APT-E Factory Drawings

rapidotrains

Looks really great, my only comment comes from being an end user. Which may be summed up as "How do I get her apart?"

This is usually something we address once we get the first samples, as it is near impossible to predict how easy or difficult it will be to disassemble a model just based on the design.

When we get the first tooling samples, if it's near impossible to disassemble then we will revise the connecting method.

With our FPA-4 locomotive (http://www.rapidotrains.com/fpa4.html) - we could not get the first samples open without destroying the thing.  We adjusted the clips.

But thanks for bringing that up as it's a very important point.

-Jason

I realise you guys are well into this now and I am late coming to the table, but I am just blown away that any manufacturer has taken so much trouble, including co-opting some of the original APT-E team and listening so intently to the ultimate purchasers. It is amazing and a massive congratulations to all concerned.

As a Scalefour member obviously I am looking at a model that can take P4 wheels so pleeeease don't compromise the model to make it go round dockside type track. Much better to adjust your track to suit than the other way round. (Or even make it P4!). 

Which brings me to a question. I do recall the APT-E being tested on the Western Region, with some well publicised pictures at Swindon. Unfortunately the old grey matter doesn't extend to recalling the extent of the testing. Presumably Something like Swindon - OOC or Reading I guess.

To get there can anyone say which route it took, (I don't recall it being carted off on the back of a lorry as it would be nowadays), and where it was serviced? I am guessing it must have been refuelled somewhere. 

Now whilst I am delving around in the loft through years of ROs does anyone have the answer to hand?

• RMweb Premium

Which brings me to a question. I do recall the APT-E being tested on the Western Region, with some well publicised pictures at Swindon. Unfortunately the old grey matter doesn't extend to recalling the extent of the testing. Presumably Something like Swindon - OOC or Reading I guess.

Lots more info on the other APT-E thread - this is a link to a pic of it at Swindon.

Cheers,

Mick

To get there can anyone say which route it took, (I don't recall it being carted off on the back of a lorry as it would be nowadays), and where it was serviced? I am guessing it must have been refuelled somewhere. 

Now whilst I am delving around in the loft through years of ROs does anyone have the answer to hand?

Yes, we did the Speed Record runs in August 1975 on the WR main line.

The actual test runs, on Sundays, were carried out from Uffington Loop to Goring Station approx, and the occupation ended just before the Thames Bridge, see pic below. We ran as far west as Swindon on Fridays and Saturdays but we were only cleared for 125 mph on those days. The train was stabled at Old Oak Common for the three week period of the tests and we got there via a circuitous route through North London. We had a road tanker fuel us up at Uffington before each test run as the fuel tanks were woefully small, see 2nd pic.

xhWAPK.jpg

CR0jhP.jpg

I would just like to thank Jason and all the guys at rapido for choosing the apt-e as their first uk model. From the first time I saw the prototype at shildon about five years ago I was hooked! And what an epic effort from a manufacturer listening to us moaning modellers, 3d scanning and a blog on rm web? I think other manufacturers need to seriously up their game! Just ordered mine with sound no (252) I think. Looking forward to warley, hope all goes well guys.

I would just like to thank Jason and all the guys at rapido for choosing the apt-e as their first uk model. From the first time I saw the prototype at shildon about five years ago I was hooked! And what an epic effort from a manufacturer listening to us moaning modellers, 3d scanning and a blog on rm web? I think other manufacturers need to seriously up their game! Just ordered mine with sound no (252) I think. Looking forward to warley, hope all goes well guys.

We're most welcome and thanks a lot for the kind words!

I got word that they've started cutting the steel.  They take a break this week for the autumn festival but then they are back at it.  We'll have some sort of bodge to display at Warley.

-Jason

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So excited about the prospect of this model - been hoping without believing until Rapido came along!  :yahoo_mini:

Looking at the model in the display on Saturday at the NEC one word came to mind - 'Wow'

Funds now allowing so today I have placed my order for the 'sound' fitted one - simply cannot wait.

Currently I have just commenced track laying and by coincidence starting with my RTC depot - or my meagre interpretation of it at least.

My question is (and I apologies if I have missed the answer elsewhere), 'What is the total length of the full 4 car model?' as I would like to make sure I have a siding long enough to accommodate it in my RTC depot.

Many thanks to all at Rapido for what I think is going to be a stunning representation of APT-E.

I'll also take a cheeky guess (like others) at HST Prototype Class 252 for the future - here's hoping!  :tomato:  :haha:

There will be a Rapido scanning party next year for the next model (which everyone is whispering will be a Dean goods to go on Jason's Great Western branchline layout).

I wonder how many people who saw the APT-E at Warley said "I had one of them APTs as a kid... Good to see one of these old Hornby ones on display!"

I wonder how many people who saw the APT-E at Warley said "I had one of them APTs as a kid... Good to see one of these old Hornby ones on display!"

Almost none as far as I heard, the great majority of the stand's visitors were true APT-E fans, and I was seriously impressed with the level of knowledge shown among them. That's especially considering how badly the train's history was, and sometimes still is, reported by the real railway media! I'm pleased to say that situation is improving now, maybe driven by the release of the Rapido model itself.

• RMweb Premium

I had to really fight my way through the crowd to get a glimpse. When I eventually punched through I had a little "moment".

And did you clean up the resulting mess..........? :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

I had to really fight my way through the crowd to get a glimpse. When I eventually punched through I had a little "moment". Even at this stage in its development, its worthy of all the praise being bestowed upon it

I think I was the second person there on Sunday. Doors opened at 9.15 and I went straight to the Rapido/Locomotion stand. Spent a good 45 minutes chatting to Bill, Jason and Kit. What a trio of great blokes to talk to.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guy,

Good question!

See the attached image, which is from a few weeks ago (so the bogie design is much simpler than the final version).  The bogies have been designed for OO, EM or 4mm/P4 wheelsets.

I am sure someone in the UK will design drop-in EM and P4 wheelsets before too long, and when we start production we will be happy to share wheelset dimensions with any UK after-market producer that wishes to make them.  We'll also be sure to include extra "Swiss Cheese" circles in the box so the wheelset supplier does not need to make them again.

-Jason

attachicon.gifAPT-E_Wheelsets.jpg

Just a quick question then. 

What are the dimensions of the real wheel-sets and has anyone taken up the mantle to produce or commission any to P4 standards yet?

(Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere)

Just a quick question then. 

What are the dimensions of the real wheel-sets and has anyone taken up the mantle to produce or commission any to P4 standards yet?

(Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere)

Hm, I've got some numbers somewhere but can't remember where, typical.

There were only two wheelset sizes used on the real thing, the E1 power bogie sets were a larger dia, and the articulated wheelsets were physically the same smaller ones on both the SA and E1T bogies.

Actually IIRC the wheelset frames were the same too, just the major portion of the SA bogie was thrown away. (good thing too....)

Archived