The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

F1 Focus

Edge

Well, its that time of the year again. The wrappings have come off the cars, and the drivers have lapped them around a circuit a few times. It seems an oppourtune moment to open a thread based on the 2010 F1 season.

Applause please

icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif

Anyway, the big story this year is the return of Michael Schumacher to the Mercedes team. Alonso is now driving for Ferrari, Button for McLaren, and Kubica for a Renault that isn't really a Renault anymore. Four new teams are setting up on the grid, although there are a few doubts surrounding the Campos and USF1 teams.

IMHO, the cars this year all look a bit, well, ugly. And the bee scheme on the Renault does not do a lot to help the situation. So far in testing (although no-one has any idea what sort of fuel load anyone is on), the Ferrari has looked quick, shortly followed by the Mercedes and the Sauber. However, very early (and therefore probably totally wrong)rumours might suggest that McLaren might have duffed up the Aero again

icon_redface.gif

Anyway, enough with my meaningless rambling. Here's to potentially the most exciting F1 season for a long time

I think I'm most thrilled by the return of a Lotus Branded car to the track. My dad and I have restored one of the Team Lotus company cars over the last decade, and while I wish they had chosen to have the black with gold leaf livery, the thrill of the word "lotus" in F1 again will be enough for me. Guess who I'll be supporting this year! :lol:

I agree its nice to see "Lotus" back in F1 albeit in name only. Fingers crossed they don't make a mess of it.

I'd like to see the old boy give the young'uns a kicking although its a shame Nico has a minimum of one year as another Rubens/Eddie.

The Lewis Vs Jenson - well it may well be a walk over but heavier cars will eat tyres and Lewis does eat tyres and Jenson is one of the smoothest drivers out there (hence why he can't cope with a poor setup)

I think the betting should start on how long it takes for Teflonso and Massa to come to blows. I'd even put a bit of money down that Kimi is back in a Ferrari by the end of the year.

And then theres the comedian in the Red Bull with probably his best chance at the title. Keeps his head down and his mouth shut (as he does)and picks up the pieces from the clash of the collective egos.

I suppose it'll all boil down to who has worked/pushed the aero rules the most this year. Braun did it to excellent effect last year, leaving everyone else playing catchup.

Will be interesting to see how Schumacher weighs up against the current crop of drivers. Will Mercedes give him the godlike status he enjoyed at Ferrari?

As for Lewis v Button, as much as I would like to see Them really push each other, I think Lewis is a bit like the Schumacher of old with the team centered around him.

Roll on the new season, processonal races, no overtaking with near identcal cars (no kers this year?) And the usual slew or corruption and cotroversies. Can't wait!

As ever, I don't care who wins or for what team: what I want is three, four, five, (or more!) cars close enough in performance, that the championship is up for grabs as late into the season as possible; ideally with that driver line up, half a dozen of them get to the final race of the season with the title still open to them.

I can do the Murray Walkeresque grid commentary for that final ideal race: " Ind here we are for the most stupendous conclusion to a formula one season since God moved to solids; let's remind ourselves of the unbelievable situation, a season of the closest, fastest, most exciting motor racing ever seen has delivered the position that today sees the leading eight drivers on the grid each with two wins, two second places, two thirds, two fourths, two fifths, two sixths, two sevenths, and two eighths, and if my arithmetic is correct that means they all have the same points and the same placings countback so there is nothing between them today and astoundingly whoever wins, wins." Inhales.

If it really is close between the teams, then expect to see team orders come in early. The no refuelling situation offers a very interesting team strategy, and I wonder if the rules have been framed to prevent it. It all comes down to having a way to secure pole on the grid reliably. Basically fuel the B driver's car for 80% race distance - he wins pole - and the A driver's car slightly light on fuel for the distance- he ideally slots third on the grid - relying on him running second in the slipstream of his team mate for 80% of the race saving fuel to enable his light car to get home, and then taking the lead when the B car runs dry, and the win. It's 'only' ten points instead of a potential maximum 18, but if there are four teams all realistically in with a shout of the win, ten points is more than quarter of the thirty nine points on offer, and wins trump all else in count back. Risky, but it may well be worthwhile on the fast tracks.

