Evening Derek, I do take it easy, I do about an Hour and then have at least an Hours sit down, normally with a cuppa.

Its coming on a lot slower than I would like, but looking back at 3 Months ago this is remarkable progress.

Andy. Can you slow down please. At this rate you'll be on shed number 4 before any of us have a chance to build anything

Well just a little time before Lunch and so I fitted the Bus Bar to board 1.

The cable running through the Terminal Blocks are not bared or cut, they are only there to keep the cables neat and taught. 

attachicon.gifFirst Bus Bar 007.JPG

attachicon.gifFirst Bus Bar 008.JPG

I like that idea of keeping the cables taut and it looks very neat as well  :declare:

Also just noticed the glue gun has been used to good effect.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 1

I like that idea of keeping the cables taut and it looks very neat as well  :declare:

Also just noticed the glue gun has been used to good effect.

Evening Mick, Ahh yes the Hot Glue gun is ready and primed.

Normally I Hot Glue the cables to the base board, but this time I need to access them for fixing the droppers. it seemed an easy solution and I have handfuls of terminal blocks so why not use them.

• Like 1

Andy

Just a thought, as you are now laying track - have you thought about cosmetic fish plates? They would make the rail gaps look more 'real' particularly in photos, and are an extra bit of detail for minimal expense. As a bonus, as this is a fixed layout you only need to add them on the viewing side!

Steve

• Like 3

Andy

Just a thought, as you are now laying track - have you thought about cosmetic fish plates? They would make the rail gaps look more 'real' particularly in photos, and are an extra bit of detail for minimal expense. As a bonus, as this is a fixed layout you only need to add them on the viewing side!

Steve

Evening Steve, Yes I like the idea, but I wont be going down that route I'm afraid, not yet anyway. 

Cheers.

Hi Andy,

Goodness gracious me!

I didn't even realise you had got the decent track, now already some has been laid. Brilliant work Sir!

Am certainly enjoying keeping up with you but it's not easy.

Cheers,

John.

Evening John, I've had the SMP Track for several weeks, but with all the mess and bits lying around I was only using the second hand Peco to try things, in case I damaged the really good stuff, its so fragile.

Glad your enjoying the build, I certainly am.

• RMweb Premium

Evening John, I've had the SMP Track for several weeks, but with all the mess and bits lying around I was only using the second hand Peco to try things, in case I damaged the really good stuff, its so fragile.

Glad your enjoying the build, I certainly am.

I just hope you don't have to take any of the SMP up. Mine disintegrated very nicely, despite great care, on KL.

Andy - DON'T fix your Marcway turnouts down. I found the adjoining track and all the droppers/wiring under the turnouts - incl. the motors - held them firmly in place. It meant that I was able to remove all 45 turnouts - with ease - from KL.

Just a suggestion.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Andy

The shed looks really cosy mate. A proper man cabin. Also love the totems on the wall with the names of your layouts. Nice touch.

All the best.

Marcus

Cheers Mate, it has proved to be very warm, I have a night heater panel that I have on for 3 Hours a night and that seems all I need, its warm enough to work in without any backup.

I need Totems for Glen Roy, Deesdale Road, Kingsmill, Loch Leven and Fiddlers Yard at some stage.

• Like 4

Morning Andy,

Really beginning to come together well mate! Hopefully, if you should have to take anything up after glueing, a reasonably long blade from a retractable craft knife could be slid along through the underlay? Kind regards from another honest car salesman, HaHaHa,

Jock.

• Like 5

Afternoon all, Well as Lee couldn't make it today due to WORK, (what's that?), I decided to have a go with the Second Storage Yard Board myself this afternoon.

I had some plans.

post-9335-0-50549700-1421074141_thumb.jpg

And then with my Trusty Workmate and a blunt saw, I set to making the corner blocks, I needed 14 for the board.

post-9335-0-49658000-1421074217_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-80069800-1421074246_thumb.jpg

They didn't need to be to accurate, (good job really, as I'm SH1T at woodwork) as the 6mm Ply side will give it a vertical strength and a strait edge. (are you watching Jeff?)

And this is the result of a couple of Hours work, it would have been quicker but I had to keep having a rest when cutting every 4 or 5 blocks.

post-9335-0-74681700-1421074449_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-47279600-1421074464_thumb.jpg

Don't ask about the extra bit along the front. :O

I said DON'T ASK. :nono:

O.K. Its for a proposed branch line to a Terminus as Larry, (Coachman) has done on Delph. that will come off the Storage Yard above the work Bench and be able to operate on the Main Line as well for some extra operation at a later date, :sungum:  :sungum: and an excuse to make some more Points, hahhhaa.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Andy

I left school unable to even sharpen a pencil (as far as my woodwork teacher was concerned). I couldn't cut straight to save my life.

