Shawbury Foregate Mk2 (N gauge BR late 80's)

1977joey

Hi Chaps,

I've finally made a start on my new layout. As it sais on the tin, it is again going to be a loose representation of operations at Shrewsbury in the late 80's with similar platform layout.

This time I have a baseboard of 8' in length x 2' 8" so plenty of room for a decent track plan, & I'm able to use a minimum of 2nd radius curves on the mainline area's aswell as medium points. It was using first radius led into problems on the last layout I had. It's a continuous oval with hidden sidings at the rear. It won't be DCC either, but i'm not ruling this out in the future.

The layout will include a big station based on Shrewsbury's Platform layout, also carriage/DMU sidings. There will be 7 Platforms though 1 & 2 bays are only used for stabling loco's aswell as the Class 08 station pilot, Platform 3 a through Platform (Bi directional), Platform 4 north & south (Bi directional & permissive working), bay Platforms 5 & 6, & platform 7 which is mainly for through trains going south.

There will also be 3 carriage/DMU sidings that curve south from the station area to represent the one's at Abbey Foregate, obviously mine are on the opposite side.

Trains will represent the 2 hourly 'InterCity's' to/from London Euston normally Class 47 hauled or whatever is rostered at Wolverhampton to replace the electric, also the Cambrian coast express through to Aberystwyth will feature with just the standard coaches going forward from Shewsbury behind a '37'.

DMU's & Class 150 Sprinters on the local services to Crewe & Chester via Wrexham, Wolverhampton & Birmingham. The heart of wales dmu service will also feature, I have a 'Tren-Y-Cwm/Valley Trains' branded Class 108 for that service ;)

The Cambrian line to Aberystwyth & Pwllheli mainly worked by Class 150/1 Sprinters, aswell as the daily InterCity.

The North & West route from Liverpool/Manchester to Cardiff will be operated by Loco hauled stock of Mark 1 or 2 coaches supplemented by Class 150/2 Sprinters (the most modern traction on the layout). I will also run with modellers licence an InterCity 125 service from Newcastle to Swansea & return via Shewsbury Foregate instead of Birmingham.

On the freight side, I have stock to represent the Margam/Llanwern to Dee Marsh steel coil train & also the Weekly Stanlow to Aberystwyth petroleum train that will be Class 25 hauled. More to come over the months hopefully & as finances permit.

post-5923-0-49711800-1408313915.jpg

This is the track plan, there may be some tweaks..

post-5923-0-77099200-1408313910.jpg

& work has started...

post-5923-0-08019400-1408313913.jpg

post-5923-0-67033700-1408313914.jpg

Hopefully all the track should be fixed into place & trains running on my next post....

Cheers for now guys,

Mark :)

Welcome back Mark, looking forward to seeing this develop.

Thanks Woodenhead :) Glad to be back...

You are a brave man Mark that's some project your taking on , I look forward to seeing this layout develop especially the signal box at the Abbey end !!!!!

Thanks Gismorail, it will be loosely based on it, & I will be using the signal box I made for my old layout 'Shawbury' when I sort out where it will go.

post-5923-0-91862200-1408318000.jpg

This is it....

All the best,

Mark

I like it Mark not bad especially in N gauge It will set the scene nicely at the Abbey end of the layout. Are you going to model the river going beneath the end of the platform at this end and the  low road bridges at the Crewe / Chester end .

I like it Mark not bad especially in N gauge It will set the scene nicely at the Abbey end of the layout. Are you going to model the river going beneath the end of the platform at this end and the  low road bridges at the Crewe / Chester end .

Hi Gismorail,

Once the track plan is all fixed into place, i'll be able to see what I can fit on the layout scenicwise. If you click on the link of my old layout 'Shawbury Foregate' that will show what I did with with that as it was based on the same location. This will probably be a similar thing, but I had less room & a much smaller board to work with on that layout. It was the use of first radius track & points that led to it's demise.

I'm thinking of having the station front on a higher level than the actual station, & the roads at the north end going over the railway rather than under it...all fictional I know, but I also have my storage sidings to consider, & these will need to be hidden, so the townscape could go over them.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Glad to see a new layout in the making, look forward to see it develop.

Graham.

Thanks Graham,

i have some new track & sets of points coming this week so can hopefully be getting on with the track laying....the part I hate haha!  :scratchhead:

Good to see Shawbury back. As with your previous layout inspiring me to get on with my plans for modeling further up the Cambrian line, although my grand plan of the terminus at Aber seams to have hit the rock.

