The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Somewhere in the Forest of Dean

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I was surprised too when I arrived at Lydney town this morning, although that is why I said don't hold me to it!

I turned up off duty and ended up giving people a travelling history tour whilst they rode in the 1948 Hawksworth saloon...A good day all in all :-) look forward to your pictures

Wdnesday 28th October 2015. What in the calendar looks like the DFR last steam day this year - certainly on a weekday. And what a splendid day it was with 5541 travelling in the "right" direction - front ways from Lydney Junction to Parkend for a change. There were lots of passengers and the Owners Inspection Salon was in use on the train.

Here is a selection of 14 pictures showing 5541 leaving Whitecroft, arriving at Parkend, running round the train, taking on water, hooking up to start back to Norchard in reverse, arriving at Norchard, and hanging around for a bit.

_DSC1001_zpshtng7p7h.jpg

_DSC1005_zpsimj71xlx.jpg

_DSC1008_zpsjgdknk2c.jpg

_DSC1010_zpsvhsijuq5.jpg

_DSC1013_zpsgnxkxd96.jpg

_DSC1016_zpsiyuxplij.jpg

_DSC1023_zps0zshfpxw.jpg

_DSC1020_zpsn7scjoda.jpg

_DSC1026_zpsp1phwhod.jpg

_DSC1034_zps2vqevzal.jpg

_DSC0990_zpszutatxac.jpg

_DSC0995_zpss8x1qth5.jpg

_DSC0997_zps7pic9bgt.jpg

_DSC0993_zps863ko7gr.jpg

• Like 10

Awww can't see me...never mind ;-) were these take on the first trip?

It was foggy early on at home so schedule was :-

11.15. Buy new Neil Parkhouse book at Norchard.

11.30 Photograph 5541 arriving backwards at Norchard.

11.40. Coffee and cheese toaste at Norchard.

12.29. Photograph 5541 arriving then leaving Whitecroft.

12.40. Photograph 5541 at Parkend.

13.45. Arrive back home in Wye valley.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Extremely nice photos, spoilt only by the plethora of high vis jackets, worn not just by operating staff but often in my experience by staff who go nowhere near anything that might move or endanger them (and not just on preserved railways). But I suppose we have to put up with them, and hard hats. Do those who wear them think they protect them? Or is it saying "I work here"?

Jonathan

Extremely nice photos, spoilt only by the plethora of high vis jackets, worn not just by operating staff but often in my experience by staff who go nowhere near anything that might move or endanger them (and not just on preserved railways). But I suppose we have to put up with them, and hard hats. Do those who wear them think they protect them? Or is it saying "I work here"?

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the comments - glad you liked the photos.

The orange hi-vis vests are harder to manage in photographs than the old standard yellow ones. Several shots do have to be discarded when the "glare" from the jackets is much brighter than the surroundings - my bike jackets can do that when caught at the right angle. But I accept this as something I have to work around as a guest at DFR. Having been a Logistics Manager all my life I knew (certainly in the last 15 years or so) that a responsible manager can suffer horrific penalties if anyone is hurt - especially not wearing a hi-vis vest. We used to make everyone wear one outside in the yards, even delivery drivers and customers - and they only cost 90p each when bought in bulk and were provided free.

No doubt someone from DFR will respond - but I guess even for passengers wanting to know where the loo is on a station it's useful to have that logo when looking for someone to ask - and if they are worn with pride then I reckon that's all the better.

Edited by ParkeNd

• RMweb Gold

Jonathan

As someone who enjoys railway photgraphy myself, I have to agree that hi-vis jackets don't half ruin a lot of my pictures.

However putting my railway hat on, hi-vis' are mandotary for all trackside roles on the DFR - crossing keeping being one of those jobs - and not wearing a hi-vis in these roles can lead to disciplinary action. We're working with big moving machines and usually a road too, so it is good to be as visible as possible. It is also DFR policy not to wear high vis jackets on the platform (you'll note the guard taking the token has his in his hand - he will shortly go trackside and operate the ground frame), because it is not classed as railway uniform, it is classed as 'health & saftey clothing'.