Only 2 days of testing run and the doomsayers are out in force. There's a long way to go yet!

Massa looks hot-to-trot. Can Alonso cope with him?

The Sauber looks hideous with it's extended "shark-fin". I hope such things don't become the norm.

The new points system (7 points between first and second places) should encourage drivers to go for wins rather than just pick up points. That's the drivers who CAN go for wins, of course.

• RMweb Gold

Only 2 days of testing run and the doomsayers are out in force. There's a long way to go yet!

Massa looks hot-to-trot. Can Alonso cope with him?

The Sauber looks hideous with it's extended "shark-fin". I hope such things don't become the norm.

The new points system (7 points between first and second places) should encourage drivers to go for wins rather than just pick up points. That's the drivers who CAN go for wins, of course.

Or it means that the team with the fastest car have sown up the championship before the season is half way though.... If it had been done that way last year, Jenson would have won a lot earlier...

Combine that with the removal of fuel stops, I suspect its going to be a case of a lot of precession races, especially with some of the useless new track designs...

... Massa looks hot-to-trot. Can Alonso cope with him? ...

On a wet track Fred will eat him alive. In the dry, all else being equal, they are as quick as each other. Fred didn't win two championships going backwards; with a fast car under him he's to be reckoned with. Is he the only guy now on the grid who raced and beat a certain M Schumacher in F1?

Well I've voted, noting that it's who you'd like to win, not who do think will win. Big difference!

I think this year's car from the Scuderia looks much better now they've regained the white that disappeared when Vodafone jumped to McLaren, though the Renault would look much better without the Total red bits. I really don't know about local boy Jense going to McLaren, it'll either be great or awful, with a lot of potential for Hamilton to walk over, not necessarily through skill, but through preferences, whether intentional or not, and Lewis's comfort of being in an environment he's at home with, much like Button previously at BAR/Honda/Brawn. I do subscribe to the school of thought that the Germans at Mercedes made it difficult for him to renew - isn't Schumy getting a hell of a lot more $$$ than Button was offered?

Much as I'm a great Button fan, I've never liked McLaren, probably a part of growing up with the fierce Ferrari - McLaren rivalry of a few years back. tongue.gif

Roll on the 14th of March!

jo

Well I've voted, noting that it's who you'd like to win, not who do think will win. Big difference!

Yep, that one was quite deliberate. Didn't think that with only two days of testing down that there could be any realistic guesses.

My dad and I have restored one of the Team Lotus company cars over the last decade, and while I wish they had chosen to have the black with gold leaf livery...

I suspect that that classic livery might be a bit controversial if used today - after all, our fine government (no sarcasm filter on this site, clearly) are talking about removing branding from cigarette packets, so I doubt whether a car with "John Player Special" emblazoned on it would go down too well...

As for this year, I really don't mind who wins. The exciting thing is having 4 World Champions on the grid, and lots of new teams and driver combinations. The sheer number of cars on the grid will be quite something - 20 was never enough.

Oh, and I've just seen pictures of the all-computer-designed (ie no wind tunnel) Virgin F1 car. That's one pointy beast!

I rather like the way the Sauber looks, both in shape and livery. The Virgin and McLaren look OK, livery wise, the Toro Rosso is OK-ish. Not too impressed about the looks of the others.

The part between the front wheel on the McLaren is very much lover as the Mercedes, noses differ somewhat, but overall, it's all much of the same, in first impression.

I give Sauber a good chance. Have really become a fan of Kobayashi, in what he has shown us in the last few races. De La Rosa is quite a nice chap as well. I wish the team all the best.

Am a fan of Button, not so of McLaren anymore, that's long in the past. Neither a Ferrari fan ever. Was somewhat of a Renault fan, but that team has let us all too much down.

Regards, Michel

... I've gone for Sebastian Vettel .. fancy his chances in 2010, assuming the car performs ...

