The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

F1 Focus

Edge

loved hamiltons move overtake around the outside of rosberg!

it would have been an even better scrap between him and button if he hadnt pitted, if he'd got past the renault etc which I think he would have

Buttons idea to pit when he did was brilliant.

with regards Lewis pop at the team, Its always funny how us brits dont like to hear our stars moaning.

I suppose it is unsporting what he said, the lad was full of adrenaline when he was interviewed

people forget how much mansell used to moan, even when he had won an easy race smile.gif

dont put our stars down, love them!

theyve not had enough testing to know if the tyres would have lasted, years ago they would have fell apart and hamilton would have been looked good as he went passed as the front guys pitted, shows how good the tyres are this year.

Mike

loved hamiltons move overtake around the outside of rosberg!

it would have been an even better scrap between him and button if he hadnt pitted, if he'd got past the renault etc which I think he would have

Buttons idea to pit when he did was brilliant.

with regards Lewis pop at the team, Its always funny how us brits dont like to hear our stars moaning.

I suppose it is unsporting what he said, the lad was full of adrenaline when he was interviewed

people forget how much mansell used to moan, even when he had won an easy race smile.gif

dont put our stars down, love them!

theyve not had enough testing to know if the tyres would have lasted, years ago they would have fell apart and hamilton would have been looked good as he went passed as the front guys pitted, shows how good the tyres are this year.

Mike

I have to say I agree with you on this one Mike. Lewis Hamilton is certainly no angel but I'm getting right miffed at people using every opportunity to knock him… it's just getting tedious.

He arrives in Melbourne to a face full of questions about 'Liargate' … a year ago for pity's sake, but the journos have to have something to hang a news story on! Then joy of joys, he wheelspins his car out of the circuit and gets nabbed by the local fuzz. Now, I'm not condoning such behaviour but I've heard reports that it was a road closed off to the public at the time.

Bearing in mind that such an act would normally get a slap on the wrist, getting his car impounded and probably a massive fine was bad enough but instead of the Transport chief using the opportunity to encourage Hamilton to take part in a road safety campaign, he simply calls him a "d**k head"… and, unbelievably, that is the word used in the safety campaign!!!

No wonder Mark Webber said he's "p***sed off" when he goes back to "nanny state Melbourne". So the press has even more to dig at when Hamilton qualifies badly and behind Jenson– plus he's without his father to advise, so obviously he must be lost and can't handle himself!

Still on the subject of being a hooligan in cars, long gone are the days when we used to admire the F1 driver stories of old – the likes of Gilles Villeneuve or Ayrton Senna driving around Europe to and from races absolutely as fast as their cars could go in every conceivable road condition. There's even a short film called Rendezvous showing a nose-mounted camera view of a sporty car racing round Paris at dawn driven by an F1 pilot… and it's brilliant. Now a driver 'loses traction' and he's a disgrace to F1 (according to one F1 forum contributor) and a menace to society. Astounding!

As for his 'rant'… it just beggars belief that it's causing such a concern when for years top drivers have whinged and moaned over the team radio when things haven't gone to plan. The kid was on track for second place and could even possibly have harrassed Jenson for the lead, so whatever justifiable reason his team had for calling him in, they unwittingly screwed his race.

Admittedly, Lewis could have made the call to stay out, as Button did to come in early in the race but that shows his relative lack of experience compared with Button, which is something people seem to conveniently ignore when making the inevitable comparisons between the two.

When I read some of the puerile, negative comments and even sense the downright hatred on F1 forums – I have to say, directed at Hamilton more than anyone else – it makes me cringe and I wonder what has brought about this attitude that never used to be so strong amongst rival F1 fans. Too much too soon, seems to be one aspect of Hamilton that some people can't cope with. Too much hype is another… well, blame the flippin' press!!! Even some who grudgingly accept his talent start their forum comments with 'Lucky boy Hammy (or similar) is not my favourite driver, but…' Aaagh!

After all that – sorry :rolleyes: – the Oz race was great and Jenson did a spot-on job to be in the right place at the right time. Hopefully there will be more races like this and one quick rule fix I'm sure could help the racing spectacle a tad is the single tyre rule from 2005!

Very Delayed Australian Gp Report

Okay, I know that almost everyone here will have seen the Grand Prix or be aware of its events, but for those who have not, here is a brief report:

Race began with a wet track, and a first corner incident between Schumacher, Alonso and Button. Schumacher had to pit, and Alonso was dropped back to last place. Button ran unscathed.

Track began to dry, Button was the first in to change to dry tyres, and he jumped to second as a result. Alonso and Schumacher both made progress through the pack and the Red Bulls left it far too long to change to dry tyres. After their stops, Webber was well down the order and Vettel barely retained the lead.

Hamilton pitted for fresh dry tyres, and was easily the fastest car until he encountered the Ferraris, which he could not overtake. He was, erm, vocal about his opinions. Especially when Webber ran into him.

Results:

1. Button

2. Kubica

3. Massa

4. Alonso

5. Rosberg

6. Hamilton

7. Liuzzi

8. Barichello

9. Webber

10. Schumacher

In other News:

- Virgin have been granted permission to change their chassis after they discovered that their fuel tank was too small (Doh!)