Thanks Simon, 

Aww no :(, was really looking forward to seeing your creation of Aber, is this a temporary set back?

All the best,

Mark

Good to see the model coming on, spent many hours there in the 80's. Got lots of pics if you want to see some. You can even use a NSE 47 on the Euston if you wish.

Paul.

Thanks Paul,

I only used to either stop there en-route between Aberystwyth & Wolverhampton or change trains there during that time, but it was always a busy station & I was always fascinated with the place, aswell as Wolverhampton. Living in Aberystwyth in my late childhood (late 80's) it was always great to see other traction apart from Class 150's at the time.

I'd love to see the pictures you have :).

I have some NSE mark 2's on order (when they are released) for my Liverpool/Manchester - Cardiff trains to mix & match with my blue & grey one's :) 

I think the odd Class 50 was used too between Wolves & Shrewsbury, think I saw some pics on the flikr site :)

mark,

From your old forum bit, what did you guess for the glass well what size depth wise?

Not going to lie I like it and well will more than likely steal the ideal well the glass bit from you

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

it was clear plasicard I used, was about 1/2mm thick from what I recall. I've kept the valance off the old roof to use on the new one on this layout when i get round to it :)

All the best,

Mark

Thanks Graham,

i have some new track & sets of points coming this week so can hopefully be getting on with the track laying....the part I hate haha!  :scratchhead:

Thanks Simon, 

Aww no :(, was really looking forward to seeing your creation of Aber, is this a temporary set back?

All the best,

Mark

I'm hoping to get a Cambrian themed layout on the roll but having played around with any rail it looks like even a reduced version of Aber may be trying to fit a quart into a pint pot. I am currently playing with stations along the Newtown-Machynlleth section for inspiration, but then that's a conversation for my thread.

Great idea for a layout with plenty of operational interest.

Have you considered use of the proposed Peco setrack curved points that are due out shortly - they are radius 2/3 and could help create a smoother curve at the ends of the layout.

The big problem is that the release date is unclear and I am sure you want to get on building. I used Minitrix curved points on my layout Molinnis and you will see on the forum that they caused problems.

Regards

Nick

I'm hoping to get a Cambrian themed layout on the roll but having played around with any rail it looks like even a reduced version of Aber may be trying to fit a quart into a pint pot. I am currently playing with stations along the Newtown-Machynlleth section for inspiration, but then that's a conversation for my thread.

Hope to see it develop Simon, sounds like a good plan, especially the early privatisation era :)

Great to see you back building Mark :) looks like it's going to be a bustling station!

Thanks Simon,

It will be hopefully...it's proper bare board & track at the moment. I'm glad to have it there to start working on though as it's took months to sort out the bedroom & to get new baseboards for the new layout etc :)  Is Gresby still in storage?

Great idea for a layout with plenty of operational interest.

Have you considered use of the proposed Peco setrack curved points that are due out shortly - they are radius 2/3 and could help create a smoother curve at the ends of the layout.

The big problem is that the release date is unclear and I am sure you want to get on building. I used Minitrix curved points on my layout Molinnis and you will see on the forum that they caused problems.

Regards

Nick

Thanks Nick,

I didn't know they were going to do those no. Shame as i've ordered medium straight points now, but it should all fit hopefully. I can always tweak the track later on if i'm not happy. It's mainly the carriage/DMU sidings that would have benefited. 

All the best :)

Mark

• RMweb Premium

It is :( there's no space in my flat for it at the mo, so I've been concentrating on sorting my stock out and dreaming up smaller temporary electrified layouts... If I can find somewhere to put it!

Looking forward to watching Shewbury :)

Cheers

Simon

Hi, Mark,

Nice to see this layout, especially with that corporate blue era theme.

My in-laws live up at Shrewsbury and I took these photos whilst visiting them recently.

Hope they are of interest or perhaps help with your modelling. 

