The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Somewhere in the Forest of Dean

On Sunday Don Corbet was on Driver for a £5 in the morning, with the Hunslet taking over in the afternoon.

My only criticism was that the platforms apart from Lydney are only long enough for four coaches so no chance to talk to the crews or take some close up shots of the cab detail.

On the up side I did get to take some pictures of the front of Orchard signal box. Thanks chaps.

Gordon A

Bristol

• 3 weeks later...

I visited the Forest of Dean's Lydney Model Railway Exhibition at the Dean Academy this morning - and it was truly excellent. Anyone who didn't go today should definitely visit Sunday (tomorrow 27th Sep). This was my first non-national show and I have to say it was more fun than even Warley. The layouts were very good, the layout operators were really friendly, and lots of action could be seen. I spent ages talking to Dr Paul who was building a Metcalfe kit of a church for a Forest of Dean Model Railway Club N gauge layout of Baynards next year - and also spoke at length with DFR's Rob Aplin who had the points layout for the Parkend signal box with him. The hot freshly cooked bacon baps were great too!!

I took photos on a little Panasonic CSC camera and the RAW files need processing over the next day or so - but I will leave you with the Dad's Army crew on the live steam layout whilst I do this. More later.

_1010909_zpshrmwlzbz.jpg

Edited by ParkeNd
  • Like 3

Further to my comments on the exhibition forum. The stand out layouts were Brimscombe from the Shirehampton Club, a superb N gauge layout, Snake Bend N from the Worcester 'N' gauge Group as well as Alkerton Road with DCC and realistic sounds. 

Abergavenny Brecon Road was very well modelled within the space allowed with superb details, but let down by its operation. 

Lydney Model Railway Show - here are a few photos with the details as I remember them.

Abergavenny Brecon Road by Richard Cox.

_1010903_zpsnfq2oqff.jpg

_1010902_zpsuuq7svzc.jpg

Tennessee Extraction Company. Just about everything moved. By Slim Gauge Circle.

_1010918_zpsgqqeivfv.jpg

Brimscombe in N by Shirehampton MRC. Long.

_1010925_zpsbinkqxfa.jpg

_1010911_zpsirzrlqnc.jpg

_1010912_zpslk6x4vwo.jpg

Castle Wharf Kendall in 009. By Ian Kirkwood. Short but far more characterful than many others.

_1010919_zpsxagjr4sk.jpg

Hollow Fosse in TT. By John Thomas. Actually didn't look that much smaller than OO which surprised me. Every item was scratch built of course - stock, buildings, and track.

_1010906_zpsyzgymkfr.jpg

Wartime OO - I think.

_1010928_zpsuvg252bl.jpg

A demo of electronic doodads. In a quiet location this proved that model railway sound is not a waste of time despite some forums which expect to 'feel the thunderous base in their guts" or it's no good.

_1010926_zpsi8srazio.jpg

A funfair in OO scale by Martin Nash.

_1010922_zpswt5tfws5.jpg

There was much more but 12 photos is more than enough least you all get bored. It's a flavour anyway.

Edited by ParkeNd
  • Like 4

Plenty of variety there! Looks to be a decent Show!

I like the model of Brimscombe in particular:- looks very authentic. I couldn't believe it circa 1998-ish when the "King & Castle" Pub opposite the station changed it's sign from a GWR engine to chess pieces!! Sacriledge!!!! :mad:

Wednesday runnings are starting to taper off as October approaches so I tried to make the most of what is left and visited Whitecroft this morning. My plan was to photograph the 10.53 leaving Whitecroft for Parkend but managed to miss it by about 3 minutes!!  So I was left with the next journey at the same place which was 12.30 and bright bright bright. This is from one of the crossings down the line from the station towards Parkend.

_DSC0855_zpsjdntdhrl.jpg

_DSC0859_zpswmnivvg0.jpg

_DSC0862_zpszyqmv29n.jpg

_DSC0865_zpsatqqcqcj.jpg

What train dear? I really didn't hear it - was there just one?  :music_mini:

_DSC0867_zps3qgadkwq.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Following the news that slope tank prairie 5541 was "turned" using the low loader for the visiting Class 08 before it left I now plan to go and get some photos of it travelling the "right" way round like Wilbert does. There are much better photo opportunities with it facing that way. 

