4 EPB 5357/5358

retbsignalman

Hi!

Can anyone help please? I'm after a pic or two of BR standard 4EPB units 5357/5358 for a project please. They seem to be particularly camera shy!

These were the units with B4(S) bogies fitted to the trailers in a bid to make the long distance commute to/from Eastbourne and London Bridge a little more bearable...quite how with no toilets or gangways to access them is a bit of a mystery, but still....!

Even after relegation to suburbia they retained these bogies until I believe they were withdrawn

Any pointers gratefully received!

Ta in advance,

Graeme

• RMweb Gold

0647 Eastbourne - LB, ECS to Streatham Hill, ECS to Vic for the 1751 - Vic-Eastbourne, I think.

They also had "express" traction-motor gearing, of course, to work satisfactorily with main-line units. While it was acceptable to work a mix of units, provided at least 50% was main-line geared, this would not help performance, and punctuality on the Central needed all the help it could get.

As for the lack of loos affecting the comfort of patrons, no doubt like every other commuter train much of the user did not travel anything like the full Eastbourne - London or v-v trip.

Hi!

Can anyone help please? I'm after a pic or two of BR standard 4EPB units 5357/5358 for a project please. They seem to be particularly camera shy!

These were the units with B4(S) bogies fitted to the trailers in a bid to make the long distance commute to/from Eastbourne and London Bridge a little more bearable...quite how with no toilets or gangways to access them is a bit of a mystery, but still....!

Even after relegation to suburbia they retained these bogies until I believe they were withdrawn

Ta in advance,

Graeme

According to Gould: in 1965, 5357/58 were equipped with coil-sprung B5(S) bogies for the previously mentioned Eastbourne services. By 1981, only 5358 was so equipped, by which time it was allocated to Slade Green.

There is a photo of 5358 in green with small yellow panels at Eastbourne in June 1965.  It is on page 9 of 'Slam Doors on the Southern' by Michael Welch (Capital Transport).  The EPB is berthed and is partially obscured by other stock.  The bogies are not visible and only one DMBS and part of a TS can be seen. 

The 5357-70 batch were all withdrawn in the mid-1980s and none was facelifted.  Blue asbestos insulation condemned the BR Standard 4 EPBs early on apart from the 25 that were facelifted.

The ends were not the same as an ex-Tyneside 2-EPB as 5357-70 had cab windows where the outer edges followed the curve of the bodyside rather than being straight. 

They also had other typical features of the period such as prominent window frames and individual gutters over each door.

This is another of the batch in later life:

11139344404_2d3d264fac.jpg4-EPB_5369 by robertcwp, on Flickr

Finding photos of any of this batch in green is very difficult.

There is a BTF film clip which shows a Cep/EPB/Cep formation speeding south of Gatwick Airport station but I can't remember which DVD it is on.  I don't think you can see much detail and I cannot recall whether the EPB is a BR one.

Hi!

Ta in advance,

Graeme

Graeme.

What are you hoping these photos will show.

Ends, sides, tops???

Cheers

Dave

The ends were not the same as an ex-Tyneside 2-EPB as 5357-70 had cab windows where the outer edges followed the curve of the bodyside rather than being straight. 

Would these be the same window frames as the 1963 type express units (VEPS, CIGS, REPs etc)? They appear to be the same size and shape.

Hi Dave,

Graeme.

What are you hoping these photos will show.

Ends, sides, tops???

Cheers

Dave

I'm really after a shot or two of the ends and either a full on/three quarter view of one or both of the trailers (showing the B5S bogies) or indeed the whole unit. The roof detail on later EPB stock is pretty much standard, with a clean profile and little or no conduit.

Thank you for the answers so far!! :D

Cheers Graeme

Would these be the same window frames as the 1963 type express units (VEPS, CIGS, REPs etc)? They appear to be the same size and shape.

I don't know if the cab windows were the same but they were certainly tapered like those on CIGs etc.  To illustrate the difference compared to a 'Tyneside' 2 EPB:

Ex-Tyneside:

2382585579_9642af6750.jpg2-EPB_5787_ClaphamJ_24-6-75 by robertcwp, on Flickr

One of the final batch of 2 Hap units, which had the same ends as 5357-70:

2450482998_133e7ce619.jpg2-HAP_6163_Sittingbourne_26-3-78_m by robertcwp, on Flickr

The ex-Tyneside 2EPBs were built at the same time as the first batch of SR 2EPBs, so are effectively 1951-stock and have the rounded-corner rectangular windows that were being included at the time. When they were transferred south in 1963/64 the SR had to build in a roller-blind indicator to replace the LNER 5-light route indicator and destination blind and therefore used the smaller blind window that was then the standard.

Archived