Exactly, there are six drivers in this poll list who have either won the world championship, or who have demonstrated season long performance to finish as near runner up to the chamionship winner. At least one of them is sitting in what is likely to be the best overall car (two 'dark horse' seasons in a row is too improbable, surely?). What will make it fun is if the best car happens to have two of these proven drivers in it... Personally I think there could be a lot of Ferrari souvenirs to be picked up from those tracks where it is possible for spectators to quickly get onto the course post race.

I suspect that that classic livery might be a bit controversial if used today - after all, our fine government (no sarcasm filter on this site, clearly) are talking about removing branding from cigarette packets, so I doubt whether a car with "John Player Special" emblazoned on it would go down too well...

I only wanted the black with gold trim... :unsure: :lol:

But I do agree chap - might not go down well at all!

It was still one of the best looking cars on the circuit with the jet black and gold leaf though...

The new Lotus has had it's first run in the original green and yellow livery. It probably won't race in that colour scheme but it might win them a few more fans, even though it's not a 'proper' Lotus.

An amusing scene at Jerez testing. Webber's Red Bull stopped out on the track and he placed his skid-lid on the track behind the car to stop the snappers getting shots of the diffuser. Spies everywhere!

• RMweb Gold

Without trying to be slightly off topic, it would of been good to have seen Sebastion loeb in the last few races last year possibly this year, but then the FIA say he can't have a superlicense, bit odd for a 6 times (on the trot) WRC champion, can't be age look at schuey.

Also nice to see Kimi has moved over to the dark side, saw him last year in Finland and was enjoyable to watch, think he'll do well and doesn't seem bothered about returning to F1.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here is a round-up of the latest news/feeling about the new F1 Season:

Ferrari: Looking quick. Generally considered to be the fastest car during testing. Very few reliability problems as well. Definite title contenders.

McLaren: Not as quick as Ferrari, but faster than Red Bull, Mercedes and Renault. Best reliability of anybody on the grid. Another team that is in contention

Red Bull: Moments of genuine pace, but seeming reliability problems. Several engine/gearbox failures do not bode well for the coming season. Still quick, but they are not the favourites to carry the title.

Mercedes: The most disappointing of the top four teams. It is a bad idea to ever count the Schumacher/Brawn combination out of contention, but their pace has not looked stellar. Major upgrades for Bahrain, so, who knows? Outside title contenders

Sauber: Sauber appears to be the Brawn of 2010. Whilst not title contenders, they have consistently punched above their weight in testing times. With Kobayashi and De La Rosa as their drivers, it is quite possible that they can spring a major upset.

Renault: Have suprised a few people in the paddock with their pace. Not on a par with the top four teams, but they have had solid reliability. Could maybe challenge for a race win or two this year.

Williams: Another suprisingly quick team. The combination of Barichello and Hulkenburg already seems to be paying dividends. They have not had rock solid reliability, nor blistering pace; but the Williams team is definitely capable of springing a suprise or two in 2010.

Force India: Not an awful lot of coverage on their new car. It has looked solid, if unspectacular, and the team of Sutil and Liuzzi will continue. Whether they can emulate their brilliant 2009 is yet to be seen.

Torro Rosso: For the first time since their entry onto the grid, Torro Rosso has had to design and build their own car from scratch. It has topped the timesheets once or twice, but it seems that another year of low reliability and competitiveness waits in the wings for Red Bull Junior.

Lotus: Seemingly the most competitive of the newcomer teams, Lotus has a slim chance of scoring a point or two in 2010. Their experienced driver combo seems to be more about experience and team building rather than outright pace. Tony Fernandes will probably will win the bet he made with Richard Branson.

Virgin: The only other newcomer team to make any of the pre-season tests. Virgin have not had an impressive time. Their front wing showed a nasty habit of falling off, and when that was fixed, their hydraulics kept on destroying themselves. May score a point of two, as they have talented drivers, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Campos: Campos are in the unenviable position of having to turn up at the first race without haveing done any testing whatsoever on their car. It seems likely that Bruno Senna will partner either Jose Lopez or Karun Chandhok. The chances of this team scoring anything in theri debut season are minimal.

