Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

nice to see you are moving forward......mot enough pictures ;p....... :jester:

if you see any m and n in the wrong place its not my typing honest.....i have a dodgy keyboard at the moment.....nust go change it.....LOL

No,

its the G & T.

• RMweb Premium

Well I just had a good shot of Whisky in my coffee, so I should either sleep well or be hanging ladies knickers on the Lamp Post down the street.

Back tomorrow,

AND

I can still spell.

If you are out in the street holding ladies underwear you will be flying tonight... Well done for resting all day and resisting the shed and track making.

Well I just had a good shot of Whisky in my coffee, so I should either sleep well or be hanging ladies knickers on the Lamp Post down the street.

Back tomorrow,

AND

I can still spell.

We want pictures and keep off the grass as it can leave clues, trust me!

• RMweb Premium

I should be fine by the weekend, may even get all the points finished by Monday.

Track laid by Tuesday, scenery finished by Wednesday lunch time and the next layout started by Thursday morning. You can't keep a good bodger down!

• Like 2

Well today has seen the going of my beloved Bachmann Super D / G2A with the Locolines sound chip,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V5zYIs1z2A

A, I need the cash to fund the track,

and

B, it was out of area for Bitton,

Now I also have other Locos that are out of area for Bitton, but the Super D was well out of area, and as I needed to raise sum funds it has made sense.

My next main expense will be the back scene boards that I should get next week I hope.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

post-10059-0-43560700-1418246820_thumb.jpg

Perhaps I may be allowed to show my most recent construction just so that I can be considered a member of the club!

This one is 7mm and is hopefully to the same dimensions as a Peco one which it is designed to compliment. This is the test bed for a couple based on Templot templates to a 100" radius for the same layout (at our club).

My intention is to use these three points as practice pieces before I endeavour to build all the scenic section (4mm) points on my next layout.
  • Like 4

attachicon.gif10-12-14.jpg

Perhaps I may be allowed to show my most recent construction just so that I can be considered a member of the club!

This one is 7mm and is hopefully to the same dimensions as a Peco one which it is designed to compliment. This is the test bed for a couple based on Templot templates to a 100" radius for the same layout (at our club).

My intention is to use these three points as practice pieces before I endeavour to build all the scenic section (4mm) points on my next layout.

Evening Ray, yes its very relevant and nice to see such neat workmanship, I'm looking forward to seeing your 4mm version. 

attachicon.gif10-12-14.jpg

Excellent Ray, I wish I had the experience of 7mm before embarking headlong into copperclad and worse still C&L, lovely job mate.

• RMweb Premium

post-10059-0-64235200-1418305376.jpg

Here's the first of the two 100 inch radius points for the club 7mm layout. Unlike the previous one which was a re-make of a Blue Peter one - one that I made earlier (did you see what I did there?), this was built from scratch. The previous one was built before I learned of Brian's easier method of making the common crossing (frog), the latest was made using Brian's method and was a lot quicker.

With a bit of luck I'll have time to make another 100 inch one this afternoon, before I go to club.

The point was made from a Templot template. Consequently I'm a little puzzled that the divergent track is not curved throughout. The exit end looks straight on the template and as can be seen from the above that's mirrored in the point itself.

I wonder if that is because I used a previous template of a 100" inch curve to which I had insert a point and latterly set the point's geometry as straight. Apologies to those who struggle with Templot - I'm not much better myself, hopefully those with more experience may advise.

Apologies also to Andy for hijacking his thread but I suspect there will be a few followers of Bitton who are considering making their own points using Templot so hopefully this post will be of use.
  • Like 2

Hello Ray,

I always try to introduce a straight exit from the points I build. especially over the common crossing.  It almost makes check rails superfluous.  A chap called Wing Commander Burns published a series of three articles in the Model Railway News in the early 1960's on building pointwork.  I would love to reproduce it on RMW but not sure about copyright issues.  In it, he advocated the 'straight across the crossing' for reliable operation.  He also introduced me to the 'set' at the toe end of the point, which I have used in my pointwork for fifty years.  Hope all this makes some sort of sense to you.

The pic is of Canal Road being rebuilt with a crossover installed at the end of the platform.  EM gauge

Derek

post-6110-0-89835100-1418313366_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hello Ray,

I always try to introduce a straight exit from the points I build. especially over the common crossing.  It almost makes check rails superfluous.  A chap called Wing Commander Burns published a series of three articles in the Model Railway News in the early 1960's on building pointwork.  I would love to reproduce it on RMW but not sure about copyright issues.  In it, he advocated the 'straight across the crossing' for reliable operation.  He also introduced me to the 'set' at the toe end of the point, which I have used in my pointwork for fifty years.  Hope all this makes some sort of sense to you.

The pic is of Canal Road being rebuilt with a crossover installed at the end of the platform.  EM gauge

Derek

Hi Derek,

If its pre-1964 it MAY be okay to copy as I'm sure copyright expires after 50 years, I know I'm due to expire anytime soon Hahaha

• RMweb Gold

Templot offers you the choice of straight or curved crossings. Straight crossing were commonly used full size but were it was needed they PW gang would bend the crossing rails to suit. The crossing angle is the angle at the nose bit. Curving the rails beyond there will not change the angle, although in model form you may well bend the angle a bit if you are not careful.

For a crossover I would always advise a straight crossing that short length btween two opposite curves is very usuful to reduce the danger of buffer locking for the same reason I prefer crosssover to be a bit greater than the minimum radius.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Both of the points are for a sidings off a 100" radius curve with the curved element being the main line. I shall see how they fit on the layout at club this evening and then decide whether to curve the exit.

Many thanks for the comments and apologies once again to Andy for taking up some of his thread's page count - can we get to 150 pages before any grass is laid?

At least the discussion hardly mentioned s*u*a*g*s!

• Like 1