Its always a revelation to see houses so close to railway lines. Somewhere there has to be a legal limit to how close they can be built, especially in this day and age.Brian.

The Railway - and probably that house - was built long before "this day and age", & such inconvenient things as 'legal limits' ;) :yes:

Following the news that slope tank prairie 5541 was "turned" using the low loader ....

That's one way to turn a locomotive, sans turntable!!

• RMweb Gold

Nice pictures of the Lydney show, we thoroughly enjoyed it! Abergavenny Brecon Road won best layout in show in the end (know as the silver chair - we actually do have one on a plinth and its damn heavy!) which was well deserved in my book.

Was that the same low loader that brought Thomas to the DFR?

Thomas isn't at the DFR yet, it was the low loader that took visiting Class 14 'Eric' back to the East Lancashire Railway - it also turned Mk1 RMB 1803 whilst it was here as it was difficult to operate and service the generator the way round it was. :-) I agree the photographic oppurtunities have now increased with the engine that way round, you also get more steam as its facing uphill!

• Like 1

Hi all

just though this may interested you all   took from the DFR facebook page -

This Sunday (25th Oct) we will be hosting the launch of a new book, that will be of interest to all Severn & Wye Railway fans.
The books authors will be at the shop in Norchard signing copies and answering any questions you may have, between 10.30 and 4pm

12107264_973704952671660_134729192793565
 I be there  to get a copy
rob :)
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I know that this is a popular thread among Forest aficionados.

Ron Fisher ('45669') has posted a thread in the 'Prototype - Preservation' section that may be of interest.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104152-dean-forest-railway-a-few-pictures/

There is a link there to his Flickr pages where there are some recent FDR shots BUT there are also some colour and b/w shots of the two Severn Boar (brake van) railtours that ran in 1964 with 16xx panniers.  

They are absolutely superb so, if you have missed his post, go and have a look.

I know that this is a popular thread among Forest aficionados.

Ron Fisher ('45669') has posted a thread in the 'Prototype - Preservation' section that may be of interest.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104152-dean-forest-railway-a-few-pictures/

There is a link there to his Flickr pages where there are some recent FDR shots BUT there are also some colour and b/w shots of the two Severn Boar (brake van) railtours that ran in 1964 with 16xx panniers.  

They are absolutely superb so, if you have missed his post, go and have a look.

Thanks TimC.

I met Ron Fisher at Parkend about two weeks ago and he gave me a paper slip pre-printed with the URL of all his photos currently scanned. I'm working through them and I have to say it's quite a legacy.

Following the news that slope tank prairie 5541 was "turned" using the low loader for the visiting Class 08 before it left I now plan to go and get some photos of it travelling the "right" way round like Wilbert does. There are much better photo opportunities with it facing that way. 

I am very mindful that I haven't done this yet, and Wednesday 28th October is the very last mid week steam day for quite a while. I have somehow managed to mess up my left shoulder which is so painful that I am a bit "precious" about it when there is a risk of barging into others (like Warley Show in a month!!). Been X-Rayed and now we are 10 days into the long silence whilst they sit and do nothing with the digital shots they took. But i must manage to pull off these photos - hope it's 5541 on Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

• RMweb Gold

But i must manage to pull off these photos - hope it's 5541 on Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

Hope you feel better soon! At the moment its 3806 'Wilbert' down for Wednesday's running I'm afraid (however this can change though so don't hold me to it). Otherwise 5541 might be back out on the Santa specials!

Hope you feel better soon! At the moment its 3806 'Wilbert' down for Wednesday's running I'm afraid (however this can change though so don't hold me to it). Otherwise 5541 might be back out on the Santa specials!

Thanks for the information. I was hoping it was going to be 5541 going in the "right direction" so I might have to have a rethink.

Edited by ParkeNd

It's Wednesday - and it wasn't Wilbert.

Yippee - it was 5541 the right way round.  :yahoo_mini:

Photos soon.

• Like 2

Excellent.

We trailered some horse manure over to a friend this morning whose house is just outside Lydney, high up, on the Bream Road. It has a commanding view across the town and onto the Severn and Sharpness. Whilst sat having a coffe in the conservatory there was a whistle followed by a trail of white 'puffs' rising above the buildings and trees below as a train headed west from Lydney Town. A very evocative sight and sound. I wondered what loco it was.

Looking forward to your photos Parkend.

• Like 1