- Rumours abound that Webber will retire from F1 at the end of this year, to be replaced by a returning Kimi Raikonnen at Red Bull

- Hamilton was none too pleased at McLarens bad strategy call in Australia.

- Vettel says that it was brake failure, Brembo says that it wasn't. Lauda says that Red Bull are in serious danger of removing themselves from the title fight.

- Schumacher insists that he is just getting back into the swing of things. I personally hope so (long time Schumacher fan, don't want to see his reputation tarnished by a failed comeback).

On a personal note, I am no fan of Lewis Hamilton. (It's nothing specific, I just don't like him much)But I do think that everyone is making a storm in a teacup about his actions since his dad stopped being his manager. Please everyone, lets cut the guy some slack

That seems to be it, will try to get the Malaysian GP report up faster on Sunday.

Melbourne was thankfully more entertaining than round 1, and we got a Brit winner.

Hamilton being nabbed for spinning his wheels as he left the track was just an example of a local flatfoot flexing his muscles. Nobody got hurt, it's just that anything showing the least sign of individualism and/or exuberance these days has to be crushed (wherever you are in the world). Naturally, all the whingers and tree-huggers are sticking their two penn'orth in about his driving. Pathetic.

He was less than ecstatic about the second pit stop fouling his race up, but at least he didn't throw a hissy fit like Barrichello did last year.

I don't reckon much to the BBC's method of showing the next race on sunday. First hour on BBC 1 then switching to BBC 2. It's about time they took the licence payers into account.

What I don't understand is why it can't start on BBC2 and stay there, or stay on BBC1 and put the other stuff on BBC2.

Seriously, I don't get this whole 'BBC1 is somehow special' thing at all. Why mess people about. I mean, it's not as if some people can only get BBC1 and not BBC2...

• RMweb Gold

Back-to-front grid in Sepang, guys, except for the front couple of rows, so the race will be quite fun, especially as the weather promises to intervene, as it surely did in practice. Some mighty scalps taken by lesser teams in Q1, mainly due to arrogance & complacency.

Rule 1 In Practice : Get out there and get a banker lap in pronto - things may go wrong.

Rule 1 In Wet Practice : Get out there and get a banker lap in extra pronto - things may get worse!

Certain Championship-winning teams to note, please!

Back-to-front grid in Sepang, guys, except for the front couple of rows, so the race will be quite fun, especially as the weather promises to intervene, as it surely did in practice. Some mighty scalps taken by lesser teams in Q1, mainly due to arrogance & complacency.

Rule 1 In Practice : Get out there and get a banker lap in pronto - things may go wrong.

Rule 1 In Wet Practice : Get out there and get a banker lap in extra pronto - things may get worse!

Certain Championship-winning teams to note, please!

To the likes of you and I, Rule 1 and 2 would be stating the bl**din' obvious but with certain F1 teams?!? Well, they do seem operate in a different environment… either on another planet or up their own jacksies!!! Beyond belief!

Another tedious procession apart from Alfonso Bonso cooking his engine one lap from the finish trying to overtake Button in a car that wouldn't downshift through the gears right, whether it was already going into meltdown before he shot up the inside is open to speculation. Highlight of yesterday mornings qualifying has to be Eddie Jordan doing his best to keep a fish alive under either armpit. :icon_eek:

Having just watched the opening round of the touring cars it would appear the inability of F1 TV producers and editors to focus on anything of interest or to replay key incidents has now spread to other forms of the sport.

Malaysian GP Report

Well, the promised rain never turned up, thus ruining what I thought was a promising race. The start was impressive, with Barichello stalling, Hamilton making up eight places, Massa making up a similar number, and Schumacher makign two. Vettel took the lead into the first corner. After that, it settled down into something of a procession, with the retirements of Schuamcher and Alonso the only really notable events. Button tried to repeat his early stop to victory strategy from Australia, and it nearly worked. Excessive tyre wear killed his chances of a really good finish though.

Unusually, the Red Bulls sorted out their reliability problems, and came home a well-deserved 1 - 2.

1. Vettel

2. Webber

3. Rosberg

4. Kubica

5. Sutil

6. Hamilton

7. Massa

8. Button

9. Algesuari

10. Hulkenburg

So, three races, three different winners, for three different teams. The chamionship is looking like a good scrap even if the races themselves aren't.

Well there it is. Having tinkered with the scoring with the desire to make wins more significant, the series is now led by a guy without a win. That is plain funny: and with so many drivers in with a shout of winning someone who consistently bangs in podium finishes could win the series without winning a single race. Don't expect F or M will make such a hash of qualifying for the remainder of the season, that painful lesson should be fully absorbed by now.

Fingers crossed for Rosberg or Kubica winning in China.

Having read some complaints in various forums that Malaysia was a yawnfest I wonder if I'm watching with rose-tinted specs.

Formula One has never been an overtakathon since aero efficiency has become the primary focus and cars have found it difficult

to pass – which has been for many, many years. Obviously, it could be better but it's certainly not this year's phenomenon.