USF1: It will be a miracle is USF1 can make the grid in 2010. They are in dire financial peril, and their staff do not know if they will be paid. With less than a month to go before the Bahrain Grand Prix, their car has yet to be assembled, or tested, or developed, or shipped to the Middle East. Their sole driver, Jose Lopez, looks set to attempt to jump ship to Campos. If they do race, they will not make thir debut until the Spanish Grand Prix.

Stefan GP?: Whilst Stefan F1 do not have an official Grid Slot for 2010, the seemingly inevitable demise of USF1 has opened the door for them. Whilst they have suffered setbacks with attempted private tests, their car is developed from last year's Toyota, and so could prove to be suprisingly competitive if it ends up on the grid. Watch this space...

In other news:

- Despite gossip to the contrary, Michael Schumacher's neck is fine. His physio was at the first test session only as a precaution.

- It seems to be even odds as to whether Bridgestone or Michelin will be the supplier of tyres next year. The FIA seems to be keen on convincing Bridgstone to stay.

- The future of Campos seems to have been secured after a buyout. Adrian Campos has been replaced as team principal, and the team insist that they will be at Bahrain.

- It is possible that Stefan GP will buy the grid slot currently owned by USF1. There was a remote talk of a merger between the two teams, but it seems that USF1 has so little to merge with, it would be a pointless exercise.

- If Stefan GP do begin the 2010 season, their likely driver lineup would be Kazuki Nakajima (already signed) and Jaques Villeneuve or Ralf Schumacher.

- Stefan GP has already sent several containers of equipment to Bahrain in anticipation of being granted a late entry.

- Charlie Whiting has been sent to the USF1 base by the FIA. The exact reason for his visit has yet to be announced by the FIA, but it seems likely that he was evaluating their position. It is likely that there will be an announcement concerning the future of USF1 in the next week.

Okay guys, the vast majority of this is rumour and gossip. Ergo, a lot of it will turn out to be wrong. Please don't shout at me if I did get something wrong, it is quite difficult to tell anything before the first race starts.

15 Days to the Bahrain GP! Yay!

At one of the last GPs of last season Eddie Jordan asked Bernie Ecclestone if we would see all the new teams on the grid this year. "No" said Bernie. Asked which team(s) he had doubts about he immediately said "USF1". Maybe he knew something about them back then.

.... and to think that other, more capable, outfits were turned down from joining the championship.

Even before the season starts Manor (Virgin) F1 is the leading newcomer. Ee by gum! We've had an F1 world champion born in Yorkshire, now we've got a F1 team!

Hi Guys,

Another update here:

- USF1 has officially petitioned the FIA to defer their entry to 2011. It now seems likely that they will have their grid slot taken from them, and it will be awarded to Stefan GP.

- Jaques Villeneuve yesterday visited the Stefan GP factory for a seat fitting. Seems almost certain that the Stefan GP team has signed him for 2010.

- Mercedes will introduce a huge and potentially controversial upgrade package in Bahrain, including a new 'super diffuser'. They expect that this will give them another few tenths of performance. There have been rumblings as to it's legality.

- Schumacher says that McLaren are the threat, Hamilton says that it is Ferrari, and Massa reckons it is Mercedes. It looks like a close year between these three and Red Bull.

Well, that's enough updates for now. Will report back when there is something of substance about the 13th team on the grid.

- Stefan GP has been denied a grid slot for 2010, with the FIA citing the lack of time to organise anything before the first race. Only 24 cars will contest the 2010 world championship. Some tweaks to points and qualifying may be necessary, but none have been announced yet.

- USF1 has made an application to submit an entry for 2011. FIA has said they will announce the selection process for 2011 in due course.

- Karun Chandhok has filled the last empty seat on the grid, at Hispania F1.

9 Days Left to Bahrain GP!

Archived