Is it possible for a Ltd edition Bachmann/NRM D200 with new tooling

43078shildoncountydurham

Hi all,

I was at the NRM Saturday afternoon with my family and as the play area for my 4 year old daughter is nicely next door to the tent thingy I called into see the old girl, looks like some work has been done on her, but to me she still looks sad, so i thought what if and I know a big what if, would Bachmann/NRM do a special, ltd edition and some of the money from each purchase goes towards helping her back to mainline rail...

Sorry if it's this has been asked before but just think she's to important just to sit in there forever.....

Many regards

Craig

• RMweb Gold

Didnt model rail do one a few years back?

It was the old tooling though so maybe an upgrade is in order

Btw the thread title is a bit misleading, it looks like one is being produced rather than a question about the possibility of one

Didnt model rail do one a few years back?

It was the old tooling though so maybe an upgrade is in order

Btw the thread title is a bit misleading, it looks like one is being produced rather than a question about the possibility of one

Hi Big Jim

Yeah think you are correct about the thread title.... :-(

Regards

Craig

Hi

We do have D200 (or possibly blue as 40 122) as an option in our forward plans, based on the new Bachmann tooling.

If there were significant interest and forward pre orders we could bring it forward, but at the moment we are not certain we would have sufficient demand at 2014/15 prices at this time.

Perhaps through this thread we could learn a bit more, see just what level of interest there is and for which version including whether people would like a DCC ready, fitted or sound.

Just to confirm an important point made in the initial post, and that is that profits from sales of locomotionmodels/NRM exclusives do go solely to support the museum and its collection for the benefit of our visitors over and above what would be funded by Government for a National museum, so that could include contributing to a restoration which otherwise would not be affordable.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

For me it would have to be finished in the same livery as the model rail one!

1980s 40122/D200 green with full yellow ends, to be honest i dont remember class 40s that mich and D200 is the only one i clearly remember on the national network

Bachmann tend not to allow ltd models to be redone they will allow similar such as V2 Green Arrow in LNER green was done as ltd edition but standard release was done as mainline preserved with warning flashes for the subsequent releases. There would need to be some difference in the model even if only a small one.

I'd be a definite purchaser in whichever livery was ultimately chosen for a model of D200.

In respect of concerns over current price levels - I think we're now alive to that fact that these will only increase as time moves on. At present, only the green disc sound version is currently in Bachmann's catalogue. Seems to be a few still stocking the centre headcode GSYP option too, but the blue split headcode seem to be like hens teeth. I'm sure a blue disc would be a popular option (should that be the choice), so as not to conflict with the previously issued ltd. edition.

I think a bit of work would possibly be needed to sort the moulded lamp irons out (which were achieved as separate items on the split box version) - subtle differences too with roof on the initial batch of 10 locos?

May be worth putting an 'expression of interest form' out there?

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I would really like a model of D200 in green with the small yellow panel as it was when it ran on the last tour with headboard.

Remember seeing it at Peterborough and there was certainly a good crowd there to see it.

Guest spet0114

Just a suggestion, but I recall reading that when first outshopped in green (i.e. after the big overhaul in '82/83), the half yellow warning panel was somehow incorrect, so it was hastily taken back into the works (Toton?) and ammended. If there are photos of this, it might make for an interesting 'limited edition' or similar....

• RMweb Premium

I'd certainly like a model of D200 - in fact, I suggested this to one of Locomotion's representatives at the NRM, I think it was during the Great Gathering, but not sure whether the hint was noted!

However I'd only buy an all green version, as originally built or as now preserved (not sure whether there are any significant differences?).

I must admit, it's not so much that I want a model of D200 per se, but more that as far as I know Bachmann haven't previously produced or announced the version I'm after, i.e. disc headcodes, plain green, no yellow bits, no names, no DCC sound.  I realise they've made a couple of 'namers' (one of which has sound), but whilst I'm happy to renumber a loco (even a Locomotion exclusive!), I don't think I could remove a printed nameplate without leaving a trace on the side of the loco.

Just a suggestion, but I recall reading that when first outshopped in green (i.e. after the big overhaul in '82/83), the half yellow warning panel was somehow incorrect, so it was hastily taken back into the works (Toton?) and ammended. If there are photos of this, it might make for an interesting 'limited edition' or similar....

When outshopped from Toton the yellow panel was the wrong shape and the top of it was extended out around the tail lights meaning it looked a bit T shaped with a very fat trunk and very short top bar, there was a picture in Rail Enthusiast at the time.

It was taken back into the paintshop and never entered service like it.

edit-

Nope it wasnt what I wrote above, it was actually too wide and went outside the tail lights, there is a small picture of it in the October 1983 edition of Rail Enthusiast on page 31, I am sure there is a bigger picture of it in another edition but I cant find it yet.

When outshopped from Toton the yellow panel was the wrong shape and the top of it was extended out around the tail lights meaning it looked a bit T shaped with a very fat trunk and very short top bar, there was a picture in Rail Enthusiast at the time.

It was taken back into the paintshop and never entered service like it.

Theres a pic on flickr here of it before it got repainted.

Or how about the Grey Lady version

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63923883@N03/14236681452/in/photolist-nG3Hp3-bAvWNB-aaL6GZ-nuxTR7-nmhXdJ-a8XGTN

both the above not my photos.

Personally I prefer the Green FYE from the 1980's like this one of mine

post-12740-0-62928500-1408404088.jpg

40122 + 44767 at Carlisle with 1Z10 Carlisle - Kilmarnock BR Special "The Nith Valley Express" I believe this was BR cashing in on a move to get the Steam loco to Scotland. 40122 piloted 44767 under the wires to Annan where 44767 worked to Kilmarnock then 40122 worked the train back to Carlisle.

Steve

Bachmann tend not to allow ltd models to be redone they will allow similar such as V2 Green Arrow in LNER green was done as ltd edition but standard release was done as mainline preserved with warning flashes for the subsequent releases. There would need to be some difference in the model even if only a small one.

It would be the new tooling and therefore a far more accurate model than the earlier effort.  I would have thought that justification enough within itself...

Archived