I speak for pretty much all of the DFR staff when I say we try and get out of the way as and where we can when operating the railway but unfortunately sometimes it is unavoidable - however more often than not its in the best photography places...!  :resent: You've just got look around and think 'Can I move out of shot?'. If the answer is no then if I can I usually apologise to the photog in question (you didn't get me in any of your shots so I'm good!). 

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 1

Jonathan

Just gone back to look through those latest pics posted, in view of this comment, & have to come back and ask "What 'plethora' of HiVis jackets??"

Two guys in HiVis working the crossing is hardly a "plethora", is it? And these days just good common sense for that role, dealing with road traffic. In the last photo the guy on the left 'spoiling' the shot just has a very bright coat on - he looks like a visitor to me, not Railway staff!!!

Sorry to get a bit pedantic but in defense of the DFR, & as Dan says above, they are one heritage line that are very conscious of not overdosing on the HiVis if at all possible.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offence of cast aspersions about the DFR. It was simply that seeing the two in orange (for good reasons) prompted the more general comment. It is not just preserved railways, not just railways, where many people these days seem to wear them even in roles where they are in no danger. My concern is that they may become so common that their message is lost, and those who need to notice them cease to do so because they are "normal".

Jonathan

Makes one wonder how former railway employees survived!  Cap, waistcoat, tuned up sleeves and maybe a flag.  Suddenly, all that was not good enough and now they are enveloped from head to toe in Hviz and hardhats; be thankful these guys have the minimum adornment.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

A bit off piste, but no, The records of accidents and deaths will exist. When Colin Chapman was researching the Taff Vale Railway he collected the HMI accidents reports, which were made even for fairly minor injuries to staff. For example, on 2 March 1869 Lt-Col F C Rich wrote to the Secretary, Railway Department, Board of Trade, about an accident on the TVR on 30 January when a passenger, a Mr Evans, was killed while attempting to cross the TVR at Walnut Tree Bridge station after alighting from a Rhymney Railway train. And there are many reports where the result was injury rather than death. And there was a major enquiry at the end of the 19th century into railwaymen's hours in which accident statistics were prominent.

But this is a diversion. Please keep up the photos of the DFR. 

Jonathan

My copy of 'Forest of Dean Lines' arrived yesterday. Lots of lovely colour pics. When painting the buildings for Clinkerford, I assumed that the station buildings in Cinderford were built from red forest stone. Only now do I discover that they were grey! Thank goodness I didn't build an exact replica of Cinderford.

post-7952-0-04527100-1446625686_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I'm in the process of building anew the first 4 scratch buildings I made on my Parkend layout. These are Railway Cottages (in their Neil Parkhouse new book configuration), the Goods Shed, Station building, and the old shop that used to stand next to the signal box.

So far the first two have got this far - lots more to do.

2015-11-14-11.51.56%20ZS%20DMap_zpsrv0xu

2015-11-14-12.27.59%20ZS%20DMap_zpsijprj

To help myself I went over to Parkend and took loads of detail photos like this :-

_DSC1097_zps5xiwlbcp.jpg

Whilst there I thought Parkend looked immaculate at end of season so took a few more photos whilst there :-

_DSC1116_zpsmvypccyj.jpg

_DSC1115_zps4nfsn8sm.jpg

_DSC1111_zpscs3ghmm4.jpg

_DSC1106_zpstwhstndc.jpg

_DSC1118_zpsfgrganvx.jpg

• Like 8

Excellent pictures, it looks as though the line could continue to Cinderford!.  If only NR kept up their property as nice!  I like the siding through what appears to be someone's neatly trimmed lawn instead of by the goods shed.

Brian.

My first visit to Parkend was 1973 and it looked like this. I have several pictures I took on the same day but this one shows the same siding from the other side of the goods shed - minus what Brian says looks like a lawn now.

FODC%20trains%2003_zps2penhesn.jpg

Edited by ParkeNd
  • Like 4