they'll be doing plenty of rivet counting, so I'm confident we'll get the details right.  Kit wrote to me today that "The HK brake hoses should be diagonally opposite one another on the E1T bogies, not on the same axle." Glad he picked that one up...

The 3D design process is proving that the APT-E will look and operate better on broad curves.  This was a train that required a larger-than-normal loading gauge in the first place, so the model does as well.  What that means is - if you have tracks really close together and you have tight curves on your layout, make sure there is nothing (valuable) passing the APT-E on those tight curves....

Well.... that just posted from China before I was ready.  I was planning on prefacing each image but that's not happening.  

The image second from the bottom shows a see-through effect of the joint module on a curve.  The big bold wires will actually be buried under the floor but the 3D rendering program doesn't show that.

The joint module top is a press fit, and the wires plug into a PCB mounted on the joint module floor.

Bill or I will try to answer any questions you have.  But my connection from China is a bit rubbish.  By a bit rubbish I mean completely useless.  By completely useless I mean I am tempted to hang myself from the top floor of the hotel by my toenails as this would be less frustrating.

Best regards,

Jason

post-20909-0-53829400-1407247368_thumb.jpg

post-20909-0-35290500-1407247380_thumb.jpg

post-20909-0-97460000-1407247391_thumb.jpg

post-20909-0-31755400-1407247404_thumb.jpg

post-20909-0-06484500-1407247414_thumb.jpg

post-20909-0-14250000-1407247424_thumb.jpg

post-20909-0-09427700-1407247436_thumb.jpg

post-20909-0-72827200-1407247450_thumb.jpg

I understand it's early doors and that all of the lines shown may not necessarily be panel lines but the distinctive nose section join (which also crosses the face below the windscreen) doesn't show in the CADs above

Reference shot - http://www.old-dalby.com/images/APT-E%20outside%20control%20centre.jpg

Will that be captured on the model?

I understand it's early doors and that all of the lines shown may not necessarily be panel lines but the distinctive nose section join (which also crosses the face below the windscreen) doesn't show in the CADs above

Reference shot - http://www.old-dalby.com/images/APT-E%20outside%20control%20centre.jpg

Andy,

Many of the final surface details have not been added. Additionally, many of the lines that are visible in the CAD fimages are structure lines that define the shape but do not appear on the final model. All of this makes these images a little confusing sometimes! We'll make sure that the nose seam will be on the final model, but thanks for picking this up!

Bill

Bill Schneider

Rapido Trains

I can't see Kit sitting at a desk..............

Cheers,

Mick

Our engineer is having a hard time capturing Kit's 1970s hair style..... :>)

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Is the joint more visible because of a material/paint change?

Is the main structure unpainted aluminium and the nose painted GRP, for example?

Cheers,

Mick

Looks like its on an extremely tight curve!

That said looks good and looking forward to the pre-production and then production models

That's actually a very generous curve - 75cm radius.

Put this on a #2 radius curve and you can drive a Bristol K6A through the gaps.

Remember that our layout curves are much tighter than the real thing.  We are going to make the "spread out" between cars as minimal as possible on curves but we don't want the APT-E to be a "shelf queen."  It has to be able to run on most layouts.

We've also done some testing to ensure that it can handle tight vertical curves.  It can, unless you're trying to run it on a roller coaster.

While I am in China we are going to make a mockup of the coupling system and we'll see if we can tighten the spacing.

-Jason

While I'm not thinking of buying one of these, may I make a plea for clearances in the finished product for P4 and EM modellers who may wish to own one of these?

Stan

On the APT thread, they already stated the em and P4 wheels can be dropped in no problem.

That's looks spot on to me, after all I have spent a lot of time looking over drawings and pictures in my quest to build a model of the damn thing!

One question though, which type of trailer bogies will the model feature? Without looking at my pics of it at York, I seem to remember the train had three different types. The power bogies (ET/1?) and two different trailer bogies, the rebuilt swinging arm bogies and the type that are similar in appearance to the HAX4 Bogies fitted to Hastings. May have got some of the descriptions wrong as I am doing this from memory, but Kit will know what I mean.

Cheers

Shane

Not far off Shane,

APT-E had three types of bogie, The powered bogie (E1), swinging arm (only ever used once under E train), and a none powered version of the E1, coded E1/T  T being for trailer.

As a design concept, the swinging arm bogie was far too heavy, and suffered from  to much friction to be of any use on a high speed train.

Lucky for us, the NRM still had the swinging arm bogie, so we could use it to support the end of TC1, so at present, you can see all the types of bogies ever used on E train.

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Many of the final surface details have not been added. Additionally, many of the lines that are visible in the CAD fimages are structure lines that define the shape but do not appear on the final model. All of this makes these images a little confusing sometimes! We'll make sure that the nose seam will be on the final model, but thanks for picking this up!

Bill

Bill Schneider

Rapido Trains

Our engineer is having a hard time capturing Kit's 1970s hair style..... :>)

Bill

Brown static grass should do the trick

Not far off Shane,

APT-E had three types of bogie, The powered bogie (E1), swinging arm (only ever used once under E train), and a none powered version of the E1, coded E1/T T being for trailer.

As a design concept, the swinging arm bogie was far too heavy, and suffered from to much friction to be of any use on a high speed train.

Lucky for us, the NRM still had the swinging arm bogie, so we could use it to support the end of TC1, so at present, you can see all the types of bogies ever used on E train.

I've always been confused about the bogies and variants thereof. It is widely known that the original swinging arm bogies where no good in the original form when used under the APT-E and that they where rebuilt, but did they have a similar external appearance? Pics of the time look like they do but as I am nowhere near any reference material at the mo, I can't say for sure.

So which bogies will the model have, as it would be very useful for me to have the swinging arm bogies. Or should I continue with my brass and resin homebrew's?

Cheers

Shane

Hi Shane,

The model is being fitted with E1 and E1/T as like I said, after the first run, the swinging arm bogies where replaced with E1/T's.  As far as I know, the modified SA bogies where only ever used on POP train, and that very short lived indeed, and again as far I know, they looked the same as the normal SA's.

Me and Kit are looking over the latest drawings at present, in like Jason says, in fine detail.

Best keep the brass going, which I much say, if its the last few pics I saw are yours, then they look brilliant.

Regards

Paul

APT-E Conservation & Support Group.

IN the 1st picture it looks like it tilts very well, On the Hornby apt-p it didn't seem to tilt very much with its cam arrangement but when watching the apt round trip to Glasgow video the tilt on the real apt-p was very noticeable,

On the Hornby apt the cam is smaller at the cab end on the underside of the coach but bigger on the other bits.

So my question is will the tilt be more noticeable on the apt-e model than that of the Hornby apt-p?

• RMweb Premium

Think there needs to be a Jaw hit's the floor rating - as quite frankly 'Like' isn't good enough  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Jason's been in Canada long enough that he'll take as praise "Not bad" and as an accolade "Not bad at all".

Archived