The Malaysian GP may have lacked the drama of Australia, due to lack of rain but it was still pretty good for plenty of passing –

admittedly not for the lead. In Oz Button won comfortably so in the end that race fell relatively flat, with cars 'stuck' behind

each other after a very promising start.

Still, in terms or racing for the lead, which is what I presume the 'complaints' are about, the last two races have offered

no less interest than the entire first half of last season which seemed to have many jumping for joy… I can only

presume at the novelty of seeing Brawn and Red Bull, not Ferrari or McLaren at the head of the field. There certainly didn't

appear to be the desperate calls for improving the show then, despite Brawn's double diffuser effectively killing-off any

challenge in the championship. Not only that, if there was any 'passing' it was usually done in the pits.

Let's give it time. The championship is brewing nicely and we still haven't had a true test of how Red Bull, Ferrari and

McLaren (and even Mercedes) compare under normal* conditions – and there may be races where the tyres are more extreme.

The good thing about the scoring system is that Massa's position can't last without a win… unless we have the freaky situation

where there are something like 10 different winners who have otherwise had very few finishes.

As for next year's regs… what could spice up the racing is getting rid of double diffusers and any silly extremities such as bargeboards

and turning vanes, making the wings 'normal' size again but making them less efficient, replacing carbon brakes with steel to increase

braking distances and reverting to the one tyre rule (one tyre for the entire race)… remember 2005?

* Normal: in dry conditions and when top teams are not shooting themselves in the foot!

• RMweb Gold

I see Adrian Newey is questioning the safety aspect of the F vent on the McLarens - but he says that it may be unsafe on chassis where it is an add-on, while the McLaren has been designed around it. So playing catch-up for the remaining teams - a game that has gone on in F1 since Fangio was driving - may be more tricky this year, as basic chassis design is frozen when the season starts. Mind you, Red Bull's current pace doesn't exactly make you feel sorry for them if they cannot make the vent work on their existing chassis!

There will be a good spread of different race winners this season. Hamilton, Massa and Webber are all experienced and capable of wins, and are in definitely competitive cars, they will all score at least a win or two this season, and Alonso, Button and Vettel are clearly in with a chance of more wins. So that's six drivers winning races. Kubica, Rosberg, Schumacher; the first two have decent finishes to their credit already, and Michael needs no explanation. There will be more races where matters don't proceed quite to plan for one or more of the Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull cars, and maybe some circumstances where the Merc or Renault is the best car on the day. That could easily lead to nine different winners in 2010. And if we have a real freak show or two of a race, Barrichello knows the way to the finish line, Sutil and Alguesuari for sure have the ability. Could well finish up with the winner's in double figures; which would be nice.

If the season looks like shaping up that way, team orders will start pretty soon...

There will be a good spread of different race winners this season. Hamilton, Massa and Webber are all experienced and capable of wins, and are in definitely competitive cars, they will all score at least a win or two this season, and Alonso, Button and Vettel are clearly in with a chance of more wins. So that's six drivers winning races. Kubica, Rosberg, Schumacher; the first two have decent finishes to their credit already, and Michael needs no explanation. There will be more races where matters don't proceed quite to plan for one or more of the Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull cars, and maybe some circumstances where the Merc or Renault is the best car on the day. That could easily lead to nine different winners in 2010. And if we have a real freak show or two of a race, Barrichello knows the way to the finish line, Sutil and Alguesuari for sure have the ability. Could well finish up with the winner's in double figures; which would be nice.

If the season looks like shaping up that way, team orders will start pretty soon...

I don't doubt you one bit about the number of potential winners – and I hope you're right as it could potentially produce a classic season if that's the case.

What I doubt is that more significant of those race winners will either win or not score, thus leaving us with a champion without a race win as you suggest with Massa

– OK, Vettel started that way but I don't see it continuing.

As far as the F-duct is concerned McLaren says that it's been developed over the past two years, so regardless of the chassis homologation problems,

I can't eveb see the genius Adrian Newey getting it to be efficient for some time. If he manages, everyone else might as well go home.

• 2 weeks later...

That was unbelieveable, in all my years watching motorsport either as a Marshall or on TV I've never seen anything like that!!! :O :O

What I did find funny though was Buemi trying to steer the car away from the barrier as he crossed the grass and concrete before he hits the kitty litter. Watch the video http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8624282.stm especially around 2 Mins 30 Secs.

I know its pure reaction, and probably something we'd all do, but it's quite funny watching a Professional Racing driver trying to steer a car with no front wheels :D :D

But at least he's ok and nothing more serious happened to him, Marshalls or Spectators, especially as one of his wheels ended up over the 'safety' barrier, now that is worrying!!!

Regards

Neal.

Didn't see qualifying, but the race was excellent. It's just adding to my feeling that if the weather won't oblige, the local fire services will have to be brought in to douse the track at random intervals and for variable durations...

Nico Rosberg continues to impress. He's yet to be sitting in the best car on the day, but keeps hanging in there for a respectable points total. That sort of consistency must be repaid with a win if there is any natural justice.

• 1 month later...

Archived