A few years ago I bought a new (hard point) saw on the spur of the moment. All of a sudden I can (usually) cut straight lines and if I try a little bit I can even do a reasonable job of cutting wood (fairly) square. That doesn't stop me getting the sizes wrong, but those cuts that I do make are acceptable. I'm even beginning to enjoy woodwork - which is good as I have to build the baseboards and supports for my new layout soon.

Can I suggest that you get a new (sharp) saw. You might even find that you don't need to stop for a rest so often! I did.

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 1

A gratuitous post for no reason other than I think this will be my 500th post and thought it would be nice that it appears on Bitton!

Looking forward to more updates later....

Thanks for that Steve, a nice thought, and well done on your 500th Post, may you have many more.

Andy

I left school unable to even sharpen a pencil (as far as my woodwork teacher was concerned). I couldn't cut straight to save my life.

A few years ago I bought a new (hard point) saw on the spur of the moment. All of a sudden I can (usually) cut straight lines and if I try a little bit I can even do a reasonable job of cutting wood (fairly) square. That doesn't stop me getting the sizes wrong, but those cuts that I do make are acceptable. I'm even beginning to enjoy woodwork - which is good as I have to build the baseboards and supports for my new layout soon.

Why not invest in a new (sharp) saw. You might even find that you don't need to stop for a rest so often! I did.

That would sound like a good plan Ray apart from one thing, and that is a new saw means I cant buy 2 new wagons, and mine works fine really, my other saw I bought when we had the Video Shops in the early 1980's and was used to build all the shop racking, counters, fit out the kitchen and then every baseboard since. My NEW one was actually given to me by my boy after he fitted our Kitchen when we moved in here last May, but he buys a new saw for almost every job.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sorry

Re-reading what I wrote sounded a bit authoritative. It wasn't meant to. I picked up on your comment about using a blunt saw and I'm convinced that the saws we had at school must have been blunt because of the way we misused them.

I'm sure that they severely dented my confidence and that in turn led me to hate woodwork for much of my life. It was only the impulse purchase of the new saw that seemed to change things, so much so that when that saw got blunt I insisted on buying another that was exactly the same. I'm certainly less reluctant now when it comes to woodworking and will even use the hand tools in preference to their powered cousins at times.

I didn't mean to offend.

Sorry

Re-reading what I wrote sounded a bit authoritative. It wasn't meant to. I picked up on your comment about using a blunt saw and I'm convinced that the saws we had at school must have been blunt because of the way we misused them.

I'm sure that they severely dented my confidence and that in turn led me to hate woodwork for much of my life. It was only the impulse purchase of the new saw that seemed to change things, so much so that when that saw got blunt I insisted on buying another that was exactly the same. I'm certainly less reluctant now when it comes to woodworking and will even use the hand tools in preference to their powered cousins at times.

I didn't mean to offend.

No Offence taken Ray, My Dad was a Carpenter and Joiner and then a Cabinet maker, before he moved into Engineering and Estimating for BP and then Colt International. He would CRINGE at the amount of sawdust I can produce just trying to cut a piece of wood square.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, Well as Lee couldn't make it today due to WORK, (what's that?), I decided to have a go with the Second Storage Yard Board myself this afternoon.

I had some plans.

attachicon.gifStorage Yard Board 2 004.JPG

And then with my Trusty Workmate and a blunt saw, I set to making the corner blocks, I needed 14 for the board.

attachicon.gifStorage Yard Board 2 001.JPG

attachicon.gifStorage Yard Board 2 003.JPG

They didn't need to be to accurate, (good job really, as I'm SH1T at woodwork) as the 6mm Ply side will give it a vertical strength and a strait edge. (are you watching Jeff?)

And this is the result of a couple of Hours work, it would have been quicker but I had to keep having a rest when cutting every 4 or 5 blocks.

attachicon.gifStorage Yard Board 2 005.JPG

attachicon.gifStorage Yard Board 2 006.JPG

Don't ask about the extra bit along the front. :O

I said DON'T ASK. :nono:

O.K. Its for a proposed branch line to a Terminus as Larry, (Coachman) has done on Delph. that will come off the Storage Yard above the work Bench and be able to operate on the Main Line as well for some extra operation at a later date, :sungum:  :sungum: and an excuse to make some more Points, hahhhaa.

Don't you think using 6mm ply is a little bit over-engineered for you, Andy?  :jester:  :jester:

Hey - IF IT WORKS - and I'm sure it will, go for it!

Jeff

Modern hard-point saws - even the budget-priced ones - are so much better than those I had growing up and doing woodwork at school in the sixties......think of the equipment that the GWR gauge conversion gangs probably struggled with in May1892...... :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Also, apologies Andy for going off-thread again for a minute, but for those of you who find your jobs a bit 'boring' and monotonous, think of the two man team that spent most of their working lives back around the turn of the century converting the whole length of one of the Welsh NG railways from 2 bolt fishplates to 4!  I can't imagine how good their drill-bits were but at least when they got up each morning they knew exactly what they would be doing for the day.......

• Like 8