Pdk 47xx my new project

B15nac

Another quick update on the night owl. Started fitting transfers today an painted the wheels. I've used rail match BR green an after transfers I'm going to give it a varnish I'm after a ex works condition should I use gloss or satin?

Cheers Neil

post-15503-0-14916500-1413480762_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-90033500-1413480779_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-70414800-1413480796_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-65510600-1413480818_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Yes in most pictures I've seen they have brass safety valves I'm going to give mine a coat of gold paint. I agree the cab roof is a bit odd I made the roof the same shape as the front of the cab but I think it needs to be a bit rounder! School boy error maybe!

Cheers Neil

• Like 1

Thanks. I used a 1426 motor with 40:1 gearbox an flywheel. Pick ups are nickel silver .45 wire. Runs really nice. I've built it very much with help an tips from tony wright on the right tracks DVD! Very helpful to watch.

Cheers Neil

A few pictures to show anyone who is interested in the flywheel an motor combination! I had to cut out a bit of the boiler underneath to fit a flywheel but I don't mind. I will paint the flywheel to blend it in a bit. One of the down sides of small GWR firebox's. Let me no what you think.

Neil

post-15503-0-13326600-1413739797_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-55130900-1413739813_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-83722700-1413739838_thumb.jpg

post-15503-0-75860300-1413739855_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Quick question! I've fitted a high level gearbox an it's in two parts! Should they be soldered together when in the right position? I seem to have a slight rocking(waddle) when running but I have no tight spots on the chassis an it runs lovely an smooth with nice slow running. Any ideas? Any help would be great.

Regards Neil

Quick question! I've fitted a high level gearbox an it's in two parts! Should they be soldered together when in the right position? I seem to have a slight rocking(waddle) when running but I have no tight spots on the chassis an it runs lovely an smooth with nice slow running. Any ideas? Any help would be great.

Regards Neil

Which High Level gearbox is it?  The ones I have used are all a one piece etch with two folds.

TBH I don't like that cut-out in the boiler.  I would prefer to use a High Flier with the motor vertical inside the firebox.  I've built several 4-6-0 chassis like this and they run perfectly smoothly even at the slowest speeds with no flywheel.

Mike

I've used a road runner+ it's in two parts. it would be very difficult to get the body on an off with no cut out. I used this gearbox so I could move it back so it's almost touching the rear of the fire box an an so hanging over the rear axle.

Cheers Neil

I've got the gearbox all nice an sweet now! Runs very well at low speeds an no tight spots I've fixed the two parts of the gearbox together as well. Very happy with how it's all gone. I'm trying to think of any other little bits I could do to add detail before transfers an final varnish maybe cab seats an canvas hood?

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers Neil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

How is the loco coming along, has she been in action yet. Can't wait to see her in action.

Speaking of 47xx locos, I must say I am looking forward to seeing 4709 when she eventually takes to the rails, I hope she comes up to chester station one day because I will make sure I am there to see it happen.

I wonder to what extent it would be usable on the mainline - it would be speed restricted because of the driving wheel size and the length and weight distribution might not go down very well with the Civils plus the lever reverse was never much liked on passenger work (by the Firemen that is).  Is it intended for mainline use does anyone know?  At least the model can run wherever its owner pleases.

• 6 months later...

I have recently come back to this an done some more lining. I have had lots on with work an progress over the last 6 months has slowed up! But i need to finish this project off now so I will upload some more pictures soon! I used railmatch green an satin varnish but it's a little Matt so after I have finished the transfers I would like to give it a coat of something more shiny. Does anyone recommend any paint to get a ex works finish?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the nice comment Well I've not tested her pulling a train yet but there is lots of roam for weight. So she should be a good puller. She's in 00 scale an the wheels an motor/gearbox had to be got separately

Cheers Neil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...