The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Lord (Richard) Attenborough dies

beast66606

• RMweb Premium

90 is a pretty decent age to reach, and after a pretty busy life as well.

R.I.P. 'Dick'

Edit: change Dickie to Dick, as I've read that he always wanted to be called Dick. Here's hoping it doesn't fall foul of the word censor.

• RMweb Gold

A great life in the film industry and a man who has delivered us some very impressive acting over the years.  I wasn't so impressed with some of his directing where he seemed to get far too much into political messages but for all that an absolute 'great' of the cinematic world.  R.I.P.

(And what a season of 'tribute' films we could now get on TV - perhaps a decent memorial to his talents)

• RMweb Premium

I've just noticed that 'In Which We Serve', Richard Attenborough's first film, was shown on BBC2 on Saturday (before he died), and is available on iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0074sgt/in-which-we-serve

A role I remember Richard played very well was as a typically British Sergeant Major in Africa where an indigenous troop descended on the camp to kick British ass. Due mostly to his wit and experience, they found themselves on a sticky wicket!

I believe that's 'Guns at Batasi', if the information in the obituraries is correct.

I worked with him closely for a few years on the rebuilding of RADA in the late '90s, and he was an extremely generous and thoughtful man. One of the few people who was able to pick up the phone to Royalty or whoever just like that..... But never for his own ends - always for one of the many charities he very actively supported (and put his hand deeply in his own pocket for).

He was quite extraordinary, particularly in the things he did for others - aside from his acting and directing achievements.

Very sad to hear of his passing this morning - one of the old school and a true gentleman in every sense of the word. The variety of roles he played was quite unusual, from kindly old gents to the likes of real villains in '10 Rillington Place', it's a shame that some of his films don't get the regualr airing they deserve. Does anyone remember a film he starred in alongside David Hemmings in 1968 called 'Only When I Laugh'...? I think it's only ever been shown on terrestrial TV once in the '80s which is when I saw it - based on a Len Deighton novel, it's a proper late '60s hiest / caper movie and so far is unavailable on DVD.

One of my favourite roles of his was the boatyard owner in 'Dunkirk'.

RIP 'Dickie boo-hoo', you will be missed.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone remember a film he starred in alongside David Hemmings in 1968 called 'Only When I Laugh'...? I think it's only ever been shown on terrestrial TV once in the '80s which is when I saw it - based on a Len Deighton novel, it's a proper late '60s hiest / caper movie and so far is unavailable on DVD.

http://www.ovguide.com/only-when-i-larf-9202a8c04000641f80000000177784b8

Archived