Andy

post-4299-0-60721100-1408478696.jpg

post-4299-0-37136400-1408478717.jpg

post-4299-0-00211700-1408478739.jpg

post-4299-0-19533000-1408478758.jpg

post-4299-0-70017100-1408478789.jpg

post-4299-0-40610500-1408478818.jpg

post-4299-0-10516400-1408478843.jpg

post-4299-0-40490400-1408478885.jpg

post-4299-0-11804600-1408478917.jpg

post-4299-0-15172200-1408478962.jpg

post-4299-0-07358800-1408478998.jpg

post-4299-0-55336000-1408479042.jpg

post-4299-0-36096600-1408479101.jpg

Hi Mark,

Will dig out my Shrewsbury album and will post pics, took pics of signal boxes,signals and other bits as well as locos. 50's used to pull the York mail train as well, so did anything that needed to get back north, pics of 47 713 to follow. The locos that went through Town were incredible, 08, 20, 24, 25, 31, 33, 37, 40, 44, 45, 46, 47, 50, 56, 58 and 60 plus lots of preserved waterboilers will fit in your timescale.

Paul

Hi, Mark,

Nice to see this layout, especially with that corporate blue era theme.

My in-laws live up at Shrewsbury and I took these photos whilst visiting them recently.

Hope they are of interest or perhaps help with your modelling. 

Andy

attachicon.gifBallater14 004.JPG

attachicon.gifBallater14 005.JPG

attachicon.gifBallater14 007.JPG

attachicon.gifBallater14 008.JPG

attachicon.gifBallater14 009.JPG

attachicon.gifBallater14 010.JPG

attachicon.gifBallater14 011.JPG

attachicon.gifBallater14 013.JPG

attachicon.gifBallater14 017.JPG

attachicon.gifBallater14 019.JPG

attachicon.gifBallater14 020.JPG

attachicon.gifBallater14 021.JPG

attachicon.gifBallater14 024.JPG

Hi Andy,

Thankyou for that, wow there's some cracking shots you have there :D  

I've rescued my valance off my old station roof to recreate a similar canopy as can be seen on Platform 4. I won't be building any canopies down the bay platforms as on my last attempt I found that it obscured the views of the trains. Though I will build a similar 60's style one down the south end of Platform 3, they demolished that one at Shrewsbury in the late 90's & kept the one's over bay Platforms 5 & 6 instead.

Hi Mark,

Will dig out my Shrewsbury album and will post pics, took pics of signal boxes,signals and other bits as well as locos. 50's used to pull the York mail train as well, so did anything that needed to get back north, pics of 47 713 to follow. The locos that went through Town were incredible, 08, 20, 24, 25, 31, 33, 37, 40, 44, 45, 46, 47, 50, 56, 58 and 60 plus lots of preserved waterboilers will fit in your timescale.

Paul

Sounds great Paul,

shall look forward to seeing these :)

All the best,

mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

A bit of an update, though from the pictures it doesn't look like i've done much, but all the trackwork for the station area & DMU/Carriage sidings is now complete. I just need to finish the rear part of the continuous loop & also the storage sidings at the back. I'm hoping I can construct the platforms next week. A lot of structures from my old 'Shawbury' layout have been saved & will be used again on this layout.

Here is the story upto yet....

post-5923-0-22930400-1409658612.jpg

This first shot is showing the DMU/Carriage sidings

post-5923-0-62502200-1409658614.jpg

Looking south

post-5923-0-18213600-1409658618.jpg

Another look south showing 'Shewsbury Foregate No1' signal box

post-5923-0-00511800-1409658620.jpg

Now looking North. the Class 08 & Class 25 are in what will be the old platforms 1 & 2 which are stabling sidings. The Class 56 is in the centre road. The Loco hauled train is on what will become platform 4, with the Class 101 set on what will become bay Platform 6.

post-5923-0-91940300-1409658621.jpg

The Class 108 DMU is at what will become Platform 3 (North end) The loco hauled train is at Platform 4 & on the right will be Platform 7.

post-5923-0-97004600-1409658623.jpg

& a final look south from what will become Platform 6.

I will update again when the Platforms are constructed which shouldn't be too long hopefully :)

Cheers guys,

Mark

Good to see you back Mark.

Good luck with the new project, I will be checking for updates daily!

Thanks for the inspiration too!

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark :)

Unfortunately i'm unable to do a picture update for a few days as my phone has developed a fault & had to be sent back to Samsung for repair. I'm happy to say though, the track work is finished on all the main part of the layout & wired up, so I've been able to run the trains (aswell as testing my new Class 25 :P). I just need to finish the storage roads at the rear & then I'll start constructing the station :)

All the best,

